Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Word From our Friend Carl Pavano

Featured Replies

I keep hearing a quote from some old A's player/coach.... can't remember who, maybe Dave Stewart? Anyway about Canseco he basically said he couldn't stand him, but one thing he isn't is a liar.

 

I'm sure there's quite a bit of truth to it.

685832[/snapback]

 

Yeah I posted that article a couple weeks ago. We just have too many threads on this.

 

 

However, ex-A's pitcher Dave Stewart wouldn't say Canseco's accusations weren't true.

 

``I could never say `Josie' is a liar,'' Stewart said. ``I don't like his work ethic, and I don't like him as a teammate. But one thing I can't say about him is he's a liar.

 

``As far as what Josie's saying, I can't deny it or verify it. I'm not going to pretend it didn't happen because I don't know. We weren't in the same circles, but I'd have to say he definitely knows what's going on in his circle. Nobody I associated with on the team was a steroid user (among the players Stewart mentioned: Lansford, Rickey Henderson, Dave Henderson and Dennis Eckersley).

 

``If this is all made up, he'll suffer some serious damages. But if you're an admitted steroid user, believe me, you'd know who uses them.''

 

A snip from the sentinel.

 

link

  • Author

one other thing, i went to Borders today and read a good portion of the book (wouldnt give him the satisfaction of a purchase) and it is absoluetley hillarious. I got a real kick out of this guy. This guy has led one interesting life and his views on things are so out their, its just a good time taking a look at the world through his eyes.

  • Author

one other thing, i went to Borders today and read a good portion of the book (wouldnt give him the satisfaction of a purchase) and it is absoluetley hillarious. I got a real kick out of this guy. This guy has led one interesting life and his views on things are so out their, its just a good time taking a look at the world through his eyes.

I just can't believe someone can make up lies about people out of the clear blue just to make money. Lies that they know will stick with the person the rest of their lives and forever taint them, just to make a few bucks. Its not like Jose is going to make millions, maybe a half a mill or so. Good money, but its not like a landslide here.

685593[/snapback]

Q: What's the going rate for washed up players with no other skills and no more endorsment potential?

A: "Can I Super Size that for you sir?"

 

If he's pissed away all his money, a half mil would be looking pretty fine right now.

686088[/snapback]

 

 

But I like to think people are generally good. I just wouldn't like to think of a world where a guy needs to make up flat out complete lies that not only reflect on him as a person, but taints the entire lives of so many people. So I have to believe at least a bit of this is true.

I just can't believe someone can make up lies about people out of the clear blue just to make money. Lies that they know will stick with the person the rest of their lives and forever taint them, just to make a few bucks. Its not like Jose is going to make millions, maybe a half a mill or so. Good money, but its not like a landslide here.

685593[/snapback]

Q: What's the going rate for washed up players with no other skills and no more endorsment potential?

A: "Can I Super Size that for you sir?"

 

If he's pissed away all his money, a half mil would be looking pretty fine right now.

686088[/snapback]

 

 

But I like to think people are generally good. I just wouldn't like to think of a world where a guy needs to make up flat out complete lies that not only reflect on him as a person, but taints the entire lives of so many people. So I have to believe at least a bit of this is true.

The man obviously concocted a bogus story in order to generate more interest. I have no doubt that some of the instances he described were true--but the extent and sheer number of users is a bit absurd.

 

I don't have a problem with the guy speaking his mind--hopefully it'll help to shed some light on the reality of the situation...But nobody knows for sure exactly what the truth is at this point...

The man obviously concocted a bogus story in order to generate more interest. I have no doubt that some of the instances he described were true--but the extent and sheer number of users is a bit absurd.

 

I don't have a problem with the guy speaking his mind--hopefully it'll help to shed some light on the reality of the situation...But nobody knows for sure exactly what the truth is at this point...

its a bit of hypocraxy going on in that quote. i was pissed when i heard the news he left, but im like whatever now. if put in that position, who wouldnt leave? after all, the yankees are the "winning, great, awsome team" :banghead

its a bit of hypocraxy going on in that quote. i was pissed when i heard the news he left, but im like whatever now. if put in that position, who wouldnt leave? after all, the yankees are the "winning, great, awsome team" :banghead

"There are certain things that belong with us ballplayers," Yankees pitcher Carl Pavano said. "It's a tight group. It's sad to see someone that desperate come throw themselves out there to make money."

