Walker deal not done???

Guest FishFanInPA

Guest FishFanInPA

The Marlins, surprisingly aggressive, not only hauled in Mota, LoDuca, Juan Encarnacion, reliever Rudy Seanez (from Kansas City) and starter Ismael Valdez (from San Diego), but they might not be finished. Colorado outfielder Admin Walker, owed $17 million this year and next, is almost certain to clear waivers in August. And when he does, the Marlins are expected to continue talks with Colorado. Florida tried hard to get Walker before the deadline, and the Marlins were confident that they could get him to waive his no-trade clause (he owns a home in West Palm Beach, Fla.). They'll likely keep trying.

"I think they'll be better," said pitcher Brad Penny, who was traded to Los Angeles. "We needed a couple of bats over there. They had to trade someone, and I figured it was either me or (Carl) Pavano."

Also, it praises the fish for gettin Valdez saying that he is the second most effective fifth starter in baseball getting nine wins out of the dreaded last spot.

cool cool

some reason I think Enc is gonna play well for us anyway

489966[/snapback]

Walker is a Fantasy Team player if you don't have to worry about next year.

IMO the two key players ("key" because we could be surprised by their productivity) are Encarnacion and Koch.

If those two guys produce, we are in the Play-Offs.

And I'm glad to have Encarnacion back. He's ready. And due!

I doubt anyone would block him.

Hell, Brian Giles made it through waivers last year.

490303[/snapback]

anyone who wanted him for his full price (which is what "blocking" would entail) could have gotten him before the trading deadline. colorado's desperate to get rid of his contract....the fact that they were willing to pay us $10 million indicates that no one was even close to offering to pay it all. the Phillies won't block him "just because", since the Rockies will just say "OK, take him" and then the Phils will be on the hook for that whole contract.

when a team "blocks" what does this mean?

i really never cared about waivers

490421[/snapback]

when a player is put on waivers, he's offered to every team in the league for nothing. any team who wants him can take him, as long as they're willing to pay the remainder of what he's owed. for the Phils to "block" the Marlins, they'd have to pay Walker $19 million over the next two years. they ain't doing that.

once he clears waivers that once, he can then be traded anywhere again.

490303[/snapback]

anyone who wanted him for his full price (which is what "blocking" would entail) could have gotten him before the trading deadline. colorado's desperate to get rid of his contract....the fact that they were willing to pay us $10 million indicates that no one was even close to offering to pay it all. the Phillies won't block him "just because", since the Rockies will just say "OK, take him" and then the Phils will be on the hook for that whole contract.

490430[/snapback]

good point

but if we are going to get him it better happen soon

we only have a little over 50 games left (i think)

when a team "blocks" what does this mean?

i really never cared about waivers

490421[/snapback]

when a player is put on waivers, he's offered to every team in the league for nothing. any team who wants him can take him, as long as they're willing to pay the remainder of what he's owed. for the Phils to "block" the Marlins, they'd have to pay Walker $19 million over the next two years. they ain't doing that.

once he clears waivers that once, he can then be traded anywhere again.

490435[/snapback]

thats what i thought

but how long does it take to clear waivers? is there some period of time?

Guest Juanky

I doubt anyone would block him.?

490303[/snapback]

Actually, he did yet no he didn't. San Diego had #1 Waiver Priority, so no one could claim Giles before the Padres. So no one bothered trying.

490303[/snapback]

Actually, he did yet no he didn't. San Diego had #1 Waiver Priority, so no one could claim Giles before the Padres. So no one bothered trying.

490441[/snapback]

who has that priority this year?

490303[/snapback]

490430[/snapback]

Your right, BUT one of the teams with the money and interest is....the Red Sox. The Sox along with the Braves and Marlins were the teams interested in Walker. The Sox have the money clearing Nomar salary and want Walker. Will it happen? I don't know. :confused

490303[/snapback]

490430[/snapback]

Your right, BUT one of the teams with the money and interest is....the Red Sox. The Sox along with the Braves and Marlins were the teams interested in Walker. The Sox have the money clearing Nomar salary and want Walker. Will it happen? I don't know. :confused

490450[/snapback]

the sox have some money, but they need cash next year too for Pedro, Lowe, Cabrera (or whoever they sign to play SS), and all their other free agents. they're not looking to tie $12.5 million up in Walker for 2005, not with his risk. these days, that kind of money gets you Magglio Ordonez + someone else. keep in mind that this is the same team that let a few million dollars stop the ARod deal. Walker only makes sense if you're not paying full price.

that is, unless you're the Yankees........ :blink:

Guest Juanky

490303[/snapback]

490441[/snapback]

who has that priority this year?

490447[/snapback]

Worst team in the AL.....so that's the Royals

And don't we have a better record than Boston? We can put in a claim first, they aren't to be worried about (if I'm correct in my thinking).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.