"war" quotes

g8trz2003

after hearing KG and Winslow, etc. quotes (I know this is not directly after it happened, but miami15's sig reminded me of this) I think it's all b.s. No, not their quotes...but the negative press.

KG and Winslow both know they aren't soldiers, and they both know that running around caves in Afghanistan is a helluva lot tougher than playin a game (no matter how physically demanding that game is). They both know that, and people make war analogies to sports all the time...especially football. Hell, am I the only one that has heard a coach say something to the extent of "this is war boys!" in a pregame speech, or hear such terms as "offense", "defense", "in the trenches", or "air assault"? It's a f*cking game, and KG and Winslow know that. I'm sure they respect soldiers...they were just making an analogy.

So, anyway, I guess what I'm tryin to say is that the negative press is bullsh*t. They're speaking their mind...I've heard people use a war analogy when talking about sports before, and I'll hear it again. No reason to get offended.

I agree, man. The negative press was warrented to KG because he thought the time out to think of every gun, but K II was just pissed, and it was anger.

I read a good article a while back on Mark Cuban's site about war and sports, I'll try to go find that.

Here's one:

This Means War!

KG's Words? No, Doc - Bugs Bunny's

Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com - Posted: 5/22/04

Back to Directory...

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com

Kevin Garnett? Meet Bugs Bunny.

I'd like to discuss Kevin Garnett and his war-like comments, and how that sort of commentary is simply an unmovable, non-erasable, maybe even integral part of the sporting landscape, and was before KG, before BB, maybe even before the creation of the ancient Olympics.

But political correctness forces me to tiptoe as to not step on a landmine. ... (oh, wait, can I say landmine?)

Anyway, since KG's pre-Game 7 bombshell. ... (can I say bombshell?) ? there has been a barrage (can I say barrage?) of fallout (can I say fallout?) as Garnett has been bombarded (can I say bombarded?) with a firestorm (can I say firestorm?) of attacks (can I say attacks?)

ESPN and SportsCenter have been especially tough on Garnett, different talking heads expressing their fake-deep sensitivity and their fake-deep patriotism by decrying KG?s remarks as ?out of bounds.??

(Oh, wait. ? isn?t ?out of bounds? a sports metaphor? If we shouldn?t use military metaphors to discuss sports, should we also not use sports metaphors to discuss war? Geez, I?m confused. ?)

Here?s what Garnett said on Monday:

?This is it, all the marbles. I'm sitting in the house loading up the pump, I'm loading up the Uzis, I've got a couple of M-16s, couple of [guns] with some silencers on them, couple of grenades, got a missile launcher. I'm ready for war."

Anybody got a problem with that?

Well, Frank Schaeffer doesn?t. But what does he know? All he is is the author of ?Faith Of Our Sons: A Father?s Wartime Diary,?? and the parent of a young Marine who just returned from 11 months in Iraq.

?We?re from Boston, so of course we?re sports fans,?? Schaeffer tells me. ?John was quite an athlete in school, and naturally, when we talked about his performance and his passion, we used war-like language, war-like terms. That?s the way we talk!

?To say this is even a controversy, that?s a reach,?? says. ?It?s a very natural thing, using terms from war and sports. War and sports, those are two things that young American men have a right to be passionate about. It?s a natural mix. I?m certainly not offended.??

I bow to anyone with a military tie who is offended, of course. (And so does KG, who politely apologized for his statement the next day. Apologized ? or, as yet another fake-deep SportsCenter head shrieked wrongly, ?backpedaled!??) At the same time, I would suggest that this gargantuan non-story recalls the fake-deep outrage some commentators expressed regarding sports-as-war talk in the wake of 9-11. I recall Sports Illustrated writing a blistering editorial chastising anyone who in the future would dare display such a lack of perspective as to refer to a long pass as a ?bomb,?? or to refer to the line of scrimmage as ?the trenches,?? or to say a game is a ?battle.??

