Does Giradi look at/use stats ?

The_Godfather

Why in the hell did Giradi not leave Willis in to bat against Looper ? LaRussa probably brings out the LHP, in which case you put in Cody Ross for the advantage. If Willis has to bat, he still is a better hitter against a righty than Cody Ross. Some simple stats I wish Giradi would have thought about -

Lefties are batting .329 against Looper, righties .243.

Cody Ross vs RHP has a .216 BA , Dontrelle Willis in his career against RHP has a BA of .262.

BTW, those saying in the game threads that we needed a RHP to pitch against Rolen/Pujols which is why we went with Sergio Mitre instead of Willis or Tank, both Pujols and Rolen have a higher OPS against righties than lefties.

I know the game moves fast and yes I do have the benefits of ESPN.com to look at stats, but even before I looked at the numbers, I thought Willis should have stayed in. Just wish Giradi would consult his stat book now and then...

Why in the hell did Giradi not leave Willis in to bat against Looper ? LaRussa probably brings out the LHP, in which case you put in Cody Ross for the advantage. If Willis has to bat, he still is a better hitter against a righty than Cody Ross. Some simple stats I wish Giradi would have thought about -

Cody Ross vs RHP has a .216 BA , Dontrelle Willis in his career against RHP has a BA of .262.

BTW, those saying in the game threads that we needed a RHP to pitch against Rolen/Pujols which is why we went with Sergio Mitre instead of Willis or Tank, both Pujols and Rolen have a higher OPS against righties than lefties.

I know the game moves fast and yes I do have the benefits of ESPN.com to look at stats, but even before I looked at the numbers, I thought Willis should have stayed in. Just wish Giradi would consult his stat book now and then...

Tank's WHIP vs righties is terrible (1.84) while Mitre's WHIP vs righties is pretty good (.98). I'll bet that had something to do with why Girardi went with Mitre.

Tank's WHIP vs righties is terrible (1.84) while Mitre's WHIP vs righties is pretty good (.98). I'll bet that had something to do with why Girardi went with Mitre.

Why? We were just talking about Joe not using stats, so when its in his favor, he does?

i doubt an old-school guy like girardi even knows what whip is.

My problem is not so much about Giradi using Mitre instead of Tank. I can see the argument for that.

I don't get using Ross as the Pinch hitter though against a righty when you could have A. Stayed with Dontrelle and the hot pitcher to pitch the 8th in a one run game, or B. Use Hermida as bait to get the lefty to pitch to Ross.

Last time Joe left Willis in there with the bases loaded and Willlis grounded out everyone ripped Joe for keeping him in there...

Not really. Most people on here defended Giradi on that because Dontrelle was the only one hitting the ball hard that game. I might be thinking of the wrong game though ?

I think it was against L.A. in L.A. if im not mistaken...

Last time Joe left Willis in there with the bases loaded and Willlis grounded out everyone ripped Joe for keeping him in there...

Not really. Most people on here defended Giradi on that because Dontrelle was the only one hitting the ball hard that game. I might be thinking of the wrong game though ?

but last time Willis escaped in LA, and Helms was on the bench

this time Willis looked sharp and it was Ross instead

but last time Willis escaped in LA, and Helms was on the bench

this time Willis looked sharp and it was Ross instead

We did end up losing the game...

Either way I would have sent a pinch hitter no doubt...

My problem is not so much about Giradi using Mitre instead of Tank. I can see the argument for that.

I don't get using Ross as the Pinch hitter though against a righty when you could have A. Stayed with Dontrelle and the hot pitcher to pitch the 8th in a one run game, or B. Use Hermida as bait to get the lefty to pitch to Ross.

I agree 100% on the Hermida thing.

Looking back at Mitre's 3 previous outings.. they were all in the 8th inning:

- came in a tie game

- came in to protect a 1 run lead

- came in to protect a 2 run lead

He didn't allow any runs. I'll bet noone complained about Mitre over Tank in those 3 games.