Nomar signs with the Dodgers

Guest Moneyball

Guest Moneyball

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Garciaparra agrees to one-year deal with Dodgers

ESPN.com news services

The Los Angeles Dodgers are slowly becoming the West Coast version of the Red Sox after Nomar Garciaparra agreed in principle to an incentive-laden one-year deal, ESPN's Peter Gammons confirmed.

Garciaparra, who still needs to take a physical and finalize contract details, will likely play first base for the Dodgers. The deal has a base salary of $6 million and could be worth as much as $8 million, the New York Post reported.

The Yankees, Astros and Indians were originally interested in Garciaparra but we're told by Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellum, of his choice to join the Dodgers.

Garciaparra played under recently hired Dodgers manager Grady Little in 2002-03 with the Boston Red Sox and was teammates with pitcher Derek Lowe and third baseman Bill Mueller in Boston. Lowe signed with Los Angeles last winter, and Mueller joined the Dodgers this week.

Garciaparra was considered one of baseball's best shortstops for several years while playing with the Red Sox, but his playing time was limited the past two seasons because of injuries. He was traded to the Chicago Cubs midway through the 2004 season.

A five-time All-Star with the Red Sox, Garciaparra hit .283 with nine homers and 30 RBI in 62 games for the Chicago Cubs last season, when he earned $8.25 million. He tore his left groin running out of the batter's box in St. Louis on April 20 and didn't return until Aug. 5.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

How Mr. .200 Average Away From Fenway got 6-8M with all the injury problems the last few years I don't know.

I think the Dodgers have taken the lead from the Yankees for more MLB-ready SSs.

Garciaparra

Izturis

Furcal

Once Izturis is back, I guess they move him to 2B, move Kent to 1B and put Garciaparra in LF. Being in LF might keep him from getting hurt too much.

I don't get this one, I really don't.

Over a full season, I think I'd rather have Choi at first than Nomar.

If I'm a right-handed hitter with average power signing a "prove yourself" one year deal (like Nomar) one of the last places I think of playing is Dodger Stadium.

Not to mention, the team already has 3 middle infielders (Izturis, Kent, Furcal).

At least they're becoming the West Coast Red Sox.

I don't get this one, I really don't.

Over a full season, I think I'd rather have Choi at first than Nomar.

If I'm a right-handed hitter with average power signing a "prove yourself" one year deal (like Nomar) one of the last places I think of playing is Dodger Stadium.

Not to mention, the team already has 3 middle infielders (Izturis, Kent, Furcal).

At least they're becoming the West Coast Red Sox.

Nomar isn't going to be playing middle inflied much so they don't need to worry about that. I don't know if Nomar is much of a pure power hitter than just a hitter in general. He played very well for the Cubs down the stretch but they didn't really have room for him.