A view from above

Teal Shadow

The Marlins didn't receive a sure-fire prospect in the Pierre deal but they picked up three very credible pitchers, which is a lot for a player like Pierre. This is why I favor this deal for Florida.

Ricky Nolasco dominated the Southern League this past season, going 14-3 with a 2.89 ERA in 27 starts. He rung up 173 batters in 161.2 innings of work. The 22-year-old right-hander was able to take a step forward as a pitcher this season because he improved his fastball command. He works all parts of the plate with the pitch now. Nolasco's best pitch remains his curveball and his change-up is an average third offering. Nolasco could very well end up being an innings-eating #4 starter in the majors.

Sergio Mitre could enter next season as the Marlins' 5th starter. The 25-year-old right-hander lives and dies with his low-90s sinker. When the pitch is on, Mitre can make it through a big league line-up three times. When Mitre's sinker is misfiring, he becomes very ordinary because his secondary stuff is a bit short, although his curveball has its moments.

Renyel Pinto is a huge wild card in this deal. Pinto is currently a mess because he cannot command his low-90s fastball with any kind of consistency. He often misses up and away with the pitch against right-handed hitters. He's so wild with the pitch that he can't even get hitters to chase it. What Pinto lacks in command he makes up for in stuff. Pinto complements his explosive fastball with a knock-out change-up and his slider shows nice potential. If Pinto can somehow harness his fastball, he has the potential to become a power reliever in the majors. A Damaso Marte-type.

So far, I've liked the talent the Marlins have gotten back in every single deal. They are going after the right prospects.

Travis Bowyer is one of the best reliever prospects in the game today. The 24-year-old right-hander is all about the #1. He can routinely hit the mid-90s with his fastball and can touch the high-90s. He also throws a curve and a change-up, but both pitches could still use some fine-tuning. Bowyer should at least develop into a set-up man in the majors and he definitely has the potential to become a closer.

Scott Tyler has always possessed a big-time arm but he's never really commanded his power stuff enough to take the next step as a pitcher. He's getting closer and closer to doing this, though. Tyler's best pitch is his heavy, low-90s fastball. The pitch shows some real nice life. Tyler also throws a hard curve and a change-up. Both pitches have shown improvement the past two years. The key to Tyler's future has always been linked to his control. He was a mess early in his career but he's really made some strides with his command the past two seasons. How Tyler fares at Double-A in 2006 will go a long way in determining his near future. My guess is that Tyler ends up in middle relief in the majors.

Gaby Hernandez, a Miami native, has the potential to become an innings-eating #3/4 starter in the majors. The 19-year-old right-hander currently relies on a sinking, low-90s fastball and a good curveball to get outs. Hernandez's fastball won't dominate big league hitters, but he does a solid job of commanding the pitch down in the zone. Hernandez's curve and change-up are definitely going to be critical to his future success. He must sharpen both of these pitches. Since Hernandez is still so very young, time is definitely on his side.

Hanley Ramirez is one of the most skilled prospects in the minors today. He's a 6-foot-3 shortstop who has terrific physical tools. He can pretty much do it all on the field and he's still just scratching the surface. The thing that really makes Ramirez a potential star and team leader is his upbeat attitude. He exudes positivity and confidence. He really livens up a team. I really like Ramirez. I think he has the potential to become the Dominican version of Derek Jeter. Ramirez, 21, isn't as pure a player as Jeter, but I think he has the physical talent and intangibles of a Jeter.

Anibal Sanchez is a very critical player in the deal for the Marlins because I think that if a team is going to deal away a pitcher like Beckett, they must get back a pitcher with #1-3 starter potential, and I think Sanchez fits the bill. Sanchez's physical talent is currently ahead of his pitching acumen at this point in his development, which is normal. The 21-year-old Venezuelan has the makings of three quality pitches. His fastball routinely hits the low-90s and can touch the mid-90s. He really likes to challenge hitters up in the zone with the gas, which I like a lot. Sanchez's change-up can be a "strike out" pitch when he's commanding it with the heater. The combination can equal many weak outs. Sanchez's curve is the key to him becoming a consistent starter in the majors. He's made progress with the pitch but he still tends to roll the pitch at times. The only question I have about Sanchez at this point is his style. Does he have the "eye of the tiger" that is needed to become a #1-2 starter in the majors? Even if he doesn't reach #1-2 status, he should become a innings-eating #3 starter, which still should be enough to make the Fish happy.

