Offseason Targets

jonnylons

Ok. Let's kick this off right away as this will be talked about all offseason. Who do we keep, who do we let go? Who do we replace and with whom? Who are the targets?

I am just going to throw this out there - the Carl Pavano Situation.

I dont think we need to re-sign him. Call me crazy, but he is going to be commanding big time money. Some estimates right now are at $7-8M per year. As good as Carl has been for us this year and as solid as he has been, I dont think we can afford to re-sign him and dedicate such a large portion of our payroll to a guy who doesnt play everyday. Not right now. I would rather earmark that money for Beckett or Burnett down the road.

Besides, there are cheaper alternatives available that could replace Pavano. For example, Matt Clement, I believe, is a free agent. We could sign him for cheaper than Pavano - and he has nastier stuff. Could be very productive here and would probably love to come back to be with this team (you never know). Currently making $6M.

This is just a start of this debate. Basically, I think we could find someone to replace Pavs for cheaper and then use the 'extra' money to sign someone else at another position of importance. That is kind of what I would like to see talked about in this thread.

Ok.? Let's kick this off right away as this will be talked about all offseason.? Who do we keep, who do we let go?? Who do we replace and with whom?? Who are the targets?

I dont think we need to re-sign him.? Call me crazy, but he is going to be commanding big time money.? Some estimates right now are at $7-8M per year.? As good as Carl has been for us this year and as solid as he has been, I dont think we can afford to re-sign him and dedicate such a large portion of our payroll to a guy who doesnt play everyday.? Not right now.? I would rather earmark that money for Beckett or Burnett down the road.?

Besides, there are cheaper alternatives available that could replace Pavano.? For example, Matt Clement, I believe, is a free agent.? We could sign him for cheaper than Pavano - and he has nastier stuff.? Could be very productive here and would probably love to come back to be with this team (you never know).? Currently making $6M.

This is just a start of this debate.? Basically, I think we could find someone to replace Pavs for cheaper and then use the 'extra' money to sign someone else at another position of importance.? That is kind of what I would like to see talked about in this thread.

580265[/snapback]

Great topic. There are a number of quality starters available this offseason, should Pavano sign elsewhere. Here is a quick list: Jaret Wright, Paul Wilson, Esteban Loaiza, Brad Radke, Odalis Perez, Matt Morris, Kris Benson, and Derek Lowe.

I agree that this offense needs a serious jolt. But that also means you have to keep the guys we currently have and ADD to them. That means increased payroll and I dont see that happening.

In truth, if we lost Lowell - it would be a blow PR wise but we could survive. Miggy would move to 3B. That means you have a void in LF and about $8M to play with. That may actually be better baseball-wise than keeping Lowell.

Lowell staying though is like the canary in a mine shaft. If he leaves, it is like that canary dying. You know something bad is coming down the pipe (or that Mikey acted rashly).

There are a lot of position players that are goign to be available this year. This actually may be the best time to skimp on pitching (bye Pavs) and try and boost our offense to offset it.

Our bullpen could be very good. Mota, Spooneybarger, Koch (?), Weathers, Perisho, Seanez. We dont need to keep Benitez and that only frees up more money to spend elsewhere.

if we lose lowell, Magglio is an option, after his injury plagued season

580272[/snapback]

Yeah, but how can the fish outbid them o's?

580344[/snapback]

Now that MLB has secured the Orioles a minimum base revenue, expect them to never field a competitive team again.

I'd love to sign Paul Wilson and JD Drew. My Nole boys. :D

If Al Leiter's option doesn't kick in (not sure if it has or not), perhaps we can sign him to come back and provide leadership for our younger pitchers. I'd like to possibly trade for Tom Glavine, but I'm sure we couldn't work out the financials with the Mets since he'll be making about 9 mil this year.

Reggie Sanders wouldn't be a bad OF option if we can trade Enc and can't pull in one of Drew or Magglio.

1. Pierre

2. Castillo

3. Drew

4. Cabrera

5. Lo Duca

6. Lowell

7. Conine

8. Gonzo

1. Burnett

2. Beckett

3. Paul Wilson

4. Willis

5. Valdez

Yeah, yeah, it won't happen, but I can dream! :D

Wilson is solid, too. I think he could do very well at JRS. He started off great this year, but fizzled - I am not sure why. Have to do an analysis of that. I am sure playing for the Reds was not a helpful thing.

