Reds pitcher Brian Shackelford arrested

MrAndMrsFish

MILWAUKEE ? (AP) ? Cincinnati Reds pitcher Brian Shackelford was arrested early Thursday on suspicion of third-degree sexual assault.

The 29-year-old player was arrested shortly after midnight at Miller Park, where the Reds played the Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday night, police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz said

"It's an ongoing criminal investigation,'' she said, without giving further details.

Sgt. Michael Damian said Shackelford was still being held at the jail Thursday morning.

The Reds left town after the game and play in Atlanta on Thursday night. Shackelford, a left-handed reliever, pitched to one batter in the bottom of the 12th inning Wednesday, striking out Prince Fielder.

• 2 weeks later...

He was cleared of all charges today.

Shackelford statement:

?Today I am grateful and relieved that this issue can finally be put behind me. I have said from the beginning that the claims made against me were absolutely false and I am pleased that the District Attorney's office in Milwaukee, after careful review, agrees that there is no merit to these allegations. I want to thank the District Attorney's office and my attorney for working so hard to resolve this case quickly. I want to apologize to the Cincinnati Reds organization for any negative publicity this may have caused. I hope that any damage to my reputation from this unfortunate incident will not be long lasting, and that I can continue to work hard to help the Cincinnati Reds long into the future.