Nice Story On Jeffrey Loria

Florida Marlins owner manages baseball team for 6- and 7-year-olds in Monroe.

MONROE ? New Jersey may be Yankees and Mets country, but Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria recently made a move that won over a dozen young township baseball fans.

"I've known Jeffrey since I was about 5 years old," said Stephanie Heatter, wife of Jim Heatter, the manager of the Monroe Marlins, a team of 6- and 7- year-olds in the Monroe Township Baseball Association.

When Ms. Heatter's husband found out earlier this spring that the team he would be managing, and which the Heatters' 6-year-old son, Eric, would be playing on, was to be called the Marlins, she mentioned it to her father, who mentioned it to Mr. Loria, who sent the team several boxes of free Marlins gear, including hats, gloves, bats and jerseys ? all the official team stuff.

"It was funny, when the boxes arrived with my name on them, Jim was upset, like, 'whadda ya buyin' now? What is all this?' " Ms. Heatter recalled with a laugh. "And then we opened it up and it was all this stuff."

The gear was a hit with the team, Mr. Heatter said ? particularly several packages of Marlins faux tattoos, which the kids promptly plastered all over themselves.

"The kids probably liked the tattoos better than anything else," he said. "But they look great in the jerseys."

The team, which is sponsored by Police Benevolent Association Local 255, doesn't play in the Florida jerseys during games ? they have official jerseys bearing the name of their sponsors they're required to wear ? but the kids all enjoy them just the same.

Just before the team's game Monday afternoon with the Monroe Mariners, the Marlins posed for pictures in the Florida jerseys. The photo will be used as a thank-you card to Mr. Loria.

The kids, most of whom still give their allegiance as fans to the Bronx Bombers, discussed the merits of the Marlins, their new favorite National League team.

"I like number nine," Mike Granda declared.

"Juan Pierre," Eric said, supplying his friend with the name of the Marlins center fielder. "J.P."

"Yeah, J.P.!" Mike echoed.

"But the Yankees are still the best," Eric said.

"The best in the American League, right?" Ms. Heatter asked. "The Marlins are the best in the National League, huh?"

"Yeah," Eric and Mike said, with most of their teammates nodding in agreement.

Two who weren't so keen to agree were R.J. Dreyfuss and Paul Johnson, who already have a favorite National League team.

"We like the Mets," R.J. said, throwing his arm around Paul's shoulders companionably.

So while the rest of the team, swinging their Little-League size Marlins bats around to warm up for the game, talked joyfully of the prospect of a Yankees-Marlins showdown in the Word Series, R.J. and Paul quietly contemplated the prospect of a Mets-Marlins National League Series.

Probably Mr. Loria would be happy with either. Or both.

Linky

:lol Great story. :thumbup

Loria's a nice man.

And I guess everyone loves JP...he's even my favorite player on the Marlins.

But those kids got only half of it right...the Marlins are the best team in the NL but the Yankees aren't the best team in the AL...

Anyways, it's nice to pick up some more Marlin fans... :)

When Ms. Heatter's husband found out earlier this spring that the team he would be managing, and which the Heatters' 6-year-old son, Eric, would be playing on, was to be called the Marlins, she mentioned it to her father, who mentioned it to Mr. Loria, who sent the team several boxes of free Marlins gear, including hats, gloves, bats and jerseys ? all the official team stuff.

"It was funny, when the boxes arrived with my name on them, Jim was upset, like, 'whadda ya buyin' now? What is all this?' " Ms. Heatter recalled with a laugh. "And then we opened it up and it was all this stuff."

If Huizenga was still the owner of the Marlins and he found out a little league team was calling themselves the Marlins, he would send a cease and desist letter to the director of the league and take them to court :lol .

When Ms. Heatter's husband found out earlier this spring that the team he would be managing, and which the Heatters' 6-year-old son, Eric, would be playing on, was to be called the Marlins, she mentioned it to her father, who mentioned it to Mr. Loria, who sent the team several boxes of free Marlins gear, including hats, gloves, bats and jerseys — all the official team stuff.

? "It was funny, when the boxes arrived with my name on them, Jim was upset, like, 'whadda ya buyin' now? What is all this?' " Ms. Heatter recalled with a laugh. "And then we opened it up and it was all this stuff."

If Huizenga was still the owner of the Marlins and he found out a little league team was calling themselves the Marlins, he would send a cease and desist letter to the director of the league and take them to court :lol .

772799[/snapback]

...before trading them all away for marginally-talented 4 year-olds

Guest Juanky

...before trading them all away for marginally-talented 4 year-oldsBut they'd get some stud 2 year olds too!

• 2 weeks later...