Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does Giradi look at/use stats ?

Featured Replies

Why in the hell did Giradi not leave Willis in to bat against Looper ? LaRussa probably brings out the LHP, in which case you put in Cody Ross for the advantage. If Willis has to bat, he still is a better hitter against a righty than Cody Ross. Some simple stats I wish Giradi would have thought about -

 

Lefties are batting .329 against Looper, righties .243.

 

Cody Ross vs RHP has a .216 BA , Dontrelle Willis in his career against RHP has a BA of .262.

 

BTW, those saying in the game threads that we needed a RHP to pitch against Rolen/Pujols which is why we went with Sergio Mitre instead of Willis or Tank, both Pujols and Rolen have a higher OPS against righties than lefties.

 

I know the game moves fast and yes I do have the benefits of ESPN.com to look at stats, but even before I looked at the numbers, I thought Willis should have stayed in. Just wish Giradi would consult his stat book now and then...

I said during the thread I'd have baited with Hermida (if he stuck with Looper, better chance for a walk).

 

And not using Tank is inexcusable, have to shoot the best bullet. Tank's done nothing to lose the 8th inning job he had before, anyway.

I said during the thread I'd have baited with Hermida (if he stuck with Looper, better chance for a walk).

 

And not using Tank is inexcusable, have to shoot the best bullet. Tank's done nothing to lose the 8th inning job he had before, anyway.

 

Amen to that. If you get beat, get beat with your best.

Why in the hell did Giradi not leave Willis in to bat against Looper ? LaRussa probably brings out the LHP, in which case you put in Cody Ross for the advantage. If Willis has to bat, he still is a better hitter against a righty than Cody Ross. Some simple stats I wish Giradi would have thought about -

 

Lefties are batting .329 against Looper, righties .243.

 

Cody Ross vs RHP has a .216 BA , Dontrelle Willis in his career against RHP has a BA of .262.

 

BTW, those saying in the game threads that we needed a RHP to pitch against Rolen/Pujols which is why we went with Sergio Mitre instead of Willis or Tank, both Pujols and Rolen have a higher OPS against righties than lefties.

 

I know the game moves fast and yes I do have the benefits of ESPN.com to look at stats, but even before I looked at the numbers, I thought Willis should have stayed in. Just wish Giradi would consult his stat book now and then...

 

Tank's WHIP vs righties is terrible (1.84) while Mitre's WHIP vs righties is pretty good (.98). I'll bet that had something to do with why Girardi went with Mitre.

Why in the hell did Giradi not leave Willis in to bat against Looper ? LaRussa probably brings out the LHP, in which case you put in Cody Ross for the advantage. If Willis has to bat, he still is a better hitter against a righty than Cody Ross. Some simple stats I wish Giradi would have thought about -

 

Lefties are batting .329 against Looper, righties .243.

 

Cody Ross vs RHP has a .216 BA , Dontrelle Willis in his career against RHP has a BA of .262.

 

BTW, those saying in the game threads that we needed a RHP to pitch against Rolen/Pujols which is why we went with Sergio Mitre instead of Willis or Tank, both Pujols and Rolen have a higher OPS against righties than lefties.

 

I know the game moves fast and yes I do have the benefits of ESPN.com to look at stats, but even before I looked at the numbers, I thought Willis should have stayed in. Just wish Giradi would consult his stat book now and then...

 

Tank's WHIP vs righties is terrible (1.84) while Mitre's WHIP vs righties is pretty good (.98). I'll bet that had something to do with why Girardi went with Mitre.

 

Why? We were just talking about Joe not using stats, so when its in his favor, he does?

Why in the hell did Giradi not leave Willis in to bat against Looper ? LaRussa probably brings out the LHP, in which case you put in Cody Ross for the advantage. If Willis has to bat, he still is a better hitter against a righty than Cody Ross. Some simple stats I wish Giradi would have thought about -

 

Lefties are batting .329 against Looper, righties .243.

 

Cody Ross vs RHP has a .216 BA , Dontrelle Willis in his career against RHP has a BA of .262.

 

BTW, those saying in the game threads that we needed a RHP to pitch against Rolen/Pujols which is why we went with Sergio Mitre instead of Willis or Tank, both Pujols and Rolen have a higher OPS against righties than lefties.

 

I know the game moves fast and yes I do have the benefits of ESPN.com to look at stats, but even before I looked at the numbers, I thought Willis should have stayed in. Just wish Giradi would consult his stat book now and then...

 

Tank's WHIP vs righties is terrible (1.84) while Mitre's WHIP vs righties is pretty good (.98). I'll bet that had something to do with why Girardi went with Mitre.

 

i doubt an old-school guy like girardi even knows what whip is.