 

Yeh Carl.....Who ever heard of a professional athlete doing something for money?!? HAHAHAHA 40 million cough 40 million

 

This was part of the following article on ESPN.COM about the Canseco book:

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1991571

 

 

PS, before I get baraded by people for using Carl as an example of a greedy athlete, let me say he is at the lesser end of this spectrum.

685573[/snapback]

 

i really dislike carl pavano since the very moment he said the yankees were the team he always dream to play with WHAT A HYPRO :thumbdown

"There are certain things that belong with us ballplayers," Yankees pitcher Carl Pavano said. "It's a tight group. It's sad to see someone that desperate come throw themselves out there to make money."

 

Yeh Carl.....Who ever heard of a professional athlete doing something for money?!? HAHAHAHA 40 million cough 40 million

 

This was part of the following article on ESPN.COM about the Canseco book:

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1991571

 

 

PS, before I get baraded by people for using Carl as an example of a greedy athlete, let me say he is at the lesser end of this spectrum.

685573[/snapback]

 

i really dislike carl pavano since the very moment he said the yankees were the team he always dream to play with WHAT A HYPRO :thumbdown

Please, if Carl wanted to he could have gotten much more than 40 million. I'd say he did take a discount by signing so early

Please, if Carl wanted to he could have gotten much more than 40 million. I'd say he did take a discount by signing so early

Notice how no libel suits have been brought out yet.

 

Perhaps there's a bit of truth to it.

 

:mischief2

685625[/snapback]

In any other case, there would be tons of lawsuits with these sort of allegations but if one of the players sued, they'd have to get on the stand and testify that they're clean. There hasn't even been the slightest hint of suits thus far.

Notice how no libel suits have been brought out yet.

 

Perhaps there's a bit of truth to it.

 

:mischief2

685625[/snapback]

In any other case, there would be tons of lawsuits with these sort of allegations but if one of the players sued, they'd have to get on the stand and testify that they're clean. There hasn't even been the slightest hint of suits thus far.

"There are certain things that belong with us ballplayers," Yankees pitcher Carl Pavano said. "It's a tight group. It's sad to see someone that desperate come throw themselves out there to make money."

 

Yeh Carl.....Who ever heard of a professional athlete doing something for money?!? HAHAHAHA 40 million cough 40 million

 

This was part of the following article on ESPN.COM about the Canseco book:

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1991571

 

 

PS, before I get baraded by people for using Carl as an example of a greedy athlete, let me say he is at the lesser end of this spectrum.

685573[/snapback]

 

i really dislike carl pavano since the very moment he said the yankees were the team he always dream to play with WHAT A HYPRO :thumbdown

686179[/snapback]

 

Carl Pavano grew up in Connecticut which is Yankee territory. So yes, he did grow up a Yankees fan and they are his dream team. He's not a "hypro" as you claim.

"There are certain things that belong with us ballplayers," Yankees pitcher Carl Pavano said. "It's a tight group. It's sad to see someone that desperate come throw themselves out there to make money."

 

Yeh Carl.....Who ever heard of a professional athlete doing something for money?!? HAHAHAHA 40 million cough 40 million

 

This was part of the following article on ESPN.COM about the Canseco book:

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1991571

 

 

PS, before I get baraded by people for using Carl as an example of a greedy athlete, let me say he is at the lesser end of this spectrum.

685573[/snapback]

 

i really dislike carl pavano since the very moment he said the yankees were the team he always dream to play with WHAT A HYPRO :thumbdown

686179[/snapback]

 

Carl Pavano grew up in Connecticut which is Yankee territory. So yes, he did grow up a Yankees fan and they are his dream team. He's not a "hypro" as you claim.

Remember when Time's Person of the Year award went to the whistle blowers at big corporations? It seems like Canseco won't be getting that kind of respect.

 

Who?s really at fault here? I blame the MLB players union for not allowing the level of drug testing that would maintain the integrity of the game. The lack of testing put players in the catch-22 of having to either (A) Rat out fellow players or (B) Allow cheating.

 

If I were a clean player I would be lobbying the players union for a strict testing and punishment policy in order to validate my accomplishments on the field and to assure that my competitors were not taking an unfair advantage.

Remember when Time's Person of the Year award went to the whistle blowers at big corporations? It seems like Canseco won't be getting that kind of respect.

 

Who?s really at fault here? I blame the MLB players union for not allowing the level of drug testing that would maintain the integrity of the game. The lack of testing put players in the catch-22 of having to either (A) Rat out fellow players or (B) Allow cheating.

 

If I were a clean player I would be lobbying the players union for a strict testing and punishment policy in order to validate my accomplishments on the field and to assure that my competitors were not taking an unfair advantage.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.