here comes the 2nd half of baseball...

mctw3nty2t3n

with the marlins finishing around my expectations for the first half, where do you think they will end up in by october..

-first off...do you see the marlins buying or selling this year

-second, the nl is awful this year. with the nl wild card teams as bad as they are we have better chances at the playoffs

-third, will these kids b to tired to compete come to september?

I see the Marlins as sellers this year, i think they will deal Herges/Borowski to get their future CF. True the nlwild card is open for the taking but i believe the young rotation is going to hit a wall, and thats ok because next year and '08 are theres for the taking, with all the young Arms on this staff you have to be careful not to blow them out a la Kerry Wood/Mark Prior, i think the marlins will win 70+ this year and thats excellent for a team that was expected to loose well over 100.

I see the Marlins as sellers this year, i think they will deal Herges/Borowski to get their future CF. True the nlwild card is open for the taking but i believe the young rotation is going to hit a wall, and thats ok because next year and '08 are theres for the taking, with all the young Arms on this staff you have to be careful not to blow them out a la Kerry Wood/Mark Prior, i think the marlins will win 70+ this year and thats excellent for a team that was expected to loose well over 100.

if/when we trade herges and borowski, i dont think that really means we are sellers though...i mean...yeah...we shipped out veterns for a young player...and ordinarily that would =seller...but the marlins are different...they dont rebuild, they reload...take a step back to take 3 steps forward...i mean does anyone really think that without herges and borowski we would win less games? i dont...so basically i think we stay pretty quiet before the deadline, the deadline might produce something crazy, but i doubt it, maybe a waiver wire deal but i pretty much expect the current roster to be the same until the offseason

1. selling-as much as i'd like them to be buyers, i doubt it happens. highly doubt. herges and borowski will go bye-bye.

2. we do have a better chance at the WC. we're gonna have to play well and d-train needs to be going full throttle.

3. doubt it, if this was the royals, a team with a bunch of veterans, i'd say yes. but these are a bunch of rookies and they'll have a lot more energy than the vets.

I think the buyers or sellers question is still up in the air and the answer depends on how we play as we approach 7/31. It wouldn't surprise me if the team, as it is comprised right now, ends up anywhere between 64 and 81 wins. There's a 17 game gap in my prediction because to me it's VERY difficult to predict how young pitchers will develop and most of our starters are rookies. If we add a good hitting CF my prediction totals would be bumped up 3 or 4 games and 84 or 85 wins may well be enough to win the WC.

I'm sticking with my prediction of standing pat. Unless of course some kind of deal that is just too good to believe. Stranger things have happened but I just don't see it. I really don't think we have a legitimate shot at the WC because of our youth and they aren't used to playing this long a season. The conditioning just isn't there. If the team does well then I would expect some off season moves to shore up the holes. With or without the ball park deal done. One reason is because they will want to head off the expected drop in season ticket sales next year. This year's was a bit inflated because of the reason we had to renew our packages for this year just to be assured our seats if we made the playoffs last year. Non-refundable, of course.

Why would Loria break his season long plan and actually spend $$$? Because we are packing the place?? Because we have shown him we care about baseball in South Florida?? Just dosen't make sense to be buyers or sellers.

As much as I would love to see the Marlins make the playoffs, I just don't see it happening. We are too young and too inexperienced when it comes to that. Most of these guys have never played 162 games, so that is definately going to take a toll on them, especially our young guns like Olsen or Johnson. However, when it comes to the trading deadline...I would hope the Marlins at least make an attempt to secure a future CF but not by giving up our young stars. I keep reading in other threads that we should try and get Crawford, which would cost us too much. We need to keep our young team together so that by the time the stadium issue is resolved, Loria can bump up the payroll again and get some proven veterans to go along with this talented young team. All in all, this trade deadline, we should look and trade for the future instead of trying to make the wild card, which is a long shot.