Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Good McKeon story in Herald

Featured Replies

Game still beckons McKeon

 

On the first day of being the Marlins' ex-manager, Jack McKeon knew there would be more baseball in his future -- even if it was teaching his grandson.

 

BY CLARK SPENCER

 

cspencer@herald.com

 

 

Jack McKeon went about Monday like it was any other day. He started out by reading the sports pages, took in morning Mass at St. Matthew Catholic Church in Hallandale Beach and headed straight to Dolphins Stadium. Only the daily rituals that seemed routine before were altogether different.

 

The sports stories he read were mostly personal in nature, not game accounts.

 

The sermon delivered by Father Jim Quinn was partly a tribute to him.

 

And the baseball diamond that he gazed upon for three seasons had been turned into a football gridiron.

 

Overnight.

 

On Sunday, McKeon was managing the Marlins.

 

On Monday, he was inside his office packing the belongings that had collected there: his World Series humidor, two framed papal blessings, the picture of Mother Teresa, the hand bell given to him by beat writers to ring in the 2005 season, the doctor's smock he enjoyed putting on when he was asked to provide a medical update on one of his injured players, the photos of himself, and too many cigars to count.

 

''I don't want anybody coming in this office seeing my face on the walls,'' McKeon said with a laugh.

 

With McKeon stepping down as manager on Sunday, he made certain the next occupant wouldn't be reminded of his predecessor in glossy images. He packed it all in boxes, everything but the stench of stale cigar smoke that permeates the office. It stays.

 

`SOMETHING SPECIAL'

 

McKeon's reign with the Marlins ended Sunday the way it started on May 11, 2003 -- with a victory. There were 448 regular-season games and a World Series title in the middle, the latter earning him his first championship ring and memories to last a lifetime.

 

''This was something special here,'' he said wistfully.

 

Though McKeon will remain on the payroll as an advisor to team owner Jeffrey Loria, it won't be the same. He will work out of his home in Elon, N.C., watching baseball games day and night in his den, smoking cigars in his garage even in the cold of winter so as not to smell up the house, and trolling around town in the black Mercedes given to him by Loria as a token of appreciation for winning the World Series.

 

But unless another team comes calling the way Loria did in '03 -- something that would seem unlikely considering McKeon turns 75 in November -- his days spent in a uniform are over. And he has worn one off and on for more than 50 years.

 

When he told his wife recently that he was going to call it quits, she wasn't quite sure what to think.

 

''I really didn't believe it,'' said Carol McKeon, Jack's wife of 50 years. 'When we left the ballpark yesterday, he said, `This is what you wanted.' And I said, 'Wait a minute. You made your own decision. I had nothing to do with it.' I'd rather not live with someone who is not happy, so I let him do what he wants.''

 

After Sunday's news conference, the McKeons went out to dinner, stopped by the Hard Rock Cafe & Casino near Hollywood to play the quarter slots for about 90 minutes and went home. On Monday, McKeon stopped in at St. Matthew and took a seat in one of the back pews.

 

McKeon couldn't make out the words in Quinn's sermon at first.

 

'I turned to someone and I said, `What is this guy talking about?' '' McKeon said. 'He said, `He's talking about you.' He was telling the people in church here how much I meant to their parish. The other time he did that was after we won the World Series.''

 

ON HIS WAY

 

McKeon didn't linger long to talk to his fellow parishioners after the sermon.

 

''I got out in a hurry because it was too emotional,'' McKeon said. ``They were all loyal supporters of the Marlins. It was almost like a club.''

 

The McKeons will drive to Elon on Wednesday, their days in South Florida over.

 

McKeon said he planned to spend time with his grandchildren. He has a granddaughter in college who cried when she called him on Sunday, and a 12-year-old grandson who plays baseball.

 

''I'm going to spend my time trying to polish him up a little bit,'' McKeon said.

 

Once a manager, always a manager.

 

Even Monday, the ballpark beckoned one last time.

 

''I can't stay away,'' he said. ``What would I have done? Just sit at home?''

 

 

 

 

:crying

The McKeons will drive to Elon on Wednesday, their days in South Florida over.

 

Man, this is some sad stuff, I can't believe it's over.

 

:crying :crying :crying :crying

The McKeons will drive to Elon on Wednesday, their days in South Florida over.

 

Man, this is some sad stuff, I can't believe it's over.

 

:crying :crying :crying :crying

 

I was gonna post that! That really tugged at my heart.

It's really not sad. Maybe cleaning out his office from his previous managerial job was sad, but this isn't. The end of McKeon's career is a feel good story. He spent his life in baseball. He managed until he was 75! He ended his career with a World Series win and 2 winning seasons. We should all be lucky enough to experience this kind of thing when we're in our seventies.

Sure I'll miss Jack. But I'm ready for a change. I wish him all the best and hope we get to see him next year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.