Which pres-season pundits were the most wrong ?

marlinz_fan

My biggest mistake of the season would have to be Reggie. Watching his work ethic and bat in ST had me pulling hard for him. Really a let down. Big time. Of course Stokes was my "surprise player of the year." That panned out real well too. LOL

But I will say that after watching the catcher race in ST I did peg Olivo and figured he would have a pretty good season. Others wanted to trade him for "a Pepsi and a bag of chips" and said he was nothing but a career back up catcher at best. Of course that was the same person that thought it best to put Stokes at 1B and Jacobs at catcher. Go figure.

Same could be said about Uggla after watching hin in Spring. I said his glove was better than we had been told and his bat would be fine. I was then promptly called nothing better than an infomercial for the team and Danny would be replaced by Andino by July at the latest. I think the words were "a career minor leaguer that dosen't deserve a MLB position."

I don't make record predictions. I only predicted an exciting season with the team being alot better in the 2nd half. They surprised me with that June surge.

Yeah...I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off on Reggie. Way off.

But:

7-8 might be utter crap, a black hole where runs go to die.

That sounds exactly like Gonzalez, Lowell, and for stretches Encarnacion.

Offense will be fine, I'm much more interested in how the bullpen does when the games are actually on the line.

I knew the offense would be good. :D

Take it even farther. How about what posters were saying before the season and into April. I really remember some way off remarks by posters here and other boards at that time. Might be funny to see what they now think of those remarks as well.

I thought Dan Uggla was barely going to hit .220 and be the worst defensive 2B in baseball. I also thought it was a good idea to move johnson or nolasco for gathright because he'd be a solid .270/.335/.400 type speedster outfielder right away.

Whoops.

Also thought Hermida would have a huge year, but I think all of us get a break on that one because of the injuries. He'll be huge in 07.

But:

7-8 might be utter crap, a black hole where runs go to die.

That sounds exactly like Gonzalez, Lowell, and for stretches Encarnacion.

Offense will be fine, I'm much more interested in how the bullpen does when the games are actually on the line.

I knew the offense would be good. :D

Good is an overstatement, the offense is middle of the pack. If CF wasn't a black hole of despair it would have been a very good offense. And I think everyone was worried about the clown shoes bullpen.

Take it even farther. How about what posters were saying before the season and into April. I really remember some way off remarks by posters here and other boards at that time. Might be funny to see what they now think of those remarks as well.

I thought Dan Uggla was barely going to hit .220 and be the worst defensive 2B in baseball. I also thought it was a good idea to move johnson or nolasco for gathright because he'd be a solid .270/.335/.400 type speedster outfielder right away.

Whoops.

Also thought Hermida would have a huge year, but I think all of us get a break on that one because of the injuries. He'll be huge in 07.

Never did fall for all the Jeremy hype. IMO everyone was all googly-eyed over him mainly because he hit that granny in his first AB. But the guy couldn't stay healthy last year in that limited amount of time. And alot of folks wanted him to be our CFer this year. He had to prove to me he could stay healthy for more than 5 or 6 weeks at a time before I would get all excited. He still hasn't done that.

This ST was really a time for us to attempt to judge our new team. And it can be so hard to do that with even the SPs of all teams working on new pitches or polishing some other stuff. But Reggie was looking so good. Someone asked me if maybe he was another Abraham Nunez (different Abe than the Phillies Abe) we had here a couple years back, great in ST but sucked in regular season. I really didn't think so. He was swinging at some things he shouldn't but he was pretty much zeroed in on the regular SP. And he covered alot of ground proficiently, something that is needed at Joe Robbie. What a let down.

People that don't go to ST games and try to slam players just because of previous stats get slammed themselves alot of the time. Laughable when they are calling you names and pushing stats in your face. No way can they see the heart and determination a player shows just by looking at their stats. And especially rookies. I really wish they would have more ST games after 5 or 6 PM. Those 1:00 games are just too difficult to make during the week. I curse those little things in life that keep me from more than the 5 or 6 games I can make in Spring. Things like a mortageg, insurances (wow did our home insurance go up this year LOL) and those other pesky bills. My job really interferes with my personal life waaayyyy too much.

Never did fall for all the Jeremy hype. IMO everyone was all googly-eyed over him mainly because he hit that granny in his first AB. But the guy couldn't stay healthy last year in that limited amount of time. And alot of folks wanted him to be our CFer this year. He had to prove to me he could stay healthy for more than 5 or 6 weeks at a time before I would get all excited. He still hasn't done that.

I don't care about the grand slam.

I care about that .975 OPS as a 21 year old in AA. He'll be Brian Giles when he's 25. Not worried about him. Very dissapointing season though.

I care about that .975 OPS as a 21 year old in AA. He'll be Brian Giles when he's 25. Not worried about him. Very dissapointing season though.

bingo...

that grand slam didnt change anything for me

I curse those little things in life that keep me from more than the 5 or 6 games I can make in Spring. Things like a mortageg, insurances (wow did our home insurance go up this year LOL) and those other pesky bills. My job really interferes with my personal life waaayyyy too much.

I say that at least once a day Monday through Friday! If not for that pesky job thing and those bills I would have lots more time to devote to the baseball addiction. And yes, those soaring insurance costs are a real freakin' damper!

bingo...

that grand slam didnt change anything for me

I think you 2 (and me) were in the minority on that granny. That's all I heard about during FanFest and ST this past year. And stats in the minors are something I don't pay much attention to. I want to see how a guy acts at the plate and in the field in person at this level.

I believe Jeremy has the potential. But he has got to do some serious off season work. Take a month or so off and then start some type of extreme conditioning program. He has got to get himself past that "fragile" tag that I put on him. Good start would be to work on leg strength.

I curse those little things in life that keep me from more than the 5 or 6 games I can make in Spring. Things like a mortageg, insurances (wow did our home insurance go up this year LOL) and those other pesky bills. My job really interferes with my personal life waaayyyy too much.

I say that at least once a day Monday through Friday! If not for that pesky job thing and those bills I would have lots more time to devote to the baseball addiction. And yes, those soaring insurance costs are a real freakin' damper!

We actually were thinking of buying a particular house in upstate NY, north east of Syracuse. Almost 3 times the size of our current one on about 10 acres of land priced at only around $20K more than the one we have now. Absolutely georgous home. Insurance was so much cheaper there too. But the taxes!!! Over 5 times our current taxes. Not to mention higher sales tax, state income tax, etc... And of course there is always that head high snow they have to deal with. LOL

Point is, there is no Eden. We are not going any where.