Dontrelle's future

Guest Fritz

I think he needs to work with Al leiter and Mark Wiley to learn a little more about pitching. He also needs to master his change and learn a new pitch(Screwball, cutter, split-finger). When he learns to be a little more consistent in getting hitters out, he will be an astonishing pitcher. So I think he should stick to starting.

I don't understand why people think he would be a good closer. He's erratic, struggles to throw strikes consistently, and is not a swing-and-miss kind of pitcher. That is the exact opposite of what you need in a closer. Even though, I am strong supporter of the idea that any above-average pitcher would be a strong closer, I don't think Willis is above-average.

Secondly, I read a few comments about how Willis is "so very talented." I don't think Willis is particularly talented. He has average stuff at best and struggles with command. He doesn't have an overpowering fastball; he doesn't have a lot of movement on his fastball; he has a below-average to average slider for a lefty without that sweeping motion; and an average changeup.

I still think his future is as a starter because of the dearth of lefty starting pitchers who are even decent in the majors. He will be a good number 5 and average to solid number 4 on championship caliber teams. I could see him becoming a long-reliever only if he takes a significant step back with his command over the next two years.