Drew is going to be getting big money, I am sure. I doubt he will stay in Atlanta, but he just might if he feels comfortable there. I would love to see him in black and teal - just as long as he is healthy.

Our priorities, in my opinion, regarding FA's on our team should be:

Re-sign Lo Duca. Tender deals to both Benitez and Pavs, but let them go and pick up those draft picks.

Also, if Koch is a FA (?) why not tender a deal to him too. We could get him back here for cheap, considering he didnt do anything to justify his previous contracts. He may accept a one year deal like Benitez. Would be good to have him around just in case Mota doesnt work out as a closer (which I think he will). Spoon will be back, finally, and able to pitch.

We really have to establish who is signed through next year and who is leaving and who is up for a raise. From there we can figure out what we should/could do.

Here are the FA's from our team off the top of my dome:

Lowell (pending stadium deal)

Benitez

Pavano

Lo Duca (? does he have an option?)

Arby eligible, that is a whole 'nother story. I am not sure who is in that category this offseason.

580622[/snapback]

P-Lo is arby eligible

Yeah, I just read that. Estimated at $7M per year...I wonder how that is going to play out. I think we have to keep him around - considering the lack of catching help we have in the system already (Willingham is NOT ready defensively). Besides, he estimates to be cheaper than Fudge - so the FO should re-sign him if we follow logic here.

Ok. Let's kick this off right away as this will be talked about all offseason. Who do we keep, who do we let go? Who do we replace and with whom? Who are the targets?

I dont think we need to re-sign him. Call me crazy, but he is going to be commanding big time money. Some estimates right now are at $7-8M per year. As good as Carl has been for us this year and as solid as he has been, I dont think we can afford to re-sign him and dedicate such a large portion of our payroll to a guy who doesnt play everyday. Not right now. I would rather earmark that money for Beckett or Burnett down the road.

Besides, there are cheaper alternatives available that could replace Pavano. For example, Matt Clement, I believe, is a free agent. We could sign him for cheaper than Pavano - and he has nastier stuff. Could be very productive here and would probably love to come back to be with this team (you never know). Currently making $6M.

This is just a start of this debate. Basically, I think we could find someone to replace Pavs for cheaper and then use the 'extra' money to sign someone else at another position of importance. That is kind of what I would like to see talked about in this thread.

580265[/snapback]

Great topic. There are a number of quality starters available this offseason, should Pavano sign elsewhere. Here is a quick list: Jaret Wright, Paul Wilson, Esteban Loaiza, Brad Radke, Odalis Perez, Matt Morris, Kris Benson, and Derek Lowe.

580320[/snapback]

Offer him a three year deal for 21, if he rejects go after the rest staying away from Lowe...

I wouldn't mind signing Morris cheap, would he come cheap? If that meant being able to make a run at top tier hitter...(after the departures of Lo Duca and Encarnacion and Benitez)

'Mando should be priority #1 simply because Mota has shown he can't get good teams out all the time, and Benitez can "go" every day, unlike Pavano every 5th day.

I'd say that Pavano is only good if we don't exceed $7 mil a season.

If he starts driving his price up, offer him arbitration, take the 1st round pick and go after Milton (my personal #1 because he adds lefty balance to our rotation), Morris, Benson and Lowe, in that order.

I think that more than pitching (because any number of guys could come in and put in a flash in the pan season as our #3) we need to find a spot to add a big bat. Magglio, Delgado, Drew...any of those could be solid additions to the 3-hole in our lineup.

Remember, we're not talking about potentially losing our ace, we're losing our #3 starter, and there's a plethora of 3-hole quality starters available.

Assuming Lowell stays, it wouldn't be hard to acquire Ordonez. You don't tender Lo Duca a contract (face it, Magglio > Paul), and you trade Encarnacion for bulls***. That's $10 Million freed right there if you go by the Admin/KJC chart. Lo Duca is replaced by Willingham/Redmond/Treanor, and Maggs obviously takes over for Encarnacion.

I don't want to lose Lo Duca. He adds attitude to our everyday lineup. None of our regulars have the "I'm going to kick your ass" leadership personality. Offer him a 4-year 20 million dollar deal and see if he'll take it. Trade Enc to a Japan team (give him a copy of Mr. Baseball, he may like it :thumbup ), let Mando and Pavano walk and use our left over money to sign one of Drew/Magglio and Paul Wilson.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.