Mike hampton and $$$$$$??

Marlins04

when do we stop paying so much for him in 2003 we paid 9mill of salary, in 04 we r paying 10.5mill and in 05 i think 11.5mill. man if we didnt have to we could have gotten vlad or re-signed pudge. now i know nobody wants to hear it but we could have used vlad and pudge and been 8 games over in front of the east. kinda like the yanks and soxs. man we r paying 10.5 mill for a relief pitcher that is on the dl. y we trade hampton for spoony. and y couldnt the braves pay off more money of hampton????????WHYYYYYY

sorry to bring it up but just take a sec and picture this.

1 pierre

2 castillo

3 vlad

4 lowell

5 Cabs

6 choi

7 Willingham

8gonzo com'on people just imagine, its only a dream that once was possible but i thought bout it since we r struggling plus we would have 40,000 every night like the phils and angels do cause thome and vlad, people want to see power hitters

people just imagine, its only a dream that once was possible but i thought bout it since we r struggling plus we would have 40,000 every night like the phils and angels do cause thome and vlad, people want to see power hitters

443748[/snapback]

We wouldn't have 40,000 every night even if they signed Vlad. I don't believe that for a second.

Yeah, we'd have higher attendance with Vlad, but remember he isn't that marketable.

Is he arguably the best all around player in baseball? Certainly, but how many people think of Vlad when you say "best?" I know many casual fans that have no freakin' clue who he is.

For a team like us that money ($15 mil a year) has to be more wisely invested in a "name that can play" not a guy who's amazing but no one knows, doesn't speak a lick of English and really is an enigma.

Hell, the argument is moot because if we didn't assume the Hampton money, Wilson and CJ would still be here handcuffing our financial flexibility even more greatly next year AND probably forcing us to get rid of one of our current contracts.

sorry to bring it up but just take a sec and picture this.

1 pierre

2 castillo

3 vlad

4 lowell

5 Cabs

6 choi

7 Willingham

8gonzo com'on people just imagine, its only a dream that once was possible but i thought bout it since we r struggling plus we would have 40,000 every night like the phils and angels do cause thome and vlad, people want to see power hitters

443748[/snapback]

Come on! Don't be silly. 40,000 a night? No way! The marlins could be playing in my back yard and I still wouldn't be able to make it to more than 50 games a year. Most of Miami is in the same position, as is the country. There is a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar, and plenty of options that are less expensive and time consuming. 40,000 a night average is just not realistic... If the Yankees played 81 games in PPS, we would still only average about 28,000 a night.

When you include the money Colorado is ponying up every year to the Marlins, the net effect of the Hampton/Pierre/CJ/Wilson (and a bunch of other slightly warm bodies) deal was the Marlins coming out ahead by $25.5 million.

443823[/snapback]

Excellent point - conveniently overlooked by local and national media.

:thumbup