Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2005 Baseball Writers Associaton Awards Thread

Featured Replies

Ok folks here is the schedule for the next eight days with all the awards coming out (All Awards to be announced at 2 p.m. EST):

 

Nov. 7 AL Rookies of the Year: Huston Street, Oakland A's

 

Nov. 7 NL Rookies of the Year: Ryan Howard, Philadelphia Phillies

 

Nov. 8 AL Cy Young Award: Bartolo Colon, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

 

Nov. 9 AL Manager of the Year: Ozzie Guillen, Chicago White Sox

 

Nov. 9 NL Manager of the Year: Bobby Cox, Atlanta Braves

 

Nov. 10 NL Cy Young Award: Chris Carpenter, St. Louis Cardinals

 

Nov. 14 AL Most Valuable Player: Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees

 

Nov. 15 NL Most Valuable Player: Albert Pujols, St. Louis Cardinals

Both rookies of the year are announced today? Have they always done them on the same day?

I'm not really expecting D-Train to win the Cy Young, even though I think he deserves it most. I want to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not really expecting D-Train to win the Cy Young, even though I think he deserves it most. I want to be pleasantly surprised.

 

 

And I'm thinking Dontrelle (Or Clemens) will win it even though I want Carpenter to.. I'm like you are.. Hoping I'm wrong.. I'll be glad for whoever gets that though :thumbup

I'm not really expecting D-Train to win the Cy Young, even though I think he deserves it most. I want to be pleasantly surprised.

 

 

And I'm thinking Dontrelle (Or Clemens) will win it even though I want Carpenter to.. I'm like you are.. Hoping I'm wrong.. I'll be glad for whoever gets that though :thumbup

 

The fact that Carpenter won the Player's Choice Award makes me think he'll also win the Cy Young. I could be wrong, though.

I'm not really expecting D-Train to win the Cy Young, even though I think he deserves it most. I want to be pleasantly surprised.

 

 

And I'm thinking Dontrelle (Or Clemens) will win it even though I want Carpenter to.. I'm like you are.. Hoping I'm wrong.. I'll be glad for whoever gets that though :thumbup

 

The fact that Carpenter won the Player's Choice Award makes me think he'll also win the Cy Young. I could be wrong, though.

 

The fact that Jeter won the Gold Glove makes me think that Al Leiter will win the Cy Young.

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

  • Author

NEW YORK ? (AP) ? Huston Street became the second consecutive AL Rookie of the Year from the Oakland Athletics, and Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard won the NL award Monday.

 

Street, who took over as Oakland's closer in May, got 15 of 28 first-place votes in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America and finished with 97 points. New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano came in second with 57 points, followed by Tampa Bay designated hitter Jonny Gomes with 39.

 

A's shortstop Bobby Crosby was the 2004 winner.

 

Howard replaced injured star Jim Thome and led all rookies with 22 home runs. He received 19 of 32 first-place votes and 109 points to beat out Houston Astros outfielder Willy Taveras, who got 78 points. Atlanta Braves right fielder Jeff Francouer was third with 60.

 

Street, the son of former Texas quarterback James Street, who led the Longhorns to a national title in 1969, became Oakland's closer when Octavio Dotel went down with an injury. The 22-year-old righty went 5-1 with 23 saves and a 1.72 ERA ? second among AL closers to New York's Mariano Rivera.

 

Street had 72 strikeouts in 78 1-3 innings, and opposing hitters batted only .194 against him.

 

Howard had been a highly touted slugger in the minors for years, but his path to the majors appeared blocked until back and elbow injuries sidelined Thome.

 

Howard took advantage of his opportunity to play regularly, batting .288 with 63 RBIs in 88 games. He had 11 homers and 27 RBIs in September and October, helping Philadelphia come within one game of a wild-card berth.

 

He is the fourth Phillies player to win the award, joining Scott Rolen, Dick Allen and Jack Sanford.

 

Street is the fifth Oakland player honored, joining Crosby, Ben Grieve, Walt Weiss, Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco.

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.Can we bump off the AL winner and give two NL Cy Youngs?

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.Can we bump off the AL winner and give two NL Cy Youngs?

Id be all for it, considering that 6-8 of the top 10 pitchers this year were in the NL.

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

 

You could make a case for Halladay.

I'm not really expecting D-Train to win the Cy Young, even though I think he deserves it most. I want to be pleasantly surprised.

