Sellers of buyers?

jonnylons

I think this team is about as middle of the road as a team can get. We have the foundation to win the division, but we also lack just enough to win in the playoffs.

The problem is, this team has to remain competitive in order to help with the stadium issue. If Loria & Co. look like they are jumping ship, then people will be less inclined to help them out.

That aside, I dont think this team, as it is playing right now, is good enough to win the division let alone win in the playoffs. We dont have an offense. We dont advance runners and we rely too heavily on the top of the lineup (which only supports the argument for 'lengthening' the lineup by spreading out those hitters). I dont see a trade helping us out much unless it is a significant upgrade. And to do that would require us to overhaul our current roster.

You could make the argument of trading off either Penny or Pavano - as both look to cash in this offseason. There are not a whole lot of quality arms out there for a contender to pick up. So that only increases their value. Penny has the most value because of his youth and his contract status.

So should we become buyers or sellers? I think we could be both at the same time. I am starting to think that we could trade Penny for a great young bat and we could actually improve. We lose one of our starters, and with Beckett down and Burnett still coming back, we are really depending on Pavano and Willis to shoulder the load. But could the difference that we lose with pitching could be made up with hitting?

The other problem to consider is who we are replacing in the lineup. Pushing Conine to the bench is a good idea - if you can find someone to play LF that is a clear upgrade.

You could even get a catcher, but who would you be able to get that would cost us a) less than Fudge would have and b) be able to produce on offense? That counts out Kendall and Lopez, if the latter is even available.

Right now, there doesnt look to be a whole lot of options available to us. You cant deal Penny or Pavs and become sellers outright - the fans wouldnt support that and they shouldnt considering we are only 3 games out. And the possible targets we are trying to acquire dont look to improve this ballclub all that much.

So, I am curious, what do you all think? I am of two minds of this...

while i sympathize with the people who think that we need to be sellers, we need to take a shot this year. if Beckett comes back strong, this rotation is going to be better than anyone's over the last 2 months, and will be better than we may ever have again. and while our bullpen sucks other than Benitez, we do have Benitez this year, and if we can get to the playoffs and put one of our starters in the bullpen to get us to Mando, we can realistically do some damage.

more to the point - this may be the end of our window. who knows what's going to happen to Penny and Pavano and Benitez. we're not going to magically come into more money next year, so we're going to have to make more tough choices. some season in the near future, we won't have a choice but to be sellers (i.e., we'll be 8-10+ games out), and we will still have value to trade at that point even if Pavano leaves. we need to take a shot this year.

Jonny, I'm glad to see you're warming to the idea of trading Penny.

I believe to the right team he can deliver a big bat AND a 3/4/5 starter and have for some time. I have noting against Brad, rather I look at it as a roster management move that will allow us flexibility in the off-season without damaging the core of players we need to contend this season and for next few seasons.

I'm not sure why you think Lopez would be more expensive than Pudge unless I'm misreading your post and you don't consider him a big bat. He's produced for the O's and $3 million a year cheaper than Ivan.

Jonny, I'm glad to see you're warming to the idea of trading Penny.

I believe to the right team he can deliver a big bat AND a 3/4/5 starter and have for some time. I have noting against Brad, rather I look at it as a roster management move that will allow us flexibility in the off-season without damaging the core of players we need to contend this season and for next few seasons.

I'm not sure why you think Lopez would be more expensive than Pudge unless I'm misreading your post and you don't consider him a big bat. He's produced for the O's and $3 million a year cheaper than Ivan.

474876[/snapback]

I guess Lopez is cheaper than Fudge, but we were expecting to sign Fudge around $8M per. Doesnt Lopez's contract run beyond next year and doesnt it increase? I also dont think Lopez would want to play catcher everyday like Fudge can - for now.

I was, actually, for trading Penny last year. (I wanted us, if we had to, deal Penny for Blalock and Lowell for Zambrano/Cruz). But right now, if we are to contend, we need quality starts. Today was a good example.

But I do agree that we certainly could get a deal done with Penny that could help this team out for the long term and possibly even the short term. I like the idea of getting Texiera from the Rangers, but I also want us to land another pitcher or hitter (Rangers have some solid prospects, perhaps a catcher or even their prized SS). You make a good argument based on finances - we probably wont be able to keep Penny and Pavs both as each are estimated at $8M per.

Plus we have a lot of young pitching coming up that should be ready within the next year or so to step in.

I am starting to come around on the idea of dealing Penny for some young studs to help us out. But we need a C, a LF (only if a clear upgrade over Conine) and I think we should be fine - but Beckett needs to come back and pitch like he is capable.

Looks like we'll be sellers. Who is in need of a closer or starter? What kind of prospects can we get for benitez or pavano that will be ready to play next year?

475143[/snapback]

I think we still have a shot at contending and I dont think we should trade Mando as long as we have that chance. We are not sellers yet. But we do need to make a significant move - and perhaps posing as sellers in order to get that done may be the way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.