Kerry shuns Charlotte County media

CapeFish

Just passing it along. He was asked to come on the only newsradio still on the air in Charlotte County, but refused. Campaign said he was afraid of interview being politicized by WCCF's staff, which is a Clear Channel owned station. Radio news employees were disappointed this afternoon by Kerry's actions to ignore them and not address the people and take their questions. Governor and President Bush both talked to the local media, but Kerry didn't.

"We were looking for a message of hope" - Bob Alexander (WCCF-AM)

BTW, good news is the Charlotte Sun hopes to start morning delivery soon. Right now they only have afternoon delivery.

Well, the thing is he just made the only local media those that were hit hardest can tune into very mad. It made many listeners quite mad as they waited to call him in and ask him about what can be done in the Senate to help bring relief. Bill Nelson was on, so it's not like they will kill a Democrat. In fact, the radio people are more left-leaning than right-leaning at WCCF.

Kerry...........

doesnt represent the Florida people in anyway right now.....

Fact.

Would it of been helpful? probably.

Could it of been turned on its head? probably.

What would I of done if I'm Kerry? I honestly dont know, it has the potential to open up a can of worms you dont want opened.

Das, he opened the can of worms in a county he could have won. Charlotte was a battleground county simply because of the large minority and union population there. This likely will energize people to come out and vote against him. He was getting a beating from callers on WCCF earlier.

Kerry's cred in a significant swing state will suffer for this.

He should have appeared. All that hokum about how it would be a huge impact on local NE and guard to tour his "entourage" was B.S.

John - if you want to see what's gone on, you don't need an "entourage" to do it - unless all you're interested in is getting some sound bites and vid for the campaign. Walking/driving around with a couple of guard dudes and your SS detail would be enough to see what there is to see.

519715[/snapback]

BTW, he was in the same building as the radio stations. WCCF and it's sister stations are broadcasting from the Charlotte County Emergency Operations Center and serve as the official voice of the Charlotte EOC.

Das, he opened the can of worms in a county he could have won. Charlotte was a battleground county simply because of the large minority and union population there. This likely will energize people to come out and vote against him. He was getting a beating from callers on WCCF earlier.

519813[/snapback]

and he would of opened a can of worms had he shown up.

lose/lose situation.

remember florida is not represented in any ways by John Kerry right now.

If people wanted to know what he could do on the Senate floor....ask your senator. You have 2 of them.

I mean hell if San Antonio was decimated by something....I wouldnt be calling on John Kerry for answers....

I'd be calling on my reps.

519813[/snapback]

and he would of opened a can of worms had he shown up.

lose/lose situation.

remember florida is not represented in any ways by John Kerry right now.

If people wanted to know what he could do on the Senate floor....ask your senator. You have 2 of them.

I mean hell if San Antonio was decimated by something....I wouldnt be calling on John Kerry for answers....

I'd be calling on my reps.

519821[/snapback]

He just showed no compassion. He came here simply because he had to, Senator Nelson had to invite him repeatedly, and then once here he was like a phantom.

Oh brother cape. If Kerry came without the Nelson invite, youd be all over him for politicizing this or being fake. His campaign knew beforehand that he shouldnt ignore it but they took the highroad. With the Nelson invite, he is coming and he will do what he can. Get over it.

519907[/snapback]

I am over it, but a bunch of disgruntled voters here in Southwest Florida aren't.

You don't use a natural disaster for political gain, and that is the way I would have viewed his using that time for an interview. The people that are in power right now, the ones that can initiate relief programs, should be the ones speaking to the media.

Whether he brings 2 people with him or 60, let him talk to the affected residents without it having to turn into a political event.

Clinton made a point of not coming down to the Miami area right around the time Bush was here to survey damage after Andrew. He made a point of not trying to make it look like he was coming down for political gains. I respected that.

And before someone gets on my case because they think I am simply supporting Kerry, I'm not. I also an not a Bush supporter. I have NPA. I am just too tired of having to spend election after election voting against someone, rather than for someone. It has been a very long time since the last time I felt as though a canidate was the right person, rather than the lesser of 2 (or more) evils.

You don't use a natural disaster for political gain, and that is the way I would have viewed his using that time for an interview. The people that are in power right now, the ones that can initiate relief programs, should be the ones speaking to the media.

Whether he brings 2 people with him or 60, let him talk to the affected residents without it having to turn into a political event.

Clinton made a point of not coming down to the Miami area right around the time Bush was here to survey damage after Andrew. He made a point of not trying to make it look like he was coming down for political gains. I respected that.

And before someone gets on my case because they think I am simply supporting Kerry, I'm not. I also an not a Bush supporter. I have NPA. I am just too tired of having to spend election after election voting against someone, rather than for someone. It has been a very long time since the last time I felt as though a canidate was the right person, rather than the lesser of 2 (or more) evils.

520094[/snapback]

and that my friends is how it should be.

its not like there is no precedence for Kerry not coming to Southwest Florida.

you right wingers dont get it do you?

There are already elected officials in Florida to handle these things. Talk to them.

damn

Big difference between Clinton and Kerry is that Clinton was a governor, while Kerry is an influential US Senator. The people in Charlotte and DeSoto Counties need all the help they can get. That is why they were so pissed at John Kerry. He treated it as no biggie and used it as a photo op. When it came to answering questions like Gov. Bush, Pres. Bush, or one of the Cabinet members did...Kerry was nowhere to be found. He avoided the press side of the Charlotte EOC building just so he wouldn't have to sit down and talk with the WCCF.

what part of Kerry is not a Florida senator is so hard for you to understand?

Florida has two senators.

I'm sure the same area has House representation as well.

I fail to see the huge outcry.

520135[/snapback]

Two senators cannot do anything. It takes half (50) + one to get anything passed. That is why Nelson and Graham continue to try and campaign for other Congressmen to visit. Porter Goss and Foley are working in the house, but the Senate is the important chamber because they can delegate more money for more things like mobile homes in Charlotte instead of relocating people to other counties. A small thing like not changing a county's tax base or making people move or be bused to schools is huge.

what part of Kerry is not a Florida senator is so hard for you to understand?

Florida has two senators.

I'm sure the same area has House representation as well.

I fail to see the huge outcry.

520135[/snapback]

Two senators cannot do anything. It takes half (50) + one to get anything passed. That is why Nelson and Graham continue to try and campaign for other Congressmen to visit. Porter Goss and Foley are working in the house, but the Senate is the important chamber because they can delegate more money for more things like mobile homes in Charlotte instead of relocating people to other counties. A small thing like not changing a county's tax base or making people move or be bused to schools is huge.

520141[/snapback]

so Kerry has to visit the area to do anything now?

the Florida senators should be spearheading any efforts.

is frist supposed to come down to florida also?

The press coverage other than select TV cameras, none of which local here, was zilch. All I saw were clips put out by the Kerry Campaign which obviously don't show anybody but Kerry and a victim at a time. According to the radio reports he did carry a pretty big entourage.

so that means Kerry is expected to show up everyplace going through anything severe?

there was a major fire in south Texas the other day, let's call Kerry.

before you say I'm being a prick and the scale is far different....

the people effected were effected just as much as those that went through Charley.

what do you want? him to publically come out and say I support your cause? do you seriously think he doesnt? is that sentence that damn important that he has to make a public appearance to say it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.