Does Life Exist

Lefty

This stems from a recent topic on the forum--

How many of you think that life exists outside of Earth, other than microbes and single cell organisms?

Do you believe that there are humanoid creatures out there, with their own culture and world?

I've done minimal research on the subject, and I've written essay's for class on the matter. Personally, I feel that if there really is no life outside of Earth--what the hell is the point of such a huge and vast entity as the universe?

Life exists--whether as a sister planet to Earth--or a completely different type of being.

And I can't wait for the day that we make such a discovery...And of course, it's possible that they already know we are here...

Speculate.

Guest Moneyball

You have to believe they exist. Not only that but they have come here and in early times had a hand in our evolution.

We might be their science experiment.

You have to believe they exist. Not only that but they have come here and in early times had a hand in our evolution.

686538[/snapback]

I don't know about that...I think you saw that movie with Gary Sinise (Red Plant or something?).

You really think that intelligent aliens existed 5 billion years ago, relatively soon after the big bang?

Guest Moneyball

686538[/snapback]

I don't know about that...I think you saw that movie with Gary Sinise (Red Plant or something?).

You really think that intelligent aliens existed 5 billion years ago, relatively soon after the big bang?

686545[/snapback]

Nope never seen that movie. Just my theory.

I'm not talking about 5 billion years ago I meant 4-5k years ago.

686538[/snapback]

686545[/snapback]

686550[/snapback]

You mean during the Egyptian reign?

Now that's a theory I have heard before...If you are referring to the building of the pyramids--stone henge, etc...

Guest Moneyball

686538[/snapback]

686545[/snapback]

686550[/snapback]

Now that's a theory I have heard before...If you are referring to the building of the pyramids--stone henge, etc...

686552[/snapback]

Yeah, around and even before the Egyptian times.

Guest Moneyball

Not only that but they have come here and in early times had a hand in our evolution.

686538[/snapback]

You sound like some kinda Mormon. :plain

686553[/snapback]

I assure you I'm not a Mormon.

686538[/snapback]

686545[/snapback]

686550[/snapback]

686552[/snapback]

Yeah, around and even before the Egyptian times.

686556[/snapback]

There is a lot of evidence to support that, too.

How would one explain such astounding advancements in things like astronomy?

The Egyptians were just advanced, as many other civilizations. Scientific advancement would have happened a lot faster if it wasn't the Romans conquering everything, the Germanic tribes destroying Rome, and that whole Middle Ages thing. That really screwed up human advancement.

686675[/snapback]

Well that's the way of life. War and international issues are always going to be a problem....

And actually, I have found war to further technologize our civilization. War leads to the invention of more powerful and advanced weapons--which leads to the advancement of society as a whole....

The Egyptians were just advanced, as many other civilizations.? Scientific advancement would have happened a lot faster if it wasn't the Romans conquering everything, the Germanic tribes destroying Rome, and that whole Middle Ages thing.? That really screwed up human advancement.

686675[/snapback]

Well that's the way of life. War and international issues are always going to be a problem....

And actually, I have found war to further technologize our civilization. War leads to the invention of more powerful and advanced weapons--which leads to the advancement of society as a whole....

686695[/snapback]

During the days of Alexander the Great someone proposed something like the steam engine and a bunch of other stuff, but for some reason none of the possible advancements ever happened(I don't remember world history). The point is humanity isn't as advanced as it could be. Imagine if the Renaisance (however its spelled) occured during the days of Alexander. :o

We could be colonizing Markla by now.

The Egyptians were just advanced, as many other civilizations.? Scientific advancement would have happened a lot faster if it wasn't the Romans conquering everything, the Germanic tribes destroying Rome, and that whole Middle Ages thing.? That really screwed up human advancement.

686675[/snapback]

686695[/snapback]

During the days of Alexander the Great someone proposed something like the steam engine and a bunch of other stuff, but for some reason none of the possible advancements ever happened(I don't remember world history). The point is humanity isn't as advanced as it could be. Imagine if the Renaisance (however its spelled) occured during the days of Alexander. :o

We could be colonizing Markla by now.

