Carl Everett Designated for Assignment

Passion

The Mariners designated Carl Everett for assignment today, meaning they have 10 days to trade or release the designated hitter.

The team recalled outfielder Chris Snelling from its Class AAA Tacoma to his spot on the 25-man roster.

Snelling, 23, is hitting .247 with 30 runs, 12 doubles, 4 home runs, 4 stolen bases and 34 RBI in 52 games with Tacoma this season. Snelling began the season on the disabled list recovering from ACL surgery on his left knee, then joined Tacoma on injury rehab May 10. He was activated from disabled list, and optioned to Tacoma, on May 20. Snelling played for the Mariners in 2002 and 2005 with a combined .214 average.

Snelling will be in uniform for tonight's 7:05 p.m. game versus the Toronto Blue Jays.

"Our primary focus is to win games right now," said general manager Bill Bavasi. "We are a better team today with Eddie Perez, Greg Dobbs and Chris getting more at-bats in the DH spot. In addition, today's move does not preclude us from continuing to look for more offense in the trade market."

Everett, 35, was signed as a free-agent by Seattle on Dec. 15, 2005. He appeared in 92 games with the Mariners hitting .227 with 11 home runs and 33 RBI. Everett was hitting .259 with 7 home runs and 24 RBI thru the end of May, but has hit just .179 since with 4 HR and 9 RBI. A switch hitter, he hit .203 batting right-handed and .234 left-handed.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mari...beverett26.html

wouldn't mind picking him up..but i don't think he could help us much. his career is declining..

Umm, he's a 35 year old DH that's hitting .220. Why would you possibly want to pick him up?

he used to be one of my favorite players...how did he do last year with the chisox?

wouldn't mind picking him up..but i don't think he could help us much. his career is declining..

Umm, he's a 35 year old DH that's hitting .220. Why would you possibly want to pick him up?

he used to be one of my favorite players...how did he do last year with the chisox?

He did ok. He hasn't really been good since he left Boston. Probably was on roids.

How could he be one of your favorite players? He played like 20 games with the Fish.

i don't even remember his days with the fish...i just liked him when he played for boston..