Panthers Re-Sign Van Ryn

fauowls44

HOLY CRAP WHAT A STEAL:

The Florida Panthers have one less thing to worry about today.

Defenseman Mike Van Ryn and the team agreed to a four-year deal Friday morning, making moot an arbitration hearing that was set for Aug. 2. Van Ryn, who recently got married, would have been an unrestricted free agent after next season.

Van Ryn's contract is worth $11.7 million, with him taking in $1.7 million in the first season.

''I'm extremely excited about all of this,'' Van Ryn said. ``I just don't know what to say. But I am very happy to be part of this organization and remain in South Florida. This really means a lot.''

Van Ryn, a 27-year-old University of Michigan grad, had his best all-around season in 2005-06. While his eight goals were five shy of his career best set in 2003-04, Van Ryn brought his plus/minus rating up from a minus-16 to a plus-15.

Florida also agreed to a one-year contract with defenseman Ric Jackman for $800,000, meaning the Panthers are done with arbitration and have likely set their roster for the upcoming training camp.

''Take the rest of the summer off,'' GM Mike Keenan joked to the local media Friday afternoon.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/15146573.htm

And Ric Jackman signed too for $800,000