Marlins call up Yourkin

Guest markotsay7

Guest markotsay7

I'm ashamed to say, I've never heard of the guy. Does anyone have good info on him? Can anyone find his spring AAA stats?

http://www.napavalleyregister.com/articles...b3735830065.txt

Matt Yourkin got a taste of major league baseball Wednesday.

The left-handed reliever and Napa resident was called up from the Florida Marlins? minor league camp and made the trip to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., with the big-league team for a spring training game against Baltimore.

Yourkin, a 1999 Napa High School graduate, didn?t pitch in the game against the Orioles.

?It was fun today, talking with the fans and talking to the kids,? he said. ?I was in their shoes at one time, so it was just really cool. I?m trying to do my best, and that?s all I can ask for.?

He was informed of the call-up by by Wayne Rosenthal, the Marlins? minor league pitching coordinator, Wednesday morning at minor league camp in Jupiter, Fla.

Yourkin is in his third year with the Marlins, who signed him as a free agent in 2003. He was in the minor league system last year, pitching at the Class A and AA levels. He has been at Triple-A in spring training this year.

?I?ve been pitching well with Triple-A, and then all of a sudden this morning I got a tap on the shoulder telling me I?m going to the big league side,? he said. ?It?s pretty exciting. It was fun to see the big-league guys that I?ve been seeing as a kid.?

There?s no timetable on how long the Marlins plan to keep Yourkin, 24, with their big league team. He?s been in camp since early March, but is not on the team?s 40-man roster.

?They said to be ready for anything, that it?s going to be a competitive year for everybody, and just be prepared,? he said Wednesday night.

At Napa, Yourkin lettered three years in baseball and two years in football. He was a two-year team captain and batted .388 with seven home runs in 1999. He was voted team MVP and named All-State as a senior. He was also a three-time All-Napa County selection and two-time All-Monticello Empire League pick. In addition, he was voted as Napa High?s Male Athlete of the Year.

Yourkin went on to play baseball ? both as a first baseman and pitcher ? at St. Mary?s College in Moraga.

?There?s just going to be a lot of opportunity right now,? he said. ?That?s the only thing that I can hope for, that hopefully I get a shot to pitch and show them that I can perform.

?My arm feels good, and that?s the only thing I can ask for right now in spring training. I?m just trying to do my best. I?m very fortunate that I got the call. I feel confident in my stuff. Hopefully I can keep it up.?

Yourkin worked out over the offseason with the Napa High baseball team.

?From my conversations with him, he?s having a great spring,? Napa coach Todd Pridy said. ?He?s a lefty that throws hard. He has a lot of potential, a lot of upside. His work ethic ? I?d challenge people to match it. He?s tunnel vision. He knows what he wants. Hopefully the stars line up for him. He?s a great individual.?

His appearance with the big league team may have been a reward for exemplary play on the minor league fields.

Sometimes giving a young player a "taste" like this may be impetus he needs to focus on what could be ahead for him if he continues to play well.

On the otherhand, perhaps he's the real deal and could turn out to be a sleeper who makes the team, but that probably not the case here or we would have heard more about him this spring.

I saw him pitch at the beginning of last season but can't remember too much other than being pretty impressed until finding out his age(24 then at low A).

I remember him having a really good looking slider I think. Threw it a lot...but I could be wrong...its been a while.

found this from my report from a game last year:

After Brandenburg went 6 innings, lefty Matt Yourkin came in and pitched very well. He breezed through the 7th and 8th. His fastball is a little quicker than Brandenburg's and I believe he touched 91 with it once or twice. Sorry I don't really have a full scouting report on him but he did impress.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.