  • Author

Why in the hell did Giradi not leave Willis in to bat against Looper ? LaRussa probably brings out the LHP, in which case you put in Cody Ross for the advantage. If Willis has to bat, he still is a better hitter against a righty than Cody Ross. Some simple stats I wish Giradi would have thought about -

 

Lefties are batting .329 against Looper, righties .243.

 

Cody Ross vs RHP has a .216 BA , Dontrelle Willis in his career against RHP has a BA of .262.

 

BTW, those saying in the game threads that we needed a RHP to pitch against Rolen/Pujols which is why we went with Sergio Mitre instead of Willis or Tank, both Pujols and Rolen have a higher OPS against righties than lefties.

 

I know the game moves fast and yes I do have the benefits of ESPN.com to look at stats, but even before I looked at the numbers, I thought Willis should have stayed in. Just wish Giradi would consult his stat book now and then...

 

Tank's WHIP vs righties is terrible (1.84) while Mitre's WHIP vs righties is pretty good (.98). I'll bet that had something to do with why Girardi went with Mitre.

 

My problem is not so much about Giradi using Mitre instead of Tank. I can see the argument for that.

 

I don't get using Ross as the Pinch hitter though against a righty when you could have A. Stayed with Dontrelle and the hot pitcher to pitch the 8th in a one run game, or B. Use Hermida as bait to get the lefty to pitch to Ross.

Last time Joe left Willis in there with the bases loaded and Willlis grounded out everyone ripped Joe for keeping him in there...

 

GIVE ME A BREAK! Flip-flop... Ross was the right person up there... Whoever blames this lost on JOE doesnt know baseball

  • Author

Last time Joe left Willis in there with the bases loaded and Willlis grounded out everyone ripped Joe for keeping him in there...

 

 

 

 

Not really. Most people on here defended Giradi on that because Dontrelle was the only one hitting the ball hard that game. I might be thinking of the wrong game though ?

Last time Joe left Willis in there with the bases loaded and Willlis grounded out everyone ripped Joe for keeping him in there...

 

 

 

 

Not really. Most people on here defended Giradi on that because Dontrelle was the only one hitting the ball hard that game. I might be thinking of the wrong game though ?

 

I think it was against L.A. in L.A. if im not mistaken...

Last time Joe left Willis in there with the bases loaded and Willlis grounded out everyone ripped Joe for keeping him in there...

 

 

 

 

Not really. Most people on here defended Giradi on that because Dontrelle was the only one hitting the ball hard that game. I might be thinking of the wrong game though ?

 

I think it was against L.A. in L.A. if im not mistaken...

but last time Willis escaped in LA, and Helms was on the bench

 

this time Willis looked sharp and it was Ross instead

Last time Joe left Willis in there with the bases loaded and Willlis grounded out everyone ripped Joe for keeping him in there...

 

 

 

 

Not really. Most people on here defended Giradi on that because Dontrelle was the only one hitting the ball hard that game. I might be thinking of the wrong game though ?

 

I think it was against L.A. in L.A. if im not mistaken...

but last time Willis escaped in LA, and Helms was on the bench

 

this time Willis looked sharp and it was Ross instead

 

We did end up losing the game...

 

Either way I would have sent a pinch hitter no doubt...

Why in the hell did Giradi not leave Willis in to bat against Looper ? LaRussa probably brings out the LHP, in which case you put in Cody Ross for the advantage. If Willis has to bat, he still is a better hitter against a righty than Cody Ross. Some simple stats I wish Giradi would have thought about -

 

Lefties are batting .329 against Looper, righties .243.

 

Cody Ross vs RHP has a .216 BA , Dontrelle Willis in his career against RHP has a BA of .262.

 

BTW, those saying in the game threads that we needed a RHP to pitch against Rolen/Pujols which is why we went with Sergio Mitre instead of Willis or Tank, both Pujols and Rolen have a higher OPS against righties than lefties.

 

I know the game moves fast and yes I do have the benefits of ESPN.com to look at stats, but even before I looked at the numbers, I thought Willis should have stayed in. Just wish Giradi would consult his stat book now and then...

 

Tank's WHIP vs righties is terrible (1.84) while Mitre's WHIP vs righties is pretty good (.98). I'll bet that had something to do with why Girardi went with Mitre.

 

My problem is not so much about Giradi using Mitre instead of Tank. I can see the argument for that.

 

I don't get using Ross as the Pinch hitter though against a righty when you could have A. Stayed with Dontrelle and the hot pitcher to pitch the 8th in a one run game, or B. Use Hermida as bait to get the lefty to pitch to Ross.

I agree 100% on the Hermida thing.

 

Looking back at Mitre's 3 previous outings.. they were all in the 8th inning:

 

- came in a tie game

- came in to protect a 1 run lead

- came in to protect a 2 run lead

 

He didn't allow any runs. I'll bet noone complained about Mitre over Tank in those 3 games.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.