And then, I recall, came the Super Bowl. And Sports Illustrated?s terrific writers settled into the way we talk, referring to The Big Game with good ol? handy and confortable war-related terms.

?The bomb,?? ?the trenches,?? ?a gun for an arm,?? ? Just because it?s politically correct doesn?t make it correct. Sensitivity plus common sense, that?s the answer. Otherwise we?d have burn victims protesting against the Miami Heat, somebody whose wife drowned picketing the Lakers, and a guy who as a young child once got thrown by a horse suing the Mavericks.

Do we remember that when Bugs Bunny famously said ?This means wahr!?? we were actually at wahr? And how insensitive were the artists at Warner Bros., who after all, were only involved with a ?wahr?? pitting a wabbit against a doofus hunter, a pompous singer, a tiny Martian and a scheming dog?

I will grant you, Garnett (and the rest of us) would be wise to issue a terrifically passionate monologue like his with some inserted perspective. For instance:

?I'm sitting in the house loading up the basketball equivalent of a pump, loading up the basketball equivalent of Uzis, I've got a couple of basketball equivalent of M-16s, couple of basketball equivalent of [guns] with some basketball equivalent of silencers on them, couple of basketball equivalent of grenades, got a basketball equivalent of a missile launcher. I'm ready for the basketball equivalent of war."

OK, it?s a little awkward. But would that make everyone feel better?

It takes a certain level of zealotry and an incredible level of commitment to be a soldier. While I fully recognize the vast gap between the two, doesn?t it also take a certain level of zealotry and an incredible level of commitment to be a quarterback? A goalie? A boxer? An NBA superstar attempting to win a Game 7?

When the University of Miami?s Kellen Winslow talked of being a ?warrior?? (and got suspended for it, thanks to more SportsCenter fake-deep outrage). ? wasn?t he simply expressing his thoughts ? in the strongest terms possible ? on how it feels to be a tight end who had just spent three hours absorbing the mind-numbing and body-busting blows of safeties and linebackers?

Me? I dig the passion. As much as I love Steve Nash, I was a little disappointed at his Mavs-Kings prepatory ?It?s only a game?? speech. ?Steve,?? I wanted to tell him, ?I know it?s only a game. That?s obvious. To say so is almost redundant. ? But we want you to approach it like IT?S NOT ONLY A GAME!??

Going over the middle to make a catch. Stepping into a 90-MPH pitch. Diving face-first into an oncoming puck. These things aren?t war. They are, however, the peacetime answer to war. They are how we test our ?warrior mentality?? when we are fortunate enough to not have a real war. They are as close as we get to war with just the outcome of the game on the line, rather than our lives.

So Kevin Garnett wanted to go to BASKETBALL war. And I dig that. I wish people were less disturbed by the alleged insensitivity to our troops (who, I bet, themselves use war analogies when they?re in the huddle during pick-up football games) and more disturbed by KG?s specific references to weaponry (It took me a couple of days to realize that it?s not the US military that uses ?silencers?? but rather Chicago street thugs who do).

I wish people were more into what the man is feeling than the words he used to express those feelings.

And most of all, I?m with my man Frank, the Marine?s dad, who says, ?I?m not bothered by the athletes who use war-like terms, because at least they show some awareness of what?s going on. The people who I?m much more bothered by are the ones who pay no attention to the troops at all.??

And here's Mark Cuban's take:

(These guys seem to agree with you FurmanGator)

Guilt by Headline - The coverage is the story

Before the season started, I made a comment to Pat O?Brien of Access Hollywood that I thought the volume of media coverage of the Kobe Bryant trial would result in higher TV ratings for his games and for the NBA in general (turns out I was right). USA Today ran a headline saying that I said, ?rape was good for NBA.? Which I never said. USA Today knew that this headline would gather attention, so they went with it.

