Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Comparing Santana to the Big Unit

Featured Replies

Santana: 34 GS, 20-6, 228.0 IP, 2.61 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, .192 BAA, 265 K, 1 CG, 1 SO

Johnson: 34 GS, 15-14, 237.2 IP, 2.65 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, .194 BAA, 282 K, 4 CG, 2 SO

 

 

Talk about identical numbers! Not really trying to prove anything. I never thought I'd see a lefty dominate like the Big Unit but Santana is damn close.

 

 

Both should be Cy Young winners and it shouldn't even be a contest.

Santana: 34 GS, 20-6, 228.0 IP, 2.61 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, .192 BAA, 265 K, 1 CG, 1 SO

Johnson: 34 GS, 15-14, 237.2 IP, 2.65 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, .194 BAA, 282 K, 4 CG, 2 SO

 

 

Talk about identical numbers! Not really trying to prove anything. I never thought I'd see a lefty dominate like the Big Unit but Santana is damn close.

 

 

Both should be Cy Young winners and it shouldn't even be a contest.

577649[/snapback]

While I think Johnson has been the best pitcher in the NL this season, his numbers are aided slightly by getting to play in the NL and facing pitchers. The small difference would likely tip all of the numbers (aside from CG) in favor of Santana. Santana has been the best pitcher in baseball. No question.

  • Author

While I think Santana has been the best pitcher this year (well for the last 4 months), I think that is a weak argument. The fact that Randy Johnson has to play the Giants, Padres and Dodgers all year long (along with playing at Coors) while Santana plays Detroit, Cleveland, KC and the White Sox all year long, about evens out that whole argument.. though I would much rather be in Santana's shoes. Adding your best bench player isn't going to do much against a pitcher of the Big Unit's caliber.

While I think Santana has been the best pitcher this year (well for the last 4 months), I think that is a weak argument. The fact that Randy Johnson has to play the Giants, Padres and Dodgers all year long (along with playing at Coors) while Santana plays Detroit, Cleveland, KC and the White Sox all year long, about evens out that whole argument.. though I would much rather be in Santana's shoes. Adding your best bench player isn't going to do much against a pitcher of the Big Unit's caliber.

577679[/snapback]

The average NL pitcher bats .145 with an OPS of .247

The AL replacement for pitchers the DH bats .265 with an OPS of .792

The average pitcher is going to strike out almost 1 in every three plate appearances. The average DH will strike out half as often. That explains the K total right there.

 

I'd call that a significant difference. Plus I think you under value the hitters in the AL central minus KC (they do suck) Detroit, Chicago, and Cleveland have a ton of bats.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.