Mets Fans...

Mark

He's a decent 12th man for the pen. We used him more in a long relief and spotting starting role last year but he has struggled as a middle reliever. He's having a tremendous spring but didn't have a spot in the pen since we were carrying Koo and he was out of options. He only throws 2 pitches, fastball change-up but sometimes throws a slide piece. All in all, not a bad guy to have in you pen, but he's not going to be anything outside a decent long reliever.

Anything you can tell me about Coyler? I hear he has electric stuff, but no control.

727029[/snapback]

You heard right. He throws hard, but never seemed to have the control to be effective. There is potential though, as he had a few outings that seemed pretty good. He's still pretty young too. I am a little surprised we traded him, seeing that he was one of the few lefty relievers we had. If Colyer can keep get his control down I see him as being a pretty effective middle reliever or setup type of guy.

How do you feel about Matt Ginter? What is his stuff like?

There's word he's been traded to the Tigers today for LHP Steve Colyer, who just cleared waivers yesterday...

726910[/snapback]

He's got the same last name as me! :)

Mets_BS is right on with the assessment. Coming out of Miss. St. (where he started), everyone said that he'd be better in the bullpen than starting. I don't know a whole lot on the Tigers bullpen situation, but he cant be any worse than anyone else you have out there I suppose.

To be fair, the Mets' bullpen sucks and Colyer's not close to be ready to help. Eventually though he should be better than Ginter.

727200[/snapback]

That's how the Tigers are seeing it right now. Colyer is not going to help any team at this point. Ginter was a good option because I can see him starting a game here and there as well, and with guys like Jason Johnson in your staff, that's a good thing.

He could be a decent 5th starter if asked.

727144[/snapback]

No he can't. He's a terrible starter. Think Nate Bump. He's one of those guys that is stuck somewhere between long relief and starting. He's tried spot starting with mets & the team he was with before and it didn't pan out. He's a halfway decent relief guy, but he's not gonna be Gagne-like.

There's no reason to start another thread for my dialogue with Mets fans...

So, with the Looper fiasco yesterday (not too divulge into that anymore on this baord...), do you think Minaya is looking hard at Urbina right now? Do you think anything is in the works?

If so, who would the Mets be willing to give up? Aaron Baldiris? Concepcion?

Just wondering what a Mets/any other team fans feel about this...

If so, who would the Mets be willing to give up? Aaron Baldiris? Concepcion?

729476[/snapback]

I heard he's more interested in someone from Baltimore or Baez from TB (although they wanted Petit which won't happen)

Baldiris maybe because he would have Bowman, Evans, and Wright ahead of him. Concepcion is intriguing because he's a great prospect, but he's older for the level he's playing at and he has to stay on the 40 man roster. I actually wouldn't mind trading Concepcion, his trade value probably won't get much higher. Baldiris is probably a better 2nd baseman, he has very little power but is a good contact hitter. Another possibility is Vic Diaz, he's a great player but has no spot on the team and could be a good DH.

Just as long as it isn't Milledge, Humber, Petit, or Hernandez then I can't comlpain.

Yeah, I've heard some Tigers fans mention Milledge and Petit, but I was pretty sure Minaya wouldn't go for that. A closer getting up in the years isn't worth that much to the Mets.

I've heard Baez's name quite a bit now. I think he would be a better option that Urbina, but the Rays front office has been asking a lot for him.