Tax Dollars For The Stadium

MarlinGuru

I was talking to some guy that is trying to get the government to raise the payroll for the state youth SWAT program and he said that in order to get it on the the ballot (in November?) that they needed to petition to get somewhere between 600,000-700,000 signatures to get it on the ballot.

Would people vote for something like a short-term half penny tax?

The Marlins are desperate for anything right now.

I would like to get people's insight on this.

I was talking to some guy that is trying to get the government to raise the payroll for the state youth SWAT program and he said that in order to get it on the the ballot (in November?) that they needed to petition to get somewhere between 600,000-700,000 signatures to get it on the ballot.

Would people vote for something like a short-term half penny tax?

The Marlins are desperate for anything right now.

I would like to get people's insight on this.

The reason Arriola was touting this every chance he had a week or so ago was because the city and county have already done a number of surveys and focus groups on this and know that it would never pass.

A vote to add to the sales tax would not pass here. In fact I think in most cities most wouldn't vote for it.

I have suggested to Samson that a users tax should be created. That is where just the fans of Marlins would pay an extra tax on their merchandise purchased at JRS. I think that is how the stadium is being funded for the Nationals.

I have no problem with, in fact I like the idea of a tax at the stadium on tickets, merchandise and consumption but don't fool yourselves into thinking this will by itself close the shortfall to finance a stadium.

At best it might generate a couple of million a year, but I'm not sure you could bond that out, it isn't a replacement for the guaranteed $$$ they had hoped the state would contribute.

You'd have to make payments on the bonds, which will need to be an accucrate market analysis of future use of the park and purchases made there to see what the city can put forth from this tax source. A ballpark in the middle of Huizenga's Happy Land or near downtown is obviously going to limit the amount stadium revenue that can be taxed. Plus, the state has already set the precedent of returning the sales tax revenue on tickets sold to all but two of the major league sports franchises in Florida... so who knows if the Marlins will agree to it although they did in part in the Orange Bowl proposals.