Why not?

Marlins2003

It seems Littlefield and the Pirates have lost interest in Tike Redman.

The Pittsburgh papers have been abuzz with talk of Byrnes joining the Pirates and Redman being the odd man out.

He hit .280 last season, but interestingly, when moved down in the lineup for the last 100 games, he hit .312. While he's a CF, one has to believe that with his speed he could play the corners as well.

I bring this up because he's lefty outfield bat with speed, some power and he made the major league minimum last season. Now I like Aguila alot, and Dillon is an interesting option, then there's Willingham, etc., but given a choice of another righty bat on the bench or another lefty bat, I have to say I prefer the latter.

Redman puts the ball in play (something Jack likes), striking out only 50+ times in 550 or so at bats last season. He's a sound defensive player. I realize there's a ton of guys fighting for bench positions with the Fish this season so I'm not trying to complicate matters but keeping in mind that we can only carry so many pitchers and Ben Howard is out of options, perhaps, just perhaps, a fresh start for both players might bring value to the Marlins bench.

If anyone wants to say I shouldn't be proposing to complicate an already complicated outfield/platoon/bench situation I wouldn't disagree. But in my estimation Tike Redman would be asset to Fish and if he's available I'd like to see Admin B. make a run at him. Not just for this season, but for years to come.

Just a thought.

-------------------

Here's a couple of articles that have appeared recently:

Notebook: Possible acquisition of Byrnes gives Redman bad vibes

By Joe Rutter

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Sunday, February 20, 2005

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Tike Redman and Eric Byrnes, Class of the 1999 Arizona Fall League, could be reunited this spring as teammates on the Pirates.

And that's a bit unsettling for Redman.

Nothing against Byrnes, mind you. Redman thinks he's a good person and player. It's just that if the Pirates consummate their serious trade negotiations with the Oakland Athletics, the acquisition of Byrnes likely would force Redman to the bench.

Or, worse, off the roster.

"It kind of bothers me," Redman said Saturday morning when informed of the serious nature of the Pirates' discussions with the Athletics. "Sometimes, it makes me feel like they don't have that much faith in me. I could be wrong. Right now, I just have to go with the flow."

Byrnes batted .283 with 20 homers and 73 RBI last season while scoring a team-high 91 runs.

According to sources, the Pirates are willing to give up two minor-league prospects from a list of players that was submitted by the Athletics. The trade could be completed within the next three or four days, one source said.

Which means Redman could be on the outside looking in.

"I don't have any say-so in that," Redman said. "I can't control what they do up there (in the front office). I have to deal with it and come out here and do what I can do."

Byrnes mostly played left field last year with the Athletics, but he is capable of playing center. The Pirates also have tinkered with the idea of moving Rookie of the Year Jason Bay from left to center.

"I know him real well," Redman said, referring to Byrnes. "He's more of a corner type of guy. He'll add some power and speed to the lineup. We'll see what happens."

Redman is the only natural center fielder with major-league experience in camp, which also leaves him somewhat puzzled.

"I don't know what they're trying to do," he said. "I'm in here like everybody else fighting for a job."

------------------

Tike Redman: Proving ground

2004 starter comes to Bradenton to defend his spot in center field

Sunday, February 20, 2005

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BRADENTON, Fla. -- For most of last season, Tike Redman was the Pirates' center fielder, starting 134 games there.

For most of last season, he was productive offensively, hitting .312 in the final 99 games.

He was confident he had done most of what was needed to convince management he should retain the job in 2005.

He was wrong.

And he is defiant in expressing his belief that he should have been right.

"I thought I did enough," he said after a workout at Pirate City. "I don't know what they're thinking."

He paused and shook his head.

"I'm diving for balls. I'm playing out of position and going to get the balls that nobody really can get. I'm chasing them down and diving and catching them. I don't know what's going on. I thought I was doing the right things."

Apparently, management was not satisfied, as team officials have made clear that they have a vacancy in center field this spring.

They say that Redman, 28, has the upper hand -- "As we speak right now, it's probably his job to lose," manager Lloyd McClendon reiterated Friday -- but they also have established that Rob Mackowiak, also 28, is in the running. What is more, general manager Dave Littlefield has made known his desire to add an outfielder through trade.

The Pirates appear to have few reservations about Redman's offense, other than his inability to translate exceptional speed into stolen bases. Rather, they focus on his defense.

He made five errors last season, which was close to the average when weighed against the other 29 starting center fielders in Major League Baseball. He also had, according to the Bill James Handbook, a 2.53 rating for his range in the outfield that ranked 18th and just below average. He had two assists, tied for the lowest and a glaring indicator of his below-average arm.

What cannot be gleaned from statistics, but is management's main source of concern regarding Redman's defense, is how often he had slow jumps or incorrect breaks on fly balls.

