Baseball America on Sanchez

The_Godfather

Baseball America went and checked out an Anibal Sanchez and had a nice little write up on him. Sure sounds like a future # 1.

Facing the Padres' No. 25 prospect, Sanchez threw back-to-back inside fastballs--hitting 94, then 95 and froze Macias on a 78 mph curve.

Sounds Beckett-ish

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...ews/261196.html

Daily Dish: May 4

By Baseball America Staff

One of the best pitching matchups in the minors on Wednesday was in our backyard in Zebulon, N.C., as Double-A Carolina righthander Anibal Sanchez went up against Mobile righthander Cesar Carrillo.

Neither was particularly sharp, however, but they showed flashes of brilliance at times--particularly Sanchez.

"He didn't have quite the movement on his fastball I had seen before early on, but he mixed his pitches pretty good," a scout from a National League organization said. "But I think with him, the most important thing I came away with was the toughness in some key game situations. That's the thing I was most impressed with.

"The stuff is very good--he got around on his curveball a few times, but he also threw it for strikes when he used it. And the changeup is a plus pitch for me."

Sanchez's fastball command varied in the early going, but his velocity sat in the 91-93 range, topping out at 95. One of those crucial situations came in the first inning, when the 22-year-old righthander had already given up a run. With Brett Bonvechio on first base and one out, Sanchez got Dustin Delucchi to hit a weak comebacker to the mound. He fired to second to get the lead runner, but the Mudcats were unable to turn the double play to get out of the inning.

Sanchez's velocity was in the 90-91 range up to that point, but he turned it up a notch against BayBears left fielder Drew Macias. Facing the Padres' No. 25 prospect, Sanchez threw back-to-back inside fastballs--hitting 94, then 95 and froze Macias on a 78 mph curve.

Sanchez finished with a no-decision, allowing three runs on seven hits. He struck out seven and walked two over five innings.

It was a similar story for Carrillo--at least in the early going.

After a leadoff walk that was followed by a fielding error by second baseman Luis Cruz, Mudcats first baseman Ryan Bear hit an RBI single and Mobile threw Bear--who took a wide turn on the throw home--out at first.

After an RBI ground out, and with Carolina up 2-1, Carrillo worked back-to-back 92 mph fastballs to Mudcats catcher Jonathan Aceves, then froze him with an 82 mph changeup.

But Carrillo wasn't locating well as the game moved along, and he wound up allowing four runs on seven hits in 5 1/3 innings. He struck out four and walked two--and allowed two home runs on the night.

"(He had) good deception on the changeup, but his arm speed varied here and there," the scout said. "I thought he used his curveball well at times, spotting it or bouncing it when he needed to. He didn't have very good command of his fastball, and left some pitches up in the zone. And at this level, these guys will sit dead-red on that pitch--they'll be coming out of their shoes."

--CHRIS KLINE

I'm concerned that he's 22 and at AA, that's it, really.

One of the best pitching matchups in the minors on Wednesday was in our backyard in Zebulon, N.C., as Double-A Carolina righthander Anibal Sanchez went up against Mobile righthander Cesar Carrillo.

Neither was particularly sharp, however, but they showed flashes of brilliance at times--particularly Sanchez.

"He didn't have quite the movement on his fastball I had seen before early on, but he mixed his pitches pretty good," a scout from a National League organization said. "But I think with him, the most important thing I came away with was the toughness in some key game situations. That's the thing I was most impressed with.

"The stuff is very good--he got around on his curveball a few times, but he also threw it for strikes when he used it. And the changeup is a plus pitch for me."

Sanchez's fastball command varied in the early going, but his velocity sat in the 91-93 range, topping out at 95. One of those crucial situations came in the first inning, when the 22-year-old righthander had already given up a run. With Brett Bonvechio on first base and one out, Sanchez got Dustin Delucchi to hit a weak comebacker to the mound. He fired to second to get the lead runner, but the Mudcats were unable to turn the double play to get out of the inning.

