The Marlins record by the trade deadline?

youve got 7 more games on the marlins homestand against the nationals(3) and the pirates(4). then a day off and the team heads to atlanta to face the braves for 3 games and then the phillies for 4 games in 3 days which brings the team to the trade deadline on monday where the face the phillies in game 5(the final game of the series).i c the fishs record being 49-55(40-50 as of july 16th).

Questions

1. will the marlins be 5 games within first place of the wild card

2. what do you think the marlins record will be

3. with the record that you give them will the front office choose to "buy or sell"

1. It's possible. The Nationals played us tough last time. The Pirates always do. We no longer dominate the Phillies as we used to, but are still good against them, and we have shown that we can now beat the Braves.

2. No guess.

3. Neither buyers or sellers, just moving a few veterans to get a young player or two but nothing major.

6 back in the loss column, 9 teams to leapfrog, including the entire NL West.

I think the team'd pretty much have to run the table or drop 1 or 2 games to be "in it" (fewer than 5 games back, no more than 3 or 4 teams to jump).

There isn't much to sell, and unless a centerfielder under control beyond this season falls into our lap, I don't see us going out of our way to buy.

I will say this, it is unquestionably a seller's market this year, so if Dontrelle has to be moved in the near future, I hope it happens now, and I also hope Beinfest does his due diligence to find a reasonable match for Borowski, Herges, Helms and even Messenger if such an amazing prospect is dangled.

Really, I think the line has to be drawn at the entire infield, Hermida, Olsen, Johnson, Sanchez and Willis (unless Dontrelle is going to have to be moved per Loria's orders later). Other than that, I'd field offers for the other 15 guys on the roster, while knowing that Helms and a few bullpen arms are really the only ones out there that'll probably discussed, with even fewer being moved.

PS, I think 88 wins assures you the Wild Card this season, and we're currently on pace for 71 wins, so it's not as if I'm advocating on giving up on a team that can run the table with minor tweakings; the first two months really dug us a hole and any efforts from here on in have to be with 2007 in mind.

Id throw Hammer into your "untouchables".... he is just too cheap for this team to even consider moving

same can be said for Kensing, Messenger and Tank.... although if I had to move Messenger in another deal to get a real nice CF, Id do it

Id throw Hammer into your "untouchables".... he is just too cheap for this team to even consider moving

same can be said for Kensing, Messenger and Tank.... although if I had to move Messenger in another deal to get a real nice CF, Id do it

In this market right now, I'd move anyone in the 'pen. No joking.

And, really, the essence of my non-untouchables was I'd move them to make the team better, whereas with guys like Willis and Cabrera, one for one, you'll never get equal value in return so it's hard to say moving them would go a long way to make this team better. I'm not advocating shopping Willingham, but I think he has value to other teams, is replaced more easily than other players, and could be used to upgrade centerfield.

I mean, just dealing in hypotheticals, if we were to move Willingham and two or three pitching prospects for a guy like Carl Crawford, would we be a worse team with Helms/Millar/Conine (or any other veteran like these three who's available every offseason) and Crawford in the outfield? I don't think you can make the case that Willingham unquestionably holds more value to the team than he can return in trade, because replacing his production on a year to year basis with a veteran wouldn't prove exceptionally costly, nor does he appear to have as long of a future as someone like Hermida, Ramirez or Cabrera.

Doesn't mean I want to give him away though...

I don't know if we will be within 5 games at the deadline, but I think we'll be very close by mid-September.

I expect us to be somewhere between 48-56 and 51-53 at the trade deadline. The Nationals played us well in DC and the Pirates have been good gaginst Florida in history. But we took 2 of 3 when we were struggling up there and we should be able to take 3/4 from them(they are the worst team in baseball this year). Atlanta and Philly have very similar records to us and those series could be interesting, but we need to go 10-4 to 12-4 to be competitive at the deadline.

The Marlins are not buyers or sellers, but they should look at some trades for a centerfielder. Getting Crawford would be big and could bring them over the top, I would give up Willingham and a couple of pitching prospects to get him. Selling a releiver isn't too bad either.

youve got 7 more games on the marlins homestand against the nationals(3) and the pirates(4). then a day off and the team heads to atlanta to face the braves for 3 games and then the phillies for 4 games in 3 days which brings the team to the trade deadline on monday where the face the phillies in game 5(the final game of the series).i c the fishs record being 49-55(40-50 as of july 16th).

Questions

1. will the marlins be 5 games within first place of the wild card

2. what do you think the marlins record will be

3. with the record that you give them will the front office choose to "buy or sell"

3-0 vs Nats; 3-1 vs Pirates; 2-1 vs Braves; 2-2 vs Phils

10-4 to finish up July. That would put us at 50-54, not too bad. IT's more realistic than my 12-2 bid (3-0 vs Nats; 3-1 vs Pirates; 3-0 vs Braves; 3-1 vs Phils)

I think Hammer is very touchable although I don't think there will be much interest in him. Teams looking to make a run at it are needy for pen help. I have been saying all along that I thought the team would stay put unless something totally in our favor happens along. I can see some teams giving up a great prospect or 2 for Borowski right now.

I see us being around 5 to 6 under at the deadline.

We will end up selling off herges + Borowski + something else I bet for some more youth to use next year. I dont see us moving willis or any of our bigger named youth in truth. I dont think they will move willis till after they get a stadium deal.