2004 International League MVP

Hugg

Jhonny Peralta Named I.L. Most Valuable Player

Marty Brown is Manager of Year, Ernie Young an All-Star

Shortstop Jhonny Peralta, designated hitter Ernie Young and manager Marty Brown were all honored today as the International League announced their end-of-the-year awards. Peralta was named the league?s Most Valuable Player and the All-Star shortstop. Ernie Young is the All-Star designated hitter, while Marty Brown wins the Manager of the Year award.

Peralta, the Bisons first league MVP since Ted Savage in 1961, has had a record-breaking season with the Bisons in 2004. He has already set Modern Day single-season highs in hits (178), runs (108) and doubles (44). At only 22-years of age, he has hit .300 or better in every month this season, and his current average of .333 is good for second in the I.L. Peralta is also sixth in league in RBI (85), fourth in extra base hits (61) and fifth in on-base percentage (.390). He has had four separate +10-game hitting streaks, while his average hasn?t dip below .320 since April 20 (122 games).

In his second season with the Herd, Brown has led the team to an International League best record of 80-58. That?s despite the fact that the Herd was just one loss away from have the league?s worst record on May 22. Trailing the Scranton/W-B Red Barons by 9.5 games as late as June 13, he guided the Bisons to an amazing comeback to win the International League North Division title. And, he?s done all that while juggling an ever-changing roster that has seen more than 60 total players and 40 pitchers play for the team. Brown joins Eric Wedge (2001) and Joel Skinner (200) as recent winners of the Manager of the Year award.

Young has put together an outstanding season in the heart of the Bisons? batting order. He?s averaged .298 with 25 home runs (T-6th in the league) and 95 RBI (tied with Earl Snyder for I.L. lead). Also, the veteran has set a career-high with 26 doubles and is tenth in the league with a .549 slugging percentage. This is Young?s fourth post season All-Star nomination: California (1993) Southern (1994), and Pacific Coast (2000) League?s post-season squads.

Source: Bisons.com

This is the part where Hugg says:

I told you so.