Match up of the day Preview

Delgado eagerly awaits Sosa

Carlos has hit 5 homers and 1 double in 6 for 6 against Jose Sosa

BY CLARK SPENCER

[email protected]

Carlos Delgado is about as humble as they come, deflecting praise at every turn. But even he couldn't suppress a smile when asked what he knew of Braves pitcher Jorge Sosa.

Put mildly, Delgado has become Sosa's worst nightmare.

When Sosa takes the mound tonight for Atlanta, he will try to end a streak in which Delgado -- in his last six at-bats against the pitcher -- has doubled and hit five home runs.

''It's in the past, though,'' Delgado said, trying to downplay his success with Sosa.

When he was with the Blue Jays, Delgado homered off Sosa -- then with the Devil Rays -- on Sept. 10, 2003. Two weeks later, Delgado hit four home runs in a game against the Devil Rays, the first two coming off Sosa.

Delgado had back-to-back home runs off Sosa last season, giving him home runs in five consecutive plate appearances against the pitcher.

''It just worked out that way,'' Delgado said of his run of home runs against the right-hander.

The home run streak ended opening day when Delgado merely doubled off Sosa, who began the season in the bullpen but recently was thrust into a starting role.

Who cares about stats. I WANT TO WIN GAMES!

We need to win like 8 of 10 right here.

822176[/snapback]

I posted that so we are all reminded of this particular stat....because now let's watch what happens.

Carlos goes 0-4 against him...that's the way things are going.

Let's hope not!

Didn't we crush Sosa earlier in the season at home?

We should win tonight and take 2 out of 3 from Tampa. Come home and take 3 of 4 from the Braves in that June 27-30 series.

40-36 record by the end of June.

We play 11 of 14 games at home heading into the allstar break,

Odd note: We play the Brave at our home June 27-30 but then do a quick 3-game trip against the Mets in NY and then turn around and play the final 7 games at Dolphins stadium leading up to the allstar break. Weird to have a trip to NYC sandwiched in between home games.Very strange scheduling by MLB this year.

I predict we will be 47-39 at the Allstar break...or worst case 46-40. Any worse than that, then we are not snapping out of anything.

Who cares about stats. I WANT TO WIN GAMES!

We need to win like 8 of 10 right here.

822176[/snapback]

We should win tonight and take 2 out of 3 from Tampa. Come home and take 3 of 4 from the Braves in that June 27-30 series.

40-36 record by the end of June.

We play 11 of 14 games at home heading into the allstar break,

Odd note: We play the Brave at our home June 27-30 but then do a quick 3-game trip against the Mets in NY and then turn around and play the final 7 games at Dolphins stadium leading up to the allstar break. Weird to have a trip to NYC sandwiched in between home games.Very strange scheduling by MLB this year.

I predict we will be 47-39 at the Allstar break...or worst case 46-40. Any worse than that, then we are not snapping out of anything.

822436[/snapback]

i think 3 outta 4 from atlanta is alittle to much i say a half is good enough for me and i agree if this team is not atleast 5 games over 500. by the break than im worried about the next half.

MLB doesn't make they schedule. They outsource it. For the last few decades an old couple spent the winter at home making the schedule. Now some company bought the rights to do it, and they've royally screwed it up. Long home and road stretches for most teams. Few make-up days available late in the year. Lots of early April games in cold weather cities.