Better Sci-Fi Franchise?

FutureGM

Personally, I grew up watching Captain Picard's crew in the late-80's/early-90's. Until Voyager screwed them up, there was no better villain than the Borg. They were as good as unstoppable. Reruns of ST:TNG and Deep Space Nine on Spike TV have saved me a lot of money in DVD box sets. I personally like DS9 best overall, but TNG is very close behind that. Voyager is 3rd, Enterprise 4th, and the Original Series 5th. Since I didn't grow up in the 60's, I never cared for the original episodes. The movies with the Original Series crew were fine though (except the first and fifth ones).

I like Star Wars, don't get me wrong, but Lucas ruined the whole thing when he did the prequels. Revenge of the Sith made me feel slightly better about them, but the first two were really bad. None of the three compare to any of the originals.

I'll vote for Star Wars. Star Wars was always cooler while Star Trek was always for "nerds." However, the little I know of Trek and the stuff I've seen of it the Trek stuff is better written overall (the Next Generation episodes had me kinda' hooked when I'd catch their repeats late night on Fox). But, I grew up Star Wars and regardless I think those original three movies raised the bar for a lot of stuff outside of science fiction.

However, I think some that deserve honorable mentions are Aliens and Evil Dead series (even though E.D. is more of a horror/sci-fi mix). Although, for my money, there's no better sci-fi movie than the original Robocop.

The storyline in ST was great because there were so many different fronts. But the overall storyline has to go to SW.

I think that ST's storyline, for its time, was more original than SW. After all, George Lucas' basis for the story came out of many different sources, primarily ancient Greek and Roman mythology, along with some old Japanese stories. In addition, the last time I checked, SW didn't have a message.

The storyline in ST was great because there were so many different fronts. But the overall storyline has to go to SW.

I think that ST's storyline, for its time, was more original than SW. After all, George Lucas' basis for the story came out of many different sources, primarily ancient Greek and Roman mythology, along with some old Japanese stories. In addition, the last time I checked, SW didn't have a message.

What is ST's message?

Don't do battle with a cling on

What is ST's message?

Don't do battle with a cling on

The original series was preaching tolerance and cooperation to people with different races and ethnicities, as shown by the fact that they had a Russian, a black woman, and an alien on the bridge in the middle of the 1960's. The Klingons were supposed to represent the USSR, and I believe the Romulans were China.