Dontrelle's future

Guest Fritz

What do you think? I think he could be a dominant closer if given the opportunity. I bet he could put up excellent numbers in the Joe Nathan/John Smoltz kinda mold. Not lots of Ks, but solid closer anyway.

Well its questionable to say which he should play as a starter or a relief pitcher. I don't think of him being a set-up or closer. I say he's more like in the middle of starter and relief, because he plays up and down meaning sometimes he's good and sometimes he's not. He's still a rookie though so you can't tell how he's going to be this season. You can judge a player over one season.

Interesting replies. But, premature. We won't know if he is a Starter or Long Reliever until Spring Training (at least.)

He is so very talented AND he matures each year.

Young players change dramatically each year. Up or down.

D-train is a student of the game and has no ego-problem. He does have pride and dedication.

The "mix" is good going into ST but the bottom-line will be ST performance.

Dontrelle will be critical (and successful) in our post-season push.

See you in Jupiter! This is going to be great.

Interesting replies. But, premature. We won't know if he is a Starter or Long Reliever until Spring Training (at least.)

Young players change dramatically each year. Up or down.

D-train is a student of the game and has no ego-problem. He does have pride and dedication.

See you in Jupiter! This is going to be great.

671571[/snapback]

Barring any strange occurences theres no way dontrelle loses his starting job

Starter at least for the next 2-3 years although I could see him turning into a closer later in his career. We already have 3 starters going to FA/retirement next year, We don't need to worry about finding 4 starters next winter.

I guess it all depends on how much success he has the next few years

Interesting replies.? But, premature.? We won't know if he is a Starter or Long Reliever until Spring Training (at least.)

Young players change dramatically each year.? Up or down.

D-train is a student of the game and has no ego-problem.? He does have pride and dedication.

See you in Jupiter!? This is going to be great.

671571[/snapback]

Im salivating at the things Leiter can teach this kid. I predict a huge season out of Dontrelle once Leiter teaches him the little things that can make him dominant. Leiter is like Maddux and relies on his smarts and I think Dontrelle is the same way but clearly has a lot to learn.

Interesting replies.? But, premature.? We won't know if he is a Starter or Long Reliever until Spring Training (at least.)

Young players change dramatically each year.? Up or down.

D-train is a student of the game and has no ego-problem.? He does have pride and dedication.

See you in Jupiter!?? This is going to be great.

671571[/snapback]

Im salivating at the things Leiter can teach this kid. I predict a huge season out of Dontrelle once Leiter teaches him the little things that can make him dominant. Leiter is like Maddux and relies on his smarts and I think Dontrelle is the same way but clearly has a lot to learn.

671665[/snapback]

I agree. I'm extremely excited to see how much Dontrelle grows this year compared to the previous two. The potential for him to skyrocket is so high...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.