The comics thread

Buckeye

Screw it, I'm not selling anything, but I'm going to hype the hell out of these sets, because I just got one and think they're the bomb.

Anyways, Marvel just put out all these box sets of their comics on DVD-Rom.

These things are just choice. You get every single issue for whatever date the cut-off point is from the very BEGINNING. That means you get over 485 Uncanny X-Men comics for lioke 50 bucks. Which is a pretty good deal considering you get the whole Lee/Kirby run and Claremont/Byrne, Claremont/Cockrum and Claremont/Lee runs on Uncanny X-Men.

The only that sucks is if you get Amazing Spider-Man or Uncanny X-Men you only get the issues of that comic. There's no Spectacular Spider-Man or New X-Men issues on there. So, if a story is continued in another comic, as they frequently were in the 90's, you might have to buy the trade paperback to get the whole story.

But still it seems like a damn good deal for anyone who wants to catch up. I myself own the Fantastic Four set and will soon own the X-Men set and they look nice. It runs in Adobe Acrobat 6.0 and though I'm sure that's not the preferred way to read comics, you can zoom in if you need to get a closer look. Also, each of these sets has the WHOLE comic, which includes all the ads and bullpens.

Maybe I'm just a nerd, but these things are pretty sweet for a pretty decent price.

Those are some pretty sweet sets, Buckeye. If DC ever put out one like that for Batman, I'd defintely consider picking it up. That's a great deal.

I never really got into comics, but when a couple of "graphic novels" were recommended to me by some friends, I decided to pick them up.

I have:

V for Vendetta (Wanted to read it before seeing the film)

Watchmen (Still reading)

Batman: The Long Halloween (Wanted to read it because BB2 is supposed to play heavily off of it; Havent read it yet)

Batman: Year One (Haven't read yet)

Batman: Dark Victory (Haven't read yet)

Batman: Haunted (Haven't read yet)

I thought they would just be silly little books, but I have actually grown to enjoy graphic novels just as much as I enjoy books, and definitely have a great deal of respect for the medium. In fact, V for Vendetta is one of my favorite literary works of all time.

Those are some pretty sweet sets, Buckeye. If DC ever put out one like that for Batman, I'd defintely consider picking it up. That's a great deal.

I never really got into comics, but when a couple of "graphic novels" were recommended to me by some friends, I decided to pick them up.

I have:

V for Vendetta (Wanted to read it before seeing the film)

Watchmen (Still reading)

Batman: The Long Halloween (Wanted to read it because BB2 is supposed to play heavily off of it; Havent read it yet)

Batman: Year One (Haven't read yet)

Batman: Dark Victory (Haven't read yet)

Batman: Haunted (Haven't read yet)

I thought they would just be silly little books, but I have actually grown to enjoy graphic novels just as much as I enjoy books, and definitely have a great deal of respect for the medium. In fact, V for Vendetta is one of my favorite literary works of all time.

Totally agree on the Batman front. If they did such with Batman and Detective comics I'd be on it.

V and Watchman are great books. I would go so far as to say that what Alan Moore does for comics is more akin to literature than anything else. It seems there's some movements that that's where comics are headed and a lot more writers are coming from a book author background.

I suggest reading Year One, Haunted, Long Halloween and Dark Victory in that order since they kind of take place that way chronologically (I hope I spelled that right).

Wait, I'm completely new to these....

So essentially they've scanned the entire run of the comic onto DVDs?? Holy crap, this is cool as hell.

So much for my christmas list... :o

But just for those individual issues. So, like I said, it's JUST Uncanny X-Men and the annuals, not X-Men, Magneto Rex, etc. If the issue you're reading from the 80's is continued in another mag you're screwed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.