686703[/snapback]

The ancient Greeks invented the sewage system--like hundreds of years before anyone else adopted it!

I think...

But anyway, you have a valid point. However, I could argue the point even further--scientific achievement would have been far greater had some of the most renowned scientists lived to be 150 years old, rather than just passing on the information..

If Einstein were still alive, we'd be living in outerspace by now.

The Nasca lines have always freaked me out...

in the american midwest, drawings from ancient indian civilizations can be found painted on or etched in rocks. in southern peru, similar drawings can be found, but instead of being carved in stone, they are carved into the very earth itself, and are up to nine miles long. they are the nasca lines and glyphs, an amazing assortment of runway-type geometric lines and crudely drawn creatures, including a hundred-foot-tall man. these spectacular creations are so huge that they can only be appreciated from an airplane flying overhead. these figures, almost 900 of them, were discovered in the 1930s but are in fact 2,000 years old.

or did an ancient society of peruvians create these enormous and elaborate lines and shapes for religious or even artistic reasons? these patterns, which can only be viewed from the air, defy human logic and explanation. if anything on this planet perfectly fit the definition of "alien", it would be the nasca lines.

http://www.envasion.net/2003/nasca.html

The Nasca lines have always freaked me out...

in the american midwest, drawings from ancient indian civilizations can be found painted on or etched in rocks. in southern peru, similar drawings can be found, but instead of being carved in stone, they are carved into the very earth itself, and are up to nine miles long. they are the nasca lines and glyphs, an amazing assortment of runway-type geometric lines and crudely drawn creatures, including a hundred-foot-tall man. these spectacular creations are so huge that they can only be appreciated from an airplane flying overhead. these figures, almost 900 of them, were discovered in the 1930s but are in fact 2,000 years old.

or did an ancient society of peruvians create these enormous and elaborate lines and shapes for religious or even artistic reasons? these patterns, which can only be viewed from the air, defy human logic and explanation. if anything on this planet perfectly fit the definition of "alien", it would be the nasca lines.

http://www.envasion.net/2003/nasca.html

686732[/snapback]

Alien life, or proof of ancient civilizations in the book of Mormon. :plain

look, aliens never came to earth. If they had, we would still be able to see them to this day with our telescopes. They would have to travel so close to the speed of light to escape our current field of vision. But the speed of light can never be attained and if you even come close really f***y stuff starts happening.

As for all the stuff about alexander the greats steam engines... there have always been ideas well ahead of the technology at the time. Lots of people think if there was a chemist on par with Newton's physics, he would have gotten man to the moon.

Could there be life elsewhere in the universe? Sure. Considering the enormous opportunity for conditions similar to Earth's to occur, one could expect abundant life to form in the universe.

Now for life to evolve to the point where it could survive cataclysmic events is a another matter. As evolved as we are, mankind has not yet reached that point.

One major asteroid hit and the life cycle must start again on Earth. Just look at the extinction caused by the small asteroid hit at the time of the dinosaurs. We must colonize ourselves away from Earth, or devise the means to protect it for mankind to evolve to the point where we could explore the Galaxy.

In the grand scheme of things, we are not that far away. Therefore, if we could achieve this independence from our mother planet, then certainly other species already have. Have they traveled so far to reach Earth? Who knows? Anything is possible.

The Egyptians were just advanced, as many other civilizations. Scientific advancement would have happened a lot faster if it wasn't the Romans conquering everything, the Germanic tribes destroying Rome, and that whole Middle Ages thing. That really screwed up human advancement.

686675[/snapback]

686695[/snapback]

f*** war, that's called capitalism, son.

686675[/snapback]

686695[/snapback]

f*** war, that's called capitalism, son.

687117[/snapback]

Ok...

But I'm talking about war... :mischief2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.