Dodgers are getting ready to make a run at Delgado/Pierre

Dodgers Could Take Marlins' Bait

# Colletti has discussions with Florida's general manager, who is looking to move players. Beckett could be headed to Boston.

By Tim Brown, Times Staff Writer

The Dodgers have jumped in on the fire sale that apparently will become the Florida Marlins, though apparently too late to acquire starter Josh Beckett, who on Monday night was rumored to be headed to the Boston Red Sox with Mike Lowell for a handful of prospects.

Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti spoke Monday with Marlin General Manager Admin Beinfest, who he said was "thinking about moving a few different players ? and he knows what our interest is."Of the potentially available Marlins, center fielder and leadoff hitter Juan Pierre, and first baseman and middle-of-the-order hitter Carlos Delgado would make the most sense, given Dodger needs in the outfield and at first base.

On a back-loaded contract he signed almost a year ago, Delgado is due $48 million over the next three years. Colletti said owner Frank McCourt has not yet set his payroll. Organizational sources have estimated it to be as low as $75 million, $6 million less than last season.

Colletti said he has expressed to McCourt his visions for the team ? adding an outfielder such as free agent Brian Giles, who is expected to draw as much as $11 million a year, a third baseman such as Nomar Garciaparra, who could fill in at shortstop as Cesar Izturis heals from Tommy John surgery, and another starting pitcher.

"I haven't been told to slow down, stop or turn back," Colletti said. "I don't have a direct number, but I don't have any need for a set number right now."

Colletti continued to compile a list of managerial candidates beyond front-runner Jim Fregosi. Angel pitching coach Bud Black is believed to be among those who will be contacted and interviewed.

Over the weekend, Colletti identified Fregosi as a qualified candidate, lost Lou Piniella and conducted an information-only meeting with Terry Collins, who does not appear to be in the running. He went back to the phones Monday when he researched potential candidates and did not formally request permission to contact any. He said he believed he would make at least two requests by today, and hoped to have a manager in place by the winter meetings, which begin Dec. 5 in Dallas.

"I can't guarantee it's going to be done by the winter meetings," he said. "I'd certainly like it to be done by then."

I like the Dodgers prospect from what I've read

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...orts-majorbaseb

I'd still rather trade Delgado to the Mutts and hopefully get Milledge back. Navarro for Lo Duca seems A OK to me...maybe get two prospects back, send one to the cubs for Murton.

Although if we got Andy LaRoche I'd be happy. Future 2B fo sho.

He's a corner infielder/outfielder with huge power potential. He's not like Adam.

I'd still rather trade Delgado to the Mutts and hopefully get Milledge back. Navarro for Lo Duca seems A OK to me...maybe get two prospects back, send one to the cubs for Murton.

Although if we got Andy LaRoche I'd be happy. Future 2B fo sho.

He's a corner infielder/outfielder with huge power potential. He's not like Adam.

Really? The scouting magazine I have, from Lindys, has Andy LaRoche listed as a 2B, rotoworld has him as a 3B. Since we have a 3B and need a 2B of the future, my guess is that is where we would play him. We have 3 guys(Harvey, McCann, and Stokes) who will battle it out for 1B for the near future and of course Cabs @ 3B. 2B seems like the most likely option.

I personally like the Dodgers system Chad Billingsley is a stud and before he got hurt I really like Greg Miller. The best position player in the Dodgers is Joel Guzman he like Miguel in that he's SS who's outgrown the position at 6'6'' 230, so 3B could be where he ends up. I have a feeling though if the Dodgers make an offer for Delgado 1B James Loney could be in the deal not Guzman...but IMO Billingsley is a must in any deal with LA