LaDainian Tomlinson signs new eight-year contract

maskedavenger88

http://www.chargers.com/news/pr_headline_d...ase_key=309#Top

Saturday, August 14, 2004

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

San Diego Chargers All-Pro running back LaDainian Tomlinson has signed a new eight-year contract with the team that will make him the highest paid running back in National Football League history. Tomlinson?s new deal will run through the 2011 season.

?This is a momentous occasion for the Chargers and all Charger fans,? said team President Dean Spanos. ?LaDainian represents everything you want from a player. He is our role model. Every young player should aspire to be like L.T.; the way he carries himself on and off the field. He has demonstrated he CAN do and WILL do what it takes to be a winner and to be the best. And he is, undoubtedly, the best running back in the National Football League.?

Tomlinson is on the verge of becoming the team?s all-time leading rusher and holds many of the team?s rushing records. Last season, Tomlinson became the first player in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards and catch 100 passes in the same season. It was particularly important to Tomlinson that Spanos took an active role in the negotiations.

?It means a lot,? said L.T. ?To me, it meant that he cared about it and that he wanted to get (the contract) done. It was nice to have him involved.?

Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith echoed Spanos? thoughts on the new contract.

?The entire organization is thrilled for L.T. and his new contract,? beamed Smith. ?It?s a great contract for a great player and a great young man.?

Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer has said on more than one occasion that he considers Tomlinson the best running back that he?s ever seen play in the National Football League. Schottenheimer believes that this sends an important message to the other players in the locker room.

?LaDainian is certainly one of the best I?ve ever been around, both as a player and how he carries himself off the field,? said Schottenheimer. ?I?ve been around a lot of great players, but certainly he?s in a class of his own. From a team chemistry standpoint, it?s extremely important to everyone involved with this organization to know that L.T. is going to be here for many more years. My hat goes out to Dean (Spanos) and everyone who worked hard to get this contract done.?

Tomlinson, who is building a 10,000 square foot home in Poway with his wife, LaTorsha, is pleased that this contract will allow him to remain in San Diego for the next eight seasons. He has never wavered in his desire to play for the Chargers.

?Absolutely, (the Chargers) have obviously committed themselves to winning and it?s just a way that they have proven they?re committed to winning,? added Tomlinson. ?I think we can move forward from here.?

During his brief career, Tomlinson has garnered numerous honors. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2002, he was named second-team All-Pro by the Associated Press in 2002 and 2003 and he was the runner-up in AP?s Rookie of the Year voting in 2001.

Tomlison is the Charges best Halfback and Wide Reciever :plain

With that being said, if Phillip Rivers doesnt sign soon.. Tomlison will probably be the best QB on the team ;)

511956[/snapback]

lol...when i read that i though of that simpsons episode when Bart joins the football team and Homer is the coach. Nelson is the best player on the team and every1 else is garbage so to win the game he throws the ball up in the air and goes to catch it himself and carries like 5 people on his back 2 the endzone :lol :lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.