Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kendry Morales Defects

Featured Replies

Reported on BBTN that Kendry Morales had defected and is in Miami.

 

Anyone have additional news? Any chance the Marlins organization could nab him?

Peter Gammons reported on BBTN that Kendry Morales had defected and is in Miami.

 

Anyone have additional news? Any chance the Marlins organization could nab him?

He's a 21 yr old OF/3B power switch-hitter. Considered the best player in cuba since Omar Linares. Got kicked off the cuban national team for alleged attempts to escape.

 

I'd love it if the fish signed him, gave him a year in the minors to get used to the baseball here (and baseball in general, since he hasn't played professionally in about a year) and let him take over LF for conine in the future.

Peter Gammons reported on BBTN that Kendry Morales had defected and is in Miami.

 

Anyone have additional news? Any chance the Marlins organization could nab him?

He's a 21 yr old OF/3B power switch-hitter. Considered the best player in cuba since Omar Linares. Got kicked off the cuban national team for alleged attempts to escape.

 

I'd love it if the fish signed him, gave him a year in the minors to get used to the baseball here (and baseball in general, since he hasn't played professionally in about a year) and let him take over LF for conine in the future. That's Hermida's job.

Peter Gammons reported on BBTN that Kendry Morales had defected and is in Miami.

 

Anyone have additional news? Any chance the Marlins organization could nab him?

He's a 21 yr old OF/3B power switch-hitter. Considered the best player in cuba since Omar Linares. Got kicked off the cuban national team for alleged attempts to escape.

 

I'd love it if the fish signed him, gave him a year in the minors to get used to the baseball here (and baseball in general, since he hasn't played professionally in about a year) and let him take over LF for conine in the future. That's Hermida's job. :o Ah, good point, forgot about him

 

He played most infield positions in cuba, Could take over for gonzo if his bat doesn't keep improving.

 

He did get 21 homeruns, 82 RBI and 114 hits in 2003 in cuba's national baseball series. Supposed to be pretty good with the glove as well.

 

I also remember reading somewhere that when he was younger, he had great interest in following his dads footsteps, and turning into a catcher. :shifty

Found the article, A little old, but he did want to be a catcher.

 

Kendry Morales: ?I?d like to be a catcher?

 

? Only 18 years old, Cuban baseball?s new gem is playing for Industriales this season ? He dreams of joining the island?s national team

 

BY ANNE-MARIE GARCIA (Special for Granma International)

 

HITTING homeruns left-handed and right-handed, this winning pitcher is equally at home in the infield and the outfield. But new Cuban baseball gem Kendry Morales is frustrated because he wants to be a catcher!

 

He will be 19 years old on June 20, 2002. He speaks deliberately, in an unperturbed way, despite the hullabaloo of the almost 25,000 people gathered in the Latin American Stadium to watch Industriales vs. Mexico?s Diablos Rojos.

 

He smiles when we find this strange, explaining: "Sure, I?m a bit matter-of-fact. It?s a quality that helps me avoid putting pressure on myself during the game. And off the field, it helps me to deal with the bit of fame that has come my way so quickly."

 

The Diablos Rojos game was the first time he?d faced a professional squad. His team, Industriales, won 7-3, and Kendry Morales connected in the 7th inning, batting the night?s only homerun right-handed, and pitching without allowing any runs in the game?s last inning.

 

A VERSATILE PLAYER

 

He shrugs his shoulders and explains that it was logical for him to begin playing baseball. "I was nine years old and did what all Cuban children do, as baseball is our national sport."

 

He crosses his arms with the sureness of a man who is 1.84 meters tall and weighs 94 kilograms.

 

Kendry continues his reminiscences: "My dad was a catcher and he wanted me to play that position too." Is this where his frustration at not being a catcher comes from? "I really don?t know. My father always wanted me to play baseball and saw a lot of possibilities for my development in the game."

 

And the boy developed; he can now pitch and bat, a combination that is not very common.

 

"I remember when I pitched in the junior team in 1998, I was the most valuable player and played on the all-star team at the Pan American championships.

 

"It?s not easy being a versatile player in Cuban baseball. I really prefer to be a pitcher, but coaches have always used me in offense, because of my batting strength. both left- and right-handed."

 

He adds, "I feel sure of myself batting on either side, but I?m more comfortable left-handed."

 

Kendry isn?t afraid of any pitcher he might face. "This is my first season with a major team and I don?t have much experience. I don?t care if the pitcher is left- or right-handed, but I?ve never actually faced a super-class pitcher," he acknowledged.

 

After 41 games in the current national series, Kendry Morales has scored 11 homeruns, meaning he?s second in the league, has a .310 average, and has hit 38 runs, taking him into the lead for this series.

 

But in spite of all those achievements, he points out: "I?ve hardly been used as a pitcher, but I think the batter I fear the most is Antonio Pacheco, because of his power and experience."

 

Kendry is a bit surprised when asked about his defects. "I don?t know," he replies, adding "I think it?s important to work and practice a lot to improve. I like to spend a lot of time on the baseball field and train in all the positions ? fielding, batting, pitching, running... everything."

 

IGNORING THE FAME

 

Kendry Morales finished 12th grade and is working on a sports and physical education degree. He likes romantic music and listens to it at home to relax.

 

"I devote all my time to baseball, so when there?s no game or training sessions I stay at home and rest. I felt pretty tired after a game, because I like to give my all on the field."

 

His excellent playing in last season?s Pan American Junior Championships, held in Cuba, was very impressive, which is why fans had high hopes for Kendry?s debut in the series this season.

 

Nowadays, many players wait impatiently, while others fear the batting turn of this rare bird, who quickly stands to the catcher?s left or right.

 

He knows that all the baseball commentators are reporting on him and accepts it with a certain nonchalance.

 

"I try to behave professionally and not take much notice of what people say. I?m not saying that I don?t care what they think, but it?s not necessary to take what other people say too seriously. The most important thing for me is paying attention to my coach and team."

 

But Kendry doesn?t deny that being famous isn?t easy. "It?s all come to me very quickly," he recognizes almost with resignation. And he wonders, "What can I do? I have to get used to it, I?ve just started my career. I?m lucky to have the help of my coach, my trainer, my teammates and above all my mom."

 

He tells how people recognize him on the street and want to talk to him: "The good thing is they acknowledge my sacrifice. The bad thing is that sometimes I don?t even have time to talk to my friends. If they stop me for a chat and I say no, they say I?m arrogant and grouchy."

 

The 18-year-old who has become an indispensable player in his first season with Industriales adds, "My dream is to play for the Cuban national team one day and win a great title."

First off...I couldn't be any happier for Morales. He was basically placed on house arrest and expelled from the Cuban Pro League because he had attempted to defect previously (they talked a LOT about him in that series on Cuban bball MLB/ESPN did a few months back...).

 

Second, I've always been of the opinion that it'd be a HUGE boost for the Marlins if they were to sign a big time Cuban defector like Morales. The Cuban community loves and embraces its players, and having one like Morales would bring more and more Cubans to the park!!! (i.e. remember livan??)

 

-------

 

Welcome to the big time Kendry...go out and live your dream! :notworthy :thumbup

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.