Kerry shuns Charlotte County media

CapeFish

I just can't believe how you guys can defend Kerry's actions. Even though it was just words, it would have made people feel better. As soon as the President spoke last week, people were energized here like they had a mission to come back better than ever. I don't like Kerry, but him coming, saying some words, and promising that he would back increased funding for storm preparedness and FEMA's mobile home program would have made me think better of Kerry.

You're not getting it - its about projecting an image and a perception. Once you throw your hat in the ring for the top spot, you'd better start acting like you can handle the job and care about what goes on nationwide.

In this regard, he screwed the pooch big time.

And Clinton in 1992?

520496[/snapback]

I have no idea what you're refering to here. Clarify.

I'm unaware of any national disasters in 1992 that Clinton stiff-armed. If there were, I'm sure he showed a lot of empathy and sincerity - which may have been fake or real, it was always very hard to tell with him. Bill was a master at projecting empathy even if none really existed.

520609[/snapback]

Hurricane Andrew. Clinton didnt even come. Seems to me, judging by how outraged people can be based on what cape said, that people should have been even more outraged then. He gave the same reason Kerry did.

I'm no fan whatsoever of Kerry, but this is simply just being a little nitpicky about something he does or in this case doesn't. Someone said earlier it is lose lose for him because if he talks I guarentee you that you probably say how he doesn't really care, and is just using it as positive press. From my understanding he did come there right? What is the big deal if he did not speak. And what does it really matter if he says, 'Everything will be ok, this was a disaster, but we will make it through it'. Does that make anything better? Does that make you feel better about the situation? He did the right thing. I do not understand how this could ever affect anyone's vote. He is a senator from another state, although running for president there really is not anything he can do about it except say the obvious and make it seem forced rather than genuine.

I just can't believe how you guys can defend Kerry's actions. Even though it was just words, it would have made people feel better. As soon as the President spoke last week, people were energized here like they had a mission to come back better than ever. I don't like Kerry, but him coming, saying some words, and promising that he would back increased funding for storm preparedness and FEMA's mobile home program would have made me think better of Kerry.

520613[/snapback]

You were given examples of people being excited with Kerry, but just dismiss with the common "biased media" argument that is oh so convenient. Yet we are supposed to sit here and buy everything you say and how bad it is going to be for Kerry despite how VERY conservative you are and the self admited dislike for John Kerry. Might as well tell me what Rush Limbaugh has to say about Kerry's visit.

Let me put the 1992 situation for all of you:

Andrew had just passed and President Bush Sr. had come down and been so shocked he came across as cold. The media jumped on it and people got really discontent with Bush Sr. He lost Florida in the election. Dade County is a Republican County, but he lost it. Clinton was a governor.

Charley had passed and one of the most important US Senators and Presidential candidate avoids coming to the most damaged area (a Bush county in 2000, but a possible swing county in 2004). He finally gives in to Senator Nelson's requests to come down and see it for himself and then shuns all the local media only providing them with a press release and some approved video and pictures to write reports with. He also shuns the area's only newsradio which is the only place for info most have because it is owned by Clear Channel.

520613[/snapback]

You were given examples of people being excited with Kerry, but just dismiss with the common "biased media" argument that is oh so convenient. Yet we are supposed to sit here and buy everything you say and how bad it is going to be for Kerry despite how VERY conservative you are and the self admited dislike for John Kerry. Might as well tell me what Rush Limbaugh has to say about Kerry's visit.

520617[/snapback]

You continue to attack me. Kerry wronged the people here. For whatever reason he refused to give his word that he would back the additional help we need badly. You don't have mothers with children calling in and saying he is a douchebag unless he did something wrong. You don't have business owners calling in saying he was cold and a phantom.

I'm no fan whatsoever of Kerry, but this is simply just being a little nitpicky about something he does or in this case doesn't. Someone said earlier it is lose lose for him because if he talks I guarentee you that you probably say how he doesn't really care, and is just using it as positive press. From my understanding he did come there right? What is the big deal if he did not speak. And what does it really matter if he says, 'Everything will be ok, this was a disaster, but we will make it through it'. Does that make anything better? Does that make you feel better about the situation? He did the right thing. I do not understand how this could ever affect anyone's vote. He is a senator from another state, although running for president there really is not anything he can do about it except say the obvious and make it seem forced rather than genuine.

520616[/snapback]

Actually, he can do alot. He can promise to vote for Senator Nelson's bid to get more support and aid for the affected areas. Nelson is looking for 51 votes to increase the aid to include mobile homes and other housing for those currently living in tents or under trees.

520613[/snapback]

So, if Kerry spoke everyone would be 'Alright my house is gone, but John Kerry is says everything is ok, so it is!!!'

I do not understand how a president or presidential candidate can say anything to make it better. It's like if someone's mom dies and you are their best friend. Nothing you say can really make it better.