Question

orlumeca

:hat i think it will.the reason i say that is because i have learned over the years that so.florida sports fans(although they are casual from time to time)respond to a teams committment.

when the marlins signed players like pudge and delgado,people bought tickets and came out to the ballpark.

when the heat signed shaq,people bought tickets and filled what was once a near empty AAAarena.

when the panthers were in the stanley cup in 96,remember the rubber rats they threw on the ice in response to a goal?

when the marlins and miami dade reach a deal,fans will see a commitment from the team and the local polititians.they wo'n sell out in every game,but loria will start to open his wallet again,and the fans will know that the marlins are here to stay.

Doesnt the decision of whether the team will relocate or not be made this year? What will your prediction be if the Marlins stay in South Florida, will the stadium attendance increase the rest of year what will be the reaction in South Florida?

It doesn't have to be, especially if they end up going somewhere that has an appropriate interim facility (with some expansion). But it will be. SA isn't going to sit around, and the Marlins have been consistent in that they want to make a decision as quickly as possible. With Portland and Charlotte out due to their unwillingness to invest in facilities, and MLB nixing Las Vegas, there aren't many choices to look at.

My guess is MLB ends up coming up with a method like the NFL to assist the construction of stadiums because it looks like that's the only way the Marlins will get a stadium anywhere. It'll up the operating costs of every team, but if it guarantees some financial assistance when they need a stadium, they might go for it.

Doesnt the decision of whether the team will relocate or not be made this year? What will your prediction be if the Marlins stay in South Florida, will the stadium attendance increase the rest of year what will be the reaction in South Florida?

The decision could take years. Just use the Expos moving out of Montreal as an example.

I don't think Huizenga's going to kick them out. He makes a sizable profit off them. Last I've heard he's relaxed on his threat in part because the Marlins were making some headway towards a new stadium that would rival his for non-sporting events.

There's also the possibility of playing a minor league park, San Juan or Monterey.

Nonetheless the Marlins, no matter who their owner is, aren't going to stay under Huizenga's lease forever. I think 2009 is the drop-dead date for a deal, more than for a grand opening.