Comparing Santana to the Big Unit

Iowa

Santana: 34 GS, 20-6, 228.0 IP, 2.61 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, .192 BAA, 265 K, 1 CG, 1 SO

Johnson: 34 GS, 15-14, 237.2 IP, 2.65 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, .194 BAA, 282 K, 4 CG, 2 SO

Talk about identical numbers! Not really trying to prove anything. I never thought I'd see a lefty dominate like the Big Unit but Santana is damn close.

Both should be Cy Young winners and it shouldn't even be a contest.

Santana: 34 GS, 20-6, 228.0 IP, 2.61 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, .192 BAA, 265 K, 1 CG, 1 SO

Johnson: 34 GS, 15-14, 237.2 IP, 2.65 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, .194 BAA, 282 K, 4 CG, 2 SO

Talk about identical numbers! Not really trying to prove anything. I never thought I'd see a lefty dominate like the Big Unit but Santana is damn close.

Both should be Cy Young winners and it shouldn't even be a contest.

577649[/snapback]

While I think Johnson has been the best pitcher in the NL this season, his numbers are aided slightly by getting to play in the NL and facing pitchers. The small difference would likely tip all of the numbers (aside from CG) in favor of Santana. Santana has been the best pitcher in baseball. No question.

While I think Santana has been the best pitcher this year (well for the last 4 months), I think that is a weak argument. The fact that Randy Johnson has to play the Giants, Padres and Dodgers all year long (along with playing at Coors) while Santana plays Detroit, Cleveland, KC and the White Sox all year long, about evens out that whole argument.. though I would much rather be in Santana's shoes. Adding your best bench player isn't going to do much against a pitcher of the Big Unit's caliber.

While I think Santana has been the best pitcher this year (well for the last 4 months), I think that is a weak argument. The fact that Randy Johnson has to play the Giants, Padres and Dodgers all year long (along with playing at Coors) while Santana plays Detroit, Cleveland, KC and the White Sox all year long, about evens out that whole argument.. though I would much rather be in Santana's shoes. Adding your best bench player isn't going to do much against a pitcher of the Big Unit's caliber.

577679[/snapback]

The average NL pitcher bats .145 with an OPS of .247

The AL replacement for pitchers the DH bats .265 with an OPS of .792

The average pitcher is going to strike out almost 1 in every three plate appearances. The average DH will strike out half as often. That explains the K total right there.

I'd call that a significant difference. Plus I think you under value the hitters in the AL central minus KC (they do suck) Detroit, Chicago, and Cleveland have a ton of bats.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.