Sources: Cubs nearing deal to trade Patterson to O's

MrAndMrsFish

On Sunday, the Baltimore Sun reported that the Orioles were no longer the favorites to acquire Corey Patterson from the Cubs. By Monday, that had changed.

According to multiple sources, the Cubs and Orioles were closing in Monday on a deal that would send the center fielder to Baltimore for two minor-leaguers, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported. The deal could be finalized later Monday.

Patterson, who became expendable when the Cubs acquired Juan Pierre from the Marlins on Dec. 7, hit .215 with 13 homers and 34 RBI in 2005. In six career seasons, all with the Cubs, Patterson has 70 homers and a .252 average.

Source

Guest markotsay7

I dont know how long you wait on a player with 'potential' and the Cubs made the best move they could do I believe. I just think he still has that chance to do something.. He just hasnt lived up to the high expectations. Sometime's that happens.. Doesnt mean he cant turn it around and be a nice player..

I'm still waiting on Todd Van Poppel and Brien Taylor.

Patterson has, for brief amounts of time in previos years, shown he has an ability to play in this league. The guy just never knew his role in 2004 and 2005 because the Cubs kept toying with him and trying to make hima leadoff hitter, which unfortunately he wasn't. If players never got second chances with a change of scenery, a lot of good players would have never happened. Sammy Sosa failed in two organizations before he burst out with the Cubs.