Major troop realignments

FishFanPR

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/16/...home/index.html

I completely support this initiative! Although I fear that this could affect our response time to any global emergency/deployment, I feel like this will improve our relations with some of the countries that never wanted an American military presence on their soil in the first place.

This will probably reduce the military budget, I assume...

i doubt the military budget is reduced by this any.

514301[/snapback]

Its reduced by whatever we pay the Germans for use of the bases, travel expenses back and forth, and the costs of transporting spares to Germany from CONUS.

The constant stream of transports to and from Germany doesn't exactly run on tap water.

514397[/snapback]

Exactly!!! Still, we must keep in mind that what Bush promised is a RE-ALIGNMENT of troops...some of them will be sent back to America, while others will be re-stationed elsewhere, so we really won't have an idea of the impact of these measures on the overall military budget until several years go by.

Guest Juanky

let's wait and see where exactly they're being taken from...

in some cases it's probably long overdue.

not sure taking troops from S. Korea's such a great idea right now though.

514292[/snapback]

Reunification will happen eventually regardles. I agree, it might not be the best of moves from our P.O.V. but maybe this is what sets off a peaceful joining?

Or the North eating up the South ala Vietnam. One of the two.

i doubt the military budget is reduced by this any.

514301[/snapback]

Its reduced by whatever we pay the Germans for use of the bases, travel expenses back and forth, and the costs of transporting spares to Germany from CONUS.

The constant stream of transports to and from Germany doesn't exactly run on tap water.

514397[/snapback]

ya if we were bringing the troops all home.

we arent.

i'm willing to bet Bush wants to put 90% of these troops in other overseas locations.

costs saved = negligible if any.

I swear this has NOTHING to do with Bush trying to get re-elected :rolleyes:

514619[/snapback]

the incumbent's advantage, my dear friend... :p

514622[/snapback]

Indeed it is. I agree totally with this decision, im just merely pointing out that I think even if its not intentional, this will definitely effect the election.

514619[/snapback]

514622[/snapback]

Indeed it is. I agree totally with this decision, im just merely pointing out that I think even if its not intentional, this will definitely effect the election.

514632[/snapback]

agreed

Guest Juanky

514619[/snapback]

514622[/snapback]

514632[/snapback]

If your gonna do a cool thing might as well have it do as much good for you as possible.

Cuz no one does things just because they are good anymore.

How is it flipflopping fishfanpr? When did he ever say he supported Bush's proposal or its results?

516979[/snapback]

It's not technically flip flopping...what I mean is that the Democrats always advocate for cuts in the overall defense budget, bring our troops back, etc....liberals in the states usually sympathize with international groups who want US troops out of their territory...so, technically, Bush's move could be considered a "liberal" move, and yet John Kerry opposes it! It seems that he opposes anything done by Bush and the Republican administration.

I'm not trying to turn this into another conservative/liberal bash fest...just in case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.