AJ Hawk Wins Lombardi Award

Passion

Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk has captured the 2005 Lombardi Award, given annually to the top lineman or linebacker in college football.

Hawk, a semifinalist for this award last year, led the Buckeyes in tackles in each of the last three seasons. The senior registered 60 solo tackles, 7.5 sacks, one interception and scored a touchdown this season.

He is the first Buckeye finalist since Andy Katzenmoyer in both 1997 and 1998, and the fifth OSU player to win the award.

Hawk joins former Buckeyes Jim Stillwagon, who won the inaugural award in 1970, John Hicks, who won in 1973, Chris Spielman, who won in 1987, and Orlando Pace, who is the only repeat winner in 1995 and 1996.

"The only reason I am here is because of the 10 guys I play around every day," said Hawk, who was the 36th winner of the Lombardi Award. "I play around some of the best players in college football and I think I just represent them. I'd like to thank the other finalists. Any of them could have won it. I appreciate it. It is a huge honor and I thank you."

Hawk beat out Louisville defensive end Elvis Dumervil, Texas defensive tackle Rod Wright and Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny for the award.

Georgia's David Pollack was the recipient of the Lombardi Award last year.

Ohio State will play Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl on January 2.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/cf...articleID=79809

Congrats AJ!

AJ Hawk just secured himself a top 10 pick.

he will be top 5

Best defensive player coming out this year.

Williams might be second, the CB

Ngata after that

But Hawk is the best coming out. I wish the fins could get him :(

If he didnt get it I could of understood Mario Williams getting it. But AJ is the best fit I think (and I hate Ohio state)

AJ Hawk just secured himself a top 10 pick.

he will be top 5

Best defensive player coming out this year.

Williams might be second, the CB

Ngata after that

But Hawk is the best coming out. I wish the fins could get him :(

If he didnt get it I could of understood Mario Williams getting it. But AJ is the best fit I think (and I hate Ohio state)

If Mario Williams comes out he is the best defensive player coming out and the first off the board, especially after he puts on a show at the combine.

Book it.