Rays are latest to overshadow world champs

Rays are latest to overshadow world champs

Published by news-press.com on July 4, 2004

MIAMI ? Some folks believe something got into the bay area?s water two years ago, what with the Buccaneers and Lightning sipping championship bubbly. Now that the Devil Rays are closer to the Red Sox than the Red Sox are to the Yankees, it?s submitted as Exhibit C that Tampa Bay?s coolers are spiked.

But that?s not the view from down here. The Florida Marlins see a sinister force at work.

The Marlins beat the Evil Empire but, naturally, they were washed into the background when Texas made history by moving baseball?s record-high contract.

The Marlins were defending champs but, naturally, they drowned in the Red Sox and Cubs? preseason ink, each forlorn club threatening to snap its dry spell. Florida has been an afterthought all year.

So, naturally, the Devil Rays? energy boost from Sweet Lou wouldn?t kick in until THIS season. Of course Tampa Bay would wait until NOW, finally rising from its franchise-long slumber to smack opponents as it stretches and straightens. The D-Rays? emergence isn?t about a Tampa Bay team riding the wave of success from Bucs to Bolts. It?s about an ongoing conspiracy to keep the Marlins out of the spotlight.

With the majors? best record since May 20, Tampa Bay has taken baseball by storm. But it?s merely the latest offender to steal Florida?s thunder.

?They all stole it,? Marlins utilityman Lenny Harris said. ?Look at the commercials and baseball and MLB commercials. It?s all Yankees. And we won it last year. We don?t have many (national) TV games from winning a championship.

?Now Tampa Bay?s stealing it. But we played 77 games and was still in first place and wasn?t even playing that good.?

Through 81 games they?re still not playing well, but they?re no longer in first. Tampa Bay remains baseball?s best Sunshine State story, with a 6-1 spanking Saturday night. It gave the D-Rays 30 wins in their last 40 games overall, and back-to-back wins at Pro Player Stadium for the first time.

?We?d much rather be where they are than where we are,? manager Lou Piniella said, nodding toward to the home team?s clubhouse. ?Believe me.?

Piniella refers to the big picture, Florida having a title in hand, a slew of stud starters and a payroll nearly $15 million larger than his. And while D-Ray fans are giddy to be over .500 (40-38) in June ? a first ? Florida remains a better bet to reach the postseason. Despite reeling to their 11th loss in their last 15 games, the Marlins are just two games behind Philly in the NL East.

?The way we?ve gone about winning has gotten us a lot of notoriety, which is great for our team and organization,? D-Rays first baseman Tino Martinez said. ?But the team over there is just a week or two worth of games from getting hot and being back where they belong.

?Fortunately we?ve caught them at a time when they?re not playing very well and I think the notoriety is great. But they?re the world champs.?

You can?t tell which team is which currently, heading into today?s Citrus Series finale (Tampa Bay leads, 4-1). Baseball is now getting an electric charge from the D-Rays, the latest surge in an apparent attempt to shorten-out the Marlins.

? E-mail: [email protected]

This team is starting to change it's mentality from bloated champion to underdog again.

439906[/snapback]

I think that's good. Some horses set the pace and others are closers. This Marlins team has never shown they can set the pace...they have shown the ability to close.

From the Article "The Marlins WERE defending champs...."

What the hell? We ARE the defending champs until a champ is crowned at the end of this season.

439907[/snapback]

No, this team is changing it's mentality. That is what the article is basically saying. They are going from champs to underdog, a role the Marlins thrive in.

Rays overshadowing the Marlins? In what way? Rays still don't get any respect from no one...

439917[/snapback]

Bull, they are all the talk on BBTN and SportsCenter.

439920[/snapback]

During that 12 game winning streak we got some coverage but since then... I've heard nothing...

Rays overshadowing the Marlins? In what way? Rays still don't get any respect from no one...

439917[/snapback]

439920[/snapback]

During that 12 game winning streak we got some coverage but since then... I've heard nothing...

439925[/snapback]

I've heard alot more than when the Marlins went on that 7 game streak to start the season.

439917[/snapback]

439920[/snapback]

439925[/snapback]

I've heard alot more than when the Marlins went on that 7 game streak to start the season.

439928[/snapback]

Of course Cape... since then the Fish are 34-40...

The Rays on May 19th were 10-28, worst in the Majors... and since May 20th they're 30-10...

Rays still get no respect from no one...

439917[/snapback]

439920[/snapback]

439925[/snapback]

439928[/snapback]

The Rays on May 19th were 10-28, worst in the Majors... and since May 20th they're 30-10...

439937[/snapback]

Let me also add that the Rays were 6 games away from Baltimore (4th) and 9 games away from Toronto (3rd) on May 19th...

Today they are 5.5 games over both Toronto and Baltimore... and in 3rd... only 2 away from Boston...

Point?

The D'Rays have turned it on and may be breaking out years of Mediocrity.

But do you think anyone here gives a damn enough for every thread and game chat to devolve into discussing if the D'Rays can finish 4th or maybe even 3rd this year?

You don't see the resident Cubs and Yankees discussing their teams here. They use the MLB forum.

439917[/snapback]

439920[/snapback]

439925[/snapback]

439928[/snapback]

439937[/snapback]

Like anyone other than Cubs/Yankees/Boston gets any respect anyways.

Point?

The D'Rays have turned it on and may be breaking out years of Mediocrity.

But do you think anyone here gives a damn enough for every thread and game chat to devolve into discussing if the D'Rays can finish 4th or maybe even 3rd this year?

You don't see the resident Cubs and Yankees discussing their teams here. They use the MLB forum.

439953[/snapback]

Every thread? Come on...

Talk about bitterness...