Sanchez's velocity was in the 90-91 range up to that point, but he turned it up a notch against BayBears left fielder Drew Macias. Facing the Padres' No. 25 prospect, Sanchez threw back-to-back inside fastballs--hitting 94, then 95 and froze Macias on a 78 mph curve.

Sanchez finished with a no-decision, allowing three runs on seven hits. He struck out seven and walked two over five innings.

After a leadoff walk that was followed by a fielding error by second baseman Luis Cruz, Mudcats first baseman Ryan Bear hit an RBI single and Mobile threw Bear--who took a wide turn on the throw home--out at first.

After an RBI ground out, and with Carolina up 2-1, Carrillo worked back-to-back 92 mph fastballs to Mudcats catcher Jonathan Aceves, then froze him with an 82 mph changeup.

But Carrillo wasn't locating well as the game moved along, and he wound up allowing four runs on seven hits in 5 1/3 innings. He struck out four and walked two--and allowed two home runs on the night.

"(He had) good deception on the changeup, but his arm speed varied here and there," the scout said. "I thought he used his curveball well at times, spotting it or bouncing it when he needed to. He didn't have very good command of his fastball, and left some pitches up in the zone. And at this level, these guys will sit dead-red on that pitch--they'll be coming out of their shoes."

--CHRIS KLINE

umm.....that is just fine for AA.

--CHRIS KLINE

Not to be a fast-track for the big-leagues as a #1, especially signed internationally as a 16 or 18 year old. He's still got talent, but maybe I'm expecting more "dominance" from him. 2-2, WHIP over 1 and about an average of 5 innings per start isn't what I'd be hoping for, given what we gave to get him...that's it.

--CHRIS KLINE

Not to be a fast-track for the big-leagues as a #1, especially signed internationally as a 16 or 18 year old. He's still got talent, but maybe I'm expecting more "dominance" from him. 2-2, WHIP over 1 and about an average of 5 innings per start isn't what I'd be hoping for, given what we gave to get him...that's it.

How many starting pitchers in baseball have a W.H.I.P below 1?

2-2 record? record is never important

Sanchez is most likely the #1 pitching prospect currently in the Southern League(95% sure) and a 1.22 WH.I.P, and 2.62 ERA and more K's than innings pitch is pretty impressive. Go check Olsen and Johnson # from last season.

I am not trying to call you out or anything but when you said Matt Kemp(21) was old for AA in one of your previous posts that kind of bothered me.

Also, I have no doubt that Sanchez can handle AAA but because of his shoulder tightness in spring training, and the fact that the Marlins triple A team has a VERY hitter friendly ballpark, why shake a guys confidence ? This guy will be in the Major leagues before AAA, and hopefully he never even sees AAA baseball.

I would have loved to have been at that game...or seen it. I wanted teh Marlins to draft Carrillo over Volstad. One poor start in the college world series let him slip to us, and I thought we should have grabbed him, but Volstad has looked good so far. Carrillo just appears to have a stronger arm.

I have to say though that I am disappointed that Sanchez is only throwing 90-93.

How many starting pitchers in baseball have a W.H.I.P below 1?

2-2 record? record is never important

Sanchez is most likely the #1 pitching prospect currently in the Southern League(95% sure) and a 1.22 WH.I.P, and 2.62 ERA and more K's than innings pitch is pretty impressive. Go check Olsen and Johnson # from last season.

I am not trying to call you out or anything but when you said Matt Kemp(21) was old for AA in one of your previous posts that kind of bothered me.

Well, in the spirit of the original post calling Sanchez "Beckett-ish" Beckett's career minor league WHIP was sub-1 and he was in the big-leagues at 21.

And I don't think I ever said Kemp was old for AA because this is his first year of AA, I was saying that he was held down with the Dodgers, spending a full-season at rookie-ball and then high-A.

--CHRIS KLINE

What? Thats perfect.

Sanchez is probably in AA because AAA is being used for out prospects clsoer to the majors or guys who have already been in the majors, and not neccesarily reflective of his talent. Pinto and Petit might just be a bit more polished, and in the case of the latter he has nothing left to prove at AA and needs higher competition levels, which is the real question with him

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.