The media jumped all over it and made the headline, rather than what I said in the story. It was picked up everywhere. Access Hollywood jumped in the fray and proactively sent out copies of the tape, using out of context sound bites that played to the coverage of the USA Today headline. Access Hollywood and USA Today got what they wanted: free advertising. Hundreds of thousands of media impressions quoting or referencing USA Today, Access Hollywood or both.

The question I had then, is the same question I have now? What is the goal of these media outlets? How do they define what is ?newsworthy.? It sure appears to me that the news media has evolved from ?all the news that is fit to print? to ?How much free publicity can we get from this story??

We are now in an era where media searches for stories that will generate media coverage of the story. Stories are written not for the value they bring the readers, viewers or listeners, but rather the volume of coverage they will bring.

Which leads me to the coverage of Kevin Garnett?s war metaphors. Maybe you think his comments comparing his perspective on Game 7 to war as inappropriate, maybe you don?t care. That is not the issue to me. My question is the role of the media.

They all stood there with their recorders on as KG spoke and took in his comments. Did a single person standing around him ask him if he was sure he wanted to go on the record with those comments? Did anyone jump in and remind him that some might consider the comments insensitive? That maybe he wanted to recant or go off the record so the media wouldn?t quote him?

Lets think this through. If the problem was that families of those serving our country would be offended by the comments, why didn?t a single media member put the feelings of those people above their need to have a headline?

Everyone in the media has a ?headline generator? in their mind when they are doing an interview. They are never surprised by the headlines. They knew exactly what would happen. They would write the story, and the headlines would be KG?s war metaphor. Then KG would have to apologize, and that story would be carried worldwide. The story about the story.

And what about all the newswires that distributed the comments to every media outlet in the world and the outlets that ran, read or presented those comments? Where was the sympathy for the families that KG is accused of not having? If these comments are so insensitive, why run them? What KG said was heard by not more than 15 people. He didn?t put out a press release.

If someone standing with a microphone in KGs face was insulted by the comments, he or she could have said so and KG could have apologized to them. Beyond the media in the room, if the family of a service member is upset because of what they read, saw or heard in the media, why isn?t the company or person who distributed the comments responsible?

It?s typical media hypocrisy with a sad conclusion. We say it not because there is information that we feel our customers want to know, but rather because all of media has become so self-serving that a new media quid pro quo has evolved. You run our vapid stories with attribution and we will run yours.

everyone looks back at the K2 quote like its gonna follow him forever and that he was attacking every soldier at war. please. these are the same people who call the sooners "stoops troops" and actually hype up "war on ice 10" (not a joke, that actually is a figure skating event)

i think that kg gets away with what he said because he never called himself a soldier. and because hes the NBA mvp

We, as a country, are too overly concerned with saying the politically correct thing and are sometimes too sensitive on comments with regards to race and other items. It has gotten to a ridiculous point that no matter what someone says, it is taken out of context and manipulated into a poor context making the person look bad. It's truly ridiculous.

We, as a country, are too overly concerned with saying the politically correct thing and are sometimes too sensitive on comments with regards to race and other items. It has gotten to a ridiculous point that no matter what someone says, it is taken out of context and manipulated into a poor context making the person look bad. It's truly ridiculous.

Definitley.

so was ANYONE outraged/offended/pissed off/turned off with the quotes either when they were first said or now?

I know after the Winslow quote I thought it was hilarious that he was getting negative press, because I think he's a little b*tch who only had 1 TD last season, and threw up the Heisman pose....but after the fact I realized that there really wasn't anything wrong with what he said...

so was ANYONE outraged/offended/pissed off/turned off with the quotes either when they were first said or now?

I know after the Winslow quote I thought it was hilarious that he was getting negative press, because I think he's a little b*tch who only had 1 TD last season, and threw up the Heisman pose....but after the fact I realized that there really wasn't anything wrong with what he said...

I didn't care, they were not in any way degrading what the people over seas are doing. People can't speak their mind anymore with out being ridiculed in some way

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.