SoFla gets an "F" for ability to evacuate during a disaster

Accord

S. Florida gets 'F' for ability to evacuate in disaster

BY PABLO BACHELET

pbachelet@MiamiHerald.com

WASHINGTON - South Florida ranked 34 among 37 major U.S. urban centers for its capacity to evacuate its population in the face of a disaster emergency, according to a study released today by the American Highway Users Alliance.

Only New York, Chicago and Los Angeles fared worse. Overall, 20 metropolitan areas with a population of one million or more got an ''F'' grade by the group that brings together highway users like bus companies, truckers and RV enthusiasts.

Kansas City was the only city that received an ''A'' grade.

The study took into account last year's experience with the Hurricanes Katrina and Rita,route capacity at the exits of an urban area, the ability of roads to deliver traffic to those exit routes and the access to automobiles by the local population.

The availability of trains and other mass transit systems were also taken into account.

The study included Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, but not Monroe.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/...ws/15742217.htm

From what I can tell, it's an auto industry-led advocacy group devoted toward getting government to spend as much as possible on transportation projects.

In this study, they're not really giving South Florida's disaster management operation an F; they're giving our roads / transportation system an F. I'd be inclined to agree with that assessment.

From what I can tell, it's an auto industry-led advocacy group devoted toward getting government to spend as much as possible on transportation projects.

In this study, they're not really giving South Florida's disaster management operation an F; they're giving our roads / transportation system an F. I'd be inclined to agree with that assessment.

boston did awful in this too...no real surprise...basically...when the next terrorist attack happens, alot of people will die...probably more than 9/11...and there isnt much we can/will do about it

when the next terrorist attack happens, alot of people will die...probably more than 9/11...and there isnt much we can/will do about it

Yes there is. We can be proactive and fight them on their turf.

Except nobody truly knows where that is, making that argument useless.

Or if somebody has told you where they are, please let me know.

when the next terrorist attack happens, alot of people will die...probably more than 9/11...and there isnt much we can/will do about it

Yes there is. We can be proactive and fight them on their turf.

yeah...thats working great in iraq...where we are creating terrorists nearly as fast as we are losing them in afghanistan...god...why in the hell did you direct bush to iraq? did you just watch three kings or something?