January 20, 200620 yr That was my problem with a federal sales tax, too. However, if you look at S. 25 (or H.R. 25 in the House), there is a bill that actually makes some sense for a national sales tax to replace the current system. Between both houses, it has over 50 co-sponsors. It give a sales tax pre-bate (paid at the beginning of each month) to the lower income groups to cover the sales taxes. They, for all intents, come completely off the tax rolls. Actually, everybody gets the prebate, so only those who consume above poverty level pay any taxes at all. It's not perfect, but very very good, the best I've seen, and immensely better than what we have now. Agreed, that one in particular was one I found pretty interesting. Keeps anyone below the poverty level off the tax completely. The plain old flat tax is not something I'd support but there are some good ideas out there.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.