Mets sign Pena

Ramp

The Mets have agreed to terms with Francisco Pena, a 16-year-old catching prospect who is the son of Yankees first-base coach (and former All-Star catcher) Tony Pena. The younger Pena, who as a resident of the Dominican Republic was not subject to the draft, is expected to receive a bonus in the high-six-figure rage. Washington, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Florida and the Yankees also had interest in Pena, who has a strong arm and power potential

-NJ.com

MIAMI -- The Mets of New York signed Saturday to I prospect Dominican Francisco Rock, son of the old receiver and present coach of the Yankees, Tony Pe?a, informed to ESPNdeportes.com a respectable familiar source.

-ESPN deportes

This year's top targets include some big names, both in terms of length and in terms of big league name recognition. Dominican catcher Francisco Pena has received the most attention, as the youngest son of former big leaguer Tony Pena, now a coach with the Yankees. Pena has been pursued by teams such as the Yankees, Mets, Nationals and Reds, and rumors swirled that he was expected to sign for a bonus as large as $2 million. At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, Pena has power and arm strength behind the plate, like his father. He's not considered as athletic as his dad or brother, Tony Pena Jr., now a shortstop in the Braves system.

One international scouting director termed Pena's body as "heavy and thick." Marlins catcher Miguel Olivo, who knows the Pena family well, told the Kansas City Star in a recent interview that Pena "throws almost as well as me, and he has good size. I knew from seeing him he would be a professional. Tony Pena has baseball in his blood, and his kids are the same."

-Baseball America

If he compares to Olivo, no thanks anyway. If he had the potential to be better(while not hard at all), then I am very upset.

Yeah your right. Olivo is just flat out horrible and is in the middle of a really bad offensive stretch.

:thumbup

We wouldnt want anyone like him......