Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

'Canes Take Down FIU, 7-0

Featured Replies

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (www.hurricanesports.com) - The second ranked University of Miami Hurricanes opened the 2005 baseball season Tuesday night, with a 7-0 shutout victory over Florida International University in front of 3,197 fans at Mark Light Field.

 

Hurricane starter Cesar Carrillo recorded the win (1-0) going six innings, giving up only one hit and striking out six batters. Golden Panther starter Ammer Cabrera (0-1) took the loss for FIU, pitching 5.1 innings, giving up four runs (three earned) on five hits, four walks, while striking out four.

 

Miami is undefeated in Carrillo's 20 appearances with the team. He improves to 13-0 as a Hurricane, including a 12-0 record in 2004.

 

The Hurricanes improve to 45-16-0 in home openers. Additionally, the last opening day/night shutout was January 28, 1998 as Miami defeated Barry University 9-0.

 

Danny Figueroa and Jon Jay led the Miami offense going 2-for-3 at the plate. Freshman walk-on outfielder Patrick Feeny delivered a two-run pinch-hit single as part of a five-run outburst in the bottom of the sixth inning that broke open the game for the Hurricanes.

 

The Hurricanes host High Point in a three-game weekend series beginning Friday at 7 p.m. at Mark Light Field.

 

Courtesy Of Hurricanesports.com

Ugh... we were there, FIU could not hit the ball today. Our starter did great for the first 6 innings or so but we could not hit off this guy that UM had throwing. Hope we get em back when they come to FIU in March.

You gotta give it to our guy, Ammer Cabrera. He was a bit wild at first but once he settled down, he did very well. UM had 1 point because of an error. If it wasn't for that error, the score would've been 0-0. I believe it was when Frank came to the mound that the game went to crap. (I think it was when Frank came up. I can't remember right now. I was busy trying to sneak some pics.) But I also gotta give props to Carrillo. Wow! Can the Marlins pick him up? :p

 

Oh yea... and Mike Lowell was at the game. :D

  • Author

Ya, Cesar Carillo is a stud. 13-0 as a starter, and Miami is 22-0 in games hes pitched in...Maybe the Marlins can get him in a few years..

I'm gonna watch more UM games this year.

UM had 1 point because of an error. If it wasn't for that error, the score would've been 0-0. I675090[/snapback]

 

point...its a run :( :)

  • Author

UM had 1 point because of an error. If it wasn't for that error, the score would've been 0-0. I675090[/snapback]

 

point...its a run :( :)

675400[/snapback]

:plain

UM had 1 point because of an error. If it wasn't for that error, the score would've been 0-0. I675090[/snapback]

 

point...its a run :( :)

675400[/snapback]

:plain

675451[/snapback]

Miri, you know more baseball than that. :o

Yea yea.....I just think he deserves some credit as well. He did a good job.

 

Anyways......

 

 

I was laughing at this one chic that sat in front of us (then got thrown out because she sat in the reserved seats MUAHAHAHA) that was being really stupid. The FIU fans were all cheering "F-I-U!" and she's like "M-I-A!" Yet, I noticed that when FIU would get someone out or throw a strike, she would clap. I was like "WTF?" Chic needs to get her teams right. LOL

Damn I wanted Ammer to do a good job. I have talked to him at pitching camps and hes a really cool guy.

 

And i know its a little late but Congrats to Asher for pitching the complete game shutout last saturday :thumbup

 

Also I will have a Jeff Skellenger watch just becaue he is really cool also

 

lol

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.