Management wants to see a steadier performance at the plate, too.

Redman finished last season at .280 with 19 doubles, 4 triples, 8 home runs and 51 RBIs. But he opened by hitting .223 through 56 games and lost his leadoff spot to Jason Kendall, falling to sixth or seventh in the order.

What clearly frustrated the Pirates most about Redman offensively was that, despite being the fastest player on the roster, he managed only 18 steals in 24 chances. In 257 major-league games, he has 29 steals in 43 chances.

Redman said he would relish the chance to improve on those numbers but added that he cannot do so unless McClendon allows him to steal without waiting for a sign from the dugout.

"Hopefully, he'll steal me," Redman said. "I don't have a green light, so I just do what my manager wants me to do. I do want to run. I do want to steal bases."

McClendon acknowledged that Redman is not permitted to steal without permission. But he offered no apology, saying Redman displayed poor timing when running on his own.

"It's a matter of knowing the right time to do it," McClendon said. "It's sort of like figuring out when you should take on a 2-0 pitch. Look at the scoreboard. That will dictate what you should be doing. It's no different when stealing bases. Until it gets to a point where I'm trusting that speed and knowing that he's able to analyze situations, he won't have that green light."

McClendon also offered no apology for the Pirates' decision to open the center field job.

"The thing I'm looking for out of Tike and all our players is consistency. You've got to show up every day on both sides of the ball. That's what being a major-league player is all about. We can't afford to have those big gaps, those valleys. That's something I'm trying to get him and all our players to understand. Fact is, competition is part of this game. Until you're at the point where you can establish yourself and do it consistently for three or four or five years, nothing's going to be given to you."

Littlefield offered a similar assessment.

"It's just consistency in all phases. And improvement," he said. "You can see on a daily basis that Tike can do some good things. He's got a little punch with the bat, he can run, he's made some very impressive catches."

Management has stressed to Redman that defense will be the key to his regaining his job. And Redman apparently has gotten the message.

"I've got to keep playing the right angles," he said. "Basically, in my spring training, anything that's hit to the outfield, I've got to catch it. It doesn't matter if it's routine or impossible. They know I can hit and do everything else. In the past, I didn't care too much about getting better on defense because I could do it naturally. Now, they're stressing defense, so ... "

He sighed and smiled.

"That's why you have spring training. I'm out here to practice."

------------------

Note: Maybe a season watching JP (in the outfield and on the bases) is just what the doctor ordered.

yeah when i was the pirates in mvp baseball he was my leadoff man and at first i was thinking of sending him to AAA but i stuck with him and i think he is a great player. Id love to have him here in south florida. Plus he bats lefty and he has great speed. He won the world series for me against the angels (lol)

bring him in,i bet he would be cheap too.

The fact is, Redman isnt a leadoff man, when you hit .280 and your OBP is .310 thats saying something, he walked 23 times last year. And for a guy the'd only keep as a Leadoff, .231/.250/.301 in that spot doesn't cut it, and his D isnt good enough to rule out his bad O... Pit realized this and now are trying desperately to get someone else to man CF.

The fact is, Redman isnt a leadoff man, when you hit .280 and your OBP is .310 thats saying something, he walked 23 times last year. And for a guy the'd only keep as a Leadoff, .231/.250/.301 in that spot doesn't cut it, and his D isnt good enough to rule out his bad O... Pit realized this and now are trying desperately to get someone else to man CF.

690851[/snapback]

"...his bad O" ?

He hit .312 in the last 100 games he played last season. Give me a break. You're right though, he appears to have trouble in the lead-off position.

I wasn't suggesting btw he replace Encarnacion and Conine, I was suggesting him as a bench player with some developmental upside and a chance to start (when things sort themselves out and Encarnacion is gone and Conine may be retired) in 2006 since this is a team that seems destined to covet speed on the basepaths.

Lenny can't go on forever (and frankly if he lasts a week after he gets his ninth hit of the season I'll be surprised) and let's face it we don't have alot of lefty bats on the roster right now and except for maybe Hermida in the future, for less than $400,000, he's a definite maybe.

Although I do believe Redman would be a very valuable bench player, being able to play anywhere in the outfeild including CF, a pinch runner, a lefty. But I feel when we have this much depth already, why give up any type of talent. Just because they are willing to give him up doesnt meen we should persue him. Although his salary makes it even more appealing I feel we should just stay with what we have and go with Aguila. And as for him taking over for Pierre. The guy has no patience, he can't lead off, 23 BB!! So youll end up having a guy batting around .280 with no power in the bottom part of the order. Something you'd usually only do if he plays great D, which he doesnt, thats what i ment by that "bad O"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.