Patience!

Look, guys. Settle down. We are 35-28 and 1.5 games in first.

Sure, our offense has been inconsistent, but every team will struggle. (Even the Yankees' O has struggled, just ask Derek Jeter) But we have a pretty good set of hitters, all things considered. JP, Castillo, Lowell, Cabs - all will hit over or around .300. You can bank on it. Not to mention, they all make a lot of contact so there will be plenty of opportunity to get things going offensively. Choi has been pretty good so far - but has played essentially like a rookie. He has had his up and downs, but is turning the corner. AGon is finally hitting the ball with some authority and that is, believe it or not, what he is capable of doing. And that is our 'hole' in the lineup. Castro was stinking up the place, all we did was replace him with a solid hitter like Treanor who is 5/13 and had good numbers at AAA. He and Redmond will be a very nice platoon around .280 10-15HRs. Conine is not hitting as bad as you all may think. .279 4HR 20RBI. Solid. He has 26K/19BB in 190ABs - that means he is putting the ball in play. He is a vet and he will come around (pssst...hit him 3rd and he will be excellent, I gurantee it). Figure in a very good bench with Harris and Easely along with Mordy and Nunez and we look pretty good.

We have the best starting rotation in the NL East (and maybe the whole NL). Beckett will recover and be dominating in no time. As will Burnett - after about 40IP you will start to see him turn the corner and start pitching better. Penny is an All Star right now and Willis and Pavs have quietly put together 6 wins each while pitching very consistently. With our starters, we wont have to endure very long losing streaks - another reason why this team is 7 games above .500 as opposed to 2-3 games over (ahem...Phillies).

We have the best closer in the NL East. Benitez has been lights out.

Our bullpen will come around. Perisho has been excellent. Oliver has been very good out of the pen - 1.13 ERA since becoming a reliever. Howard has a great fastball and will get aclimated. Dont forget Phelps will be back in the pen when Beckett returns Thursday. Neu and Bump could be very solid as well and both have quality arms.

So dont loose sight of things. Remember, this is a marathon. Like last year when we were 10 games out, we kept chipping away and climbed back in. This year is the opposite. We are 7 games above .500 right now. If we are struggling now, and it appears we are, playing .500 ball still leaves us 7 games above .500. No one in the NL East has been able to maintain that level of consistency.

So relax, and be patient. Things will come around for this team. And dont be so quick to make a deal.

I agree with you almost everywhere but here is where i dont...

1. Conine: 20 rbis at this point from one of your "rbi" guys is not solid. I dont care that he isn't hitting bombs, but we need more than 20 rbis coming from left field.

2. While I agree that the bullpen will be better...i dont think we can put much faith in Neu or Bump, I like Howard....but an upgrade from neu or bump is needed, a genuine set up guy if Howard cant take the job

3. Be careful talking about our record..... after our 8-1 start we have been playing 500 ball......not a good sign.....

I agree, peeps need to be patient, some current elements will get better....but some things need to change.... niner or the catching situation need to be replaced..... and i say we need one legit, genuine set up man for benitez....

Oliver is a solid pitcher. He does seem to be a better reliever because even as a starter, he was good for 3 innings. As a reliever, that is not a problem for him.

I want to see Oliver come out of the bullpen in a pressure situation before I decide whether he is good coming out of the bullpen.

After winning the title last year I can't complain for another 5 years.

same it could be worse we could be Mariner fans......

good season after good season chance after chance and now look at em...... oppertunity is gone.......

we ha d our chance and took it all the way to the bank.......

so being 7 games ova...... i cant complain.........

After winning the title last year I can't complain for another 5 years.

same it could be worse we could be Mariner fans......

good season after good season chance after chance and now look at em...... oppertunity is gone.......

we ha d our chance and took it all the way to the bank.......

so being 7 games ova...... i cant complain......... My thoughts exactly. With the Marlins winning it all in 2003, we should be appreciative of what we have NOW and what they are putting up.... considering what weve had in past years with guys like Bruce Aven and Kevin Orie making up the lineup along with the development of our players, the sub-500 seasons. I wouldnt mind a few losing seasons in order to win it all at the end when some teams *COUGH* REDSOX *COUGH* cant do the same with a continuous lineup of great quality year after year.

Look, guys. Settle down. We are 35-28 and 1.5 games in first.

Yeah were stillin first place but you know the Phillies are going to have to get hot sooner or later and if we continue playing like this than were going to lose the lead.

And when we have the chance to get a bigger lead(when the Phils lose) and we dont than it still hurts even though we stay the same amount of games ahead of them.