Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Alston pulling a Ricky?

Featured Replies

BOSTON -- Toronto Raptors coach Sam Mitchell benched Loren Woods and Rafer Alston after each was charged with technical fouls against the Boston Celtics on Friday night, and Alston said he might not want to come back at all.

 

Advertisement

 

 

"We were playing well, moving the ball, and we had semi-control of the game. Then two of our players' immaturity showed up," Mitchell said after the 91-89 loss at Boston. "I didn't even want to look at them. It was inexcusable how they conducted themselves."

 

Toronto led by nine points at the start of the third, but Boston had cut it to six when Woods was called for two quick fouls in the final two minutes of the quarter. Alston objected by throwing the ball downcourt, resulting in the first technical.

 

Woods chimed in and received a technical of his own. Paul Pierce made just one of the technical foul shots, but Boston continued to close the gap and took the lead early in the fourth, with Alston and Woods out of the game.

 

"We could have used them both, but I wasn't going to let either one of them back in the game," Mitchell said. "These guys cannot conduct themselves like that in front of 19,000 people and get rewarded by playing. You cannot do your coaches and teammates like that."

 

Woods was repentant, saying, "I let the emotions get the best of me. I lost it, and I lost the game for us."

 

But Alston said he wanted to take some time to think about his career.

 

"It's tough right now for me," he said. "I'm going to talk to Sam and (general manager Rob Babcock). I think it's time. I'm tired of getting into it with my teammates and my coaches. I don't know if I'm a good fit for this team and I don't know if I'm a good fit for this league.

 

"I'm going to take some time off. I might not even play the rest of the season."

 

Mitchell said neither would start Saturday's game against Cleveland, "without a doubt."

 

"I don't know when they will be back in," the coach said. "We are supposed to be professionals. Nobody has the right to do that in a close game. They embarrassed themselves and the Toronto Raptors."

 

:plain

Poor Raptors!

 

Overpayed for Alston in the first place and now are force to honor his contract if he does retire.

I hope Pavano reads this column so he see's that money doesnt always buy happiness...Go ahead Pavs go to Detroit and see how life is when u lose 15 games next year...

Poor Raptors!

 

Overpayed for Alston in the first place and now are force to honor his contract if he does retire.

626838[/snapback]

 

If he retires his contract is voided.

He isnt going to retire, just trying to get Sam Mitchell canned. Should have re-signed with the Heat. Oh well, DJ is filling in for him just fine.

Poor Raptors!

 

Overpayed for Alston in the first place and now are force to honor his contract if he does retire.

626838[/snapback]

 

If he retires his contract is voided.

626857[/snapback]

 

You sure?

 

I thought NBA contract are guaranteed no matter what!

Poor Raptors!

 

Overpayed for Alston in the first place and now are force to honor his contract if he does retire.

626838[/snapback]

 

If he retires his contract is voided.

626857[/snapback]

 

You sure?

 

I thought NBA contract are guaranteed no matter what!

626901[/snapback]

Well, it depends on how the retirement happens.

 

I'd trade for Skip, he'd be perfect down here again!

Poor Raptors!

 

Overpayed for Alston in the first place and now are force to honor his contract if he does retire.

626838[/snapback]

 

If he retires his contract is voided.

626857[/snapback]

 

You sure?

 

I thought NBA contract are guaranteed no matter what!

626901[/snapback]

no, it's a contract.

 

in sports, one guy is contractually obligated to play, and the team is contractually obligated to pay him.

 

if the player decides to quit, he's not fulfilling his obligation and he won't get paid.

 

now, if the contract is guaranteed and he can't play because of injury.... well, then he can still collect his check.

the man had to work his ass off to be an NBA player with a long term deal and to lose the street baller reputation and he's blowing it. this is sad to see and i hope he gets it together.

Him and Vince will be gone before the year is out.

626852[/snapback]

No one is dumb enough to take on his 30 million dollar contract.

Sam Mitchell has no control of that team

626898[/snapback]

 

True but he looks fly walking along the court with those suits and shades.

 

:cool

that was a long retirement

 

he's already played tonight

627163[/snapback]

and was their leading scorer with 20 points.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.