 

 

And I'm thinking Dontrelle (Or Clemens) will win it even though I want Carpenter to.. I'm like you are.. Hoping I'm wrong.. I'll be glad for whoever gets that though :thumbup

 

The fact that Carpenter won the Player's Choice Award makes me think he'll also win the Cy Young. I could be wrong, though.

 

The fact that Jeter won the Gold Glove makes me think that Al Leiter will win the Cy Young.

 

:lol :lol Good point.

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

 

You could make a case for Halladay.

Yeah, I still think Pedro should have won that year even with the lack of run support he recieved in his starts that year and a horrible regular season bullpen.

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

Johan Santana laid a real stinker this year...

 

16-7 2.87 ERA 238 Ks 0.97 WHIP 9.25 K/9 IP

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

Johan Santana laid a real stinker this year...

 

16-7 2.87 ERA 238 Ks 0.97 WHIP 9.25 K/9 IP

He wont win though.

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

Johan Santana laid a real stinker this year...

 

16-7 2.87 ERA 238 Ks 0.97 WHIP 9.25 K/9 IP

He wont win though.

I know, but the voters are stupid.

 

D. Lee won the GG and SS, but he'll lose the MVP to a player that plays the same position as him.

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

Johan Santana laid a real stinker this year...

 

16-7 2.87 ERA 238 Ks 0.97 WHIP 9.25 K/9 IP

He wont win though.

I know, but the voters are stupid.

 

D. Lee won the GG and SS, but he'll lose the MVP to a player that plays the same position as him.

 

Since when does Derrek Lee play CF? Did I miss something?

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

Johan Santana laid a real stinker this year...

 

16-7 2.87 ERA 238 Ks 0.97 WHIP 9.25 K/9 IP

He wont win though.

I know, but the voters are stupid.

 

D. Lee won the GG and SS, but he'll lose the MVP to a player that plays the same position as him.

 

Since when does Derrek Lee play CF? Did I miss something?

Are you implying it's Edmonds' award?

 

 

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

Johan Santana laid a real stinker this year...

 

16-7 2.87 ERA 238 Ks 0.97 WHIP 9.25 K/9 IP

He wont win though.

I know, but the voters are stupid.

 

D. Lee won the GG and SS, but he'll lose the MVP to a player that plays the same position as him.

 

Since when does Derrek Lee play CF? Did I miss something?

Are you implying it's Edmonds' award?

 

 

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

 

Obviously that it's Andruw's award, and I disagree. I think either Lee or Pujols win it.

  • Author

Los Angeles Angels pitcher Bartolo Colon won the AL Cy Young on Tuesday.

 

The right-hander from the Dominican Republic was 21-7 with a 3.48 ERA during the regular season.

 

He beat out Mariano Rivera and last year's runaway winner Johan Santana.

 

Colon left his start against the New York Yankees in Game 5 of the ALDS of the playoffs after only 23 pitches because of inflammation in his right shoulder.

 

He had been bothered by tightness in his back since early September and did not play in the ALCS against the eventual champion Chicago White Sox.

 

Final votes:

Player First Second Third Total

Colon, LAA 17 11 0 118

Rivera, NYY 8 7 7 68

Santana, Minn 3 8 12 51

Lee, Clev. 0 2 2 8

Buerhle, CWS 0 0 5 5

Garland, CWS 0 0 1 1

Millwood, Clev. 0 0 1 1

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2217678

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

 

You could make a case for Halladay.

Yeah, I still think Pedro should have won that year even with the lack of run support he recieved in his starts that year and a horrible regular season bullpen.

Santana had better numbers across the board

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

 

You could make a case for Halladay.

Yeah, I still think Pedro should have won that year even with the lack of run support he recieved in his starts that year and a horrible regular season bullpen.

Santana had better numbers across the board

In 2003? Are you high? Pedro had more wins, lower ERA, and more K's.

The signs of nature, etc are evident that it is the year of "Cy Colon" in the AL.

:arms :angel_not

 

Whoever wins in the AL will be the most unimpressive CY Young winner since Pat Hentgen.

 

You could make a case for Halladay.

Yeah, I still think Pedro should have won that year even with the lack of run support he recieved in his starts that year and a horrible regular season bullpen.

Santana had better numbers across the board

In 2003? Are you high? Pedro had more wins, lower ERA, and more K's.

never mind, i thought you were referring to last year...I agree about 2003

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.