Jesus Delgado and Harvey Garcia are potential middle relievers in the majors and Delgado has the chance to develop into a set-up man. Delgado has been around for a little while but he's never really put it all together. He started to take a big step forward as a pitcher this season and he continued that trend in the Arizona Fall League, which is probably one of the biggest reasons why the Marlins wanted him in the deal. The 21-year-old Venezuelan has always possessed a plus fastball but his off-speed stuff hasn't been sharp enough to get hitters off the #1. If he can continue to improve his off-speed stuff, he should be able to make the jump to the majors and become a middle reliever and a possible set-up man. Like Delgado, Garcia is a live-armed Venezuelan who could find his way to the Show with improved command and sharper breaking stuff. I actually like Garcia a little more than Delgado because his off-speed stuff is a little more advanced.

Yusmeiro Petit has the potential to become a Livan Hernandez-type in the majors. He's not going to blow you away with his stuff, but he will make some big leaguers look foolish with his deceptive delivery and pinpoint control. Petit's fastball is not overpowering, but he spots it very well and he seemingly holds on to the pitch forever. Hitters have a very difficult time picking up Petit's heater and they also become very anxious with the pitch. Petit also throws a good change and a solid slider, but neither of those pitches are necessarily nasty. It's the fastball that makes those pitches work. I think Petit can become a workman-like starter in the majors. A #3/2 starter who can win you 15 games.

Mike Jacobs raised quite a few eyebrows when he hit .310 with 11 homers in just 100 at-bats for the Mets this September. Jacobs was also named the Eastern League MVP this season after hitting .321 with 37 doubles, 25 bombs, and 93 RBIs in 117 games. The 25-year-old slugger has bounced between catcher and first base in his pro career but his future in the bigs is at first base. Jacobs is mostly a pull-hitter with a long, whippy swing. Even though his swing is long, he does generate good bat speed, which allows him to catch up with inside fastballs. Like most left-handed hitters, Jacobs punishes down-and-in stuff. When he gets full extension on a low fastball... look out. It will be interesting to see how Jacobs handles the away stuff and pitches in and above the belt next season. If he can handles those pitches, he can become a 25-30 home run guy in the majors. As of the moment, I would guess that Jacobs and Josh Willingham will end up platooning at first base for the Marlins next season.

Grant Psomas' prospect star went up this season after he hit .301 with 37 doubles, 20 homers, 81 runs scored, 69 RBIs, and 77 walks in 133 games between Low-A and High-A. Psomas is in the baseball player class more so than the toolsy athlete class. He has a steady, professional approach to both hitting and fielding. He currently projects to be a reserve in the majors, but I would not be surprised to see him work his way into a starting third base job in time, ala Casey Blake.scouts view

One last thing if I'm the Marlins I start looking at teams with surplus of 2B and OF. Look at the Angels for 2B.... WS or Reds for OFers to fill those holes, if they get the right players to fit in LOOK OUT.

If in two years or maybe even next year we're going to be players in the free-agent market, then the deals are fine because we have an abundance of pitching to the point that you have to like the chances of 3 of them panning out to go along with Willis. If we're following the A's philosophy of building from within, then I think we probably should have been a little more selective in filling areas of need.

We have a bunch of pitching prospects now, and everyone has been talking about dealing some of them away for position players. I agree that it couldn't hurt to get some hitting in the midst of this radical face lift, but I like all the pitchers the Fish have received. If the Fish trade a Yusmeiro Petit or Gaby Hernandez, it would be hard to accept what we get in return...

Guest FlummoxedLummox

The thread title is misleading. I was really expecting God's opinion on this one.

:lol

TealShadow IS God. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

That's why he posts so infrequently, Lefty. He's always watching women undress. I mean what would you do if you were God?

Great breakdown, Teal Shadow! That's some solid analysis.

It's gonna be fun watching these guys develop over the next few seasons. Seemed like yesterday watching guys like Beckett, AJ, Penny, Castillo, Gonzalez, Lowell, and D-Lee go through a similar development after the first house-cleaning.

Provided the team doesn't sign anybody, I wouldn't be surprised if Bowyer was the main set-up guy or closer next year. Perhaps Sanchez or Petit can make this team as a #5 starter. The starting rotation is that wide open this year.

Shortstop, 2B, and CF are gonna be open auditions as well should the team not bring in any outside help. You could probably throw catcher in there, too. I wouldn't label Treanor a "slam dunk" by any stretch.

Should be exciting.