Mike Gonzalez for Mike Jacobs?

Fishfan79

Another who likely -- though not certainly -- is out of the mix is the Florida Marlins' Mike Jacobs, an infielder who hit 20 home runs as a rookie last season. Florida covets a closer, and the Pirates have others to fill the role if Mike Gonzalez were moved, but Marlins general manager Admin Beinfest is thought leery of moving Jacobs because of uncertainty on the depth chart behind him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06338/743331-63.stm

If Beinfest could pull that off it would be a complete and utter steal!

It might be wise to wait and if he's healthy or least was examined by Dr. Andrews before making any deal for Gonzalez who BTW will entering his first year of arbitration next fall,meaning he'll go from being a $400K pitcher to a multi-million dollar pitcher.

I don't know the answer but I'm curious if anyone knows what the current going rate is for a first year arb eligible closer is? I would assume, if Dontrelle got $4.35 million in his first year, a quality closer has to be what, $2 million +/-? Maybe more. And that would onlybe the beginning of the cost spiral.

I suppose you could bring him in with the idea of trading him at the end of the season if a stadium deal isn't in place and I guess the Fish could live with a year beyond that if he proved healthy and productive enough, but beyond that, until stadium revenues are flowing, I don't know how many mega-million $$ salaries the Marlins will take on at any given time.

But in the moment, thinking about 2007 only, his health would be the biggest decision factor.

how about bringing him in then using him to flip to TB in a package for a CF? They need a closer badly too.

Why? :banghead

We lose our firstbaseman, my assumption is Gonzalez alone doesn't get it done so we lose another player, probably a pitcher, so Pittsburgh gets what they need, Tampa Bay gets what they need and we have simply shifted our need from centerfield to first base, and perhaps are now short a starter, or if we move Willingham there, we now need a leftfielder (and I am not in the "let's platoon Cody and Borchard out there because the stats say it will work" camp) and we still need a closer.

Besides, Tampa and Pittsburgh could probably do that deal without us. Gonzalez and a starter for Baldelli.

I think I'm one of the few who is still in Jacobs' camp, so if we're going to trade him doing so for a closer isn't a great idea unless it's KRod.

That said, Gonzalez does interest me. But not at that price.

I think I'm one of the few who is still in Jacobs' camp, so if we're going to trade him doing so for a closer isn't a great idea unless it's KRod.

I hope there are more than a few in his camp. He hit 20 homers as a rookie with a bum ankle all year. I say we give him a chance when healthy and let him get experience hitting lefties. I am hoping we keep him. Plus we have so much minor league pitching I don't see why we can't part with a little of that for a CF'er.

Exactly. And let me join you in the Jacobs camp. I think he has a chance at an excellent career ahead ofhim

I do have an off the wall idea though.

Kansas City is awash in would be centerfielders with deJesus owning the position. My thinking has been, let's go get someone young and perhaps not an "A" candidate and see if we can mold him into a regular centerfielder. If the candidate can play defense and hit .265+ and has speed we are so far ahead of last season's first half Abercrombie experiment it's ridiculous. If it doesn't work we can always try something else come July. (.265 sound ehhhh, but remember .265 = 17 hits less over a season than a .300 hitter)

So anyways, KC has three people who fit my definition. Joey Gathright who had a good season once out Tampa Bay htting .300 in August and Sept but school is still out on him offensively, Shane Costa, young kid who will be their fourth outfielder who has done well for himself, and an even younger Mitch Maier who had a great minor league season and excellent AFL hitting .350 and from what I've read has a great glove and arm but very very little MLB experience.

They also have Ryan Shealy who they got from Colorado who was perpetually blocked by Todd Helton and has had a few injuries along the way but otherwise had a fine minor league career and has major league experience, plays 1st base is *righty*, has power.

What kind of makes it work is the trade involved three teams who are otherwise being frozen out of this white hot, super expensive free agent/trading market and helps each team where they each needs help.

It's all BS so I have no problem with anyone tearing it apart but the thing that interests me is three low budget teams conceivably all get better without it costing any of them any money.

Just a thought.

Kansas City needs pitching big time. They have positional prospects coming out their ears, they are like a poor man's LA Angels in that regard.

This is just pie in the sky stuff but, Sergio Mitre, Jose Garcia and a top prospect (West, Marcaux, let Ramp pick'em) for one of the three CFers and Shealy, who we keep and send Jacobs off to Pittsburgh. Shealy btw was a player Pittsburgh was interested at one time but now it appears they are looking for a left-handed bat. If they want Shealy they take Shealy and Jacobs stays, otherwise Jacobs goes and Shealy stays.

KC winds up with a starting pitcher, one who starts this season, a second who conceivably could start this season if not next and a third who is two years away. We wind up with a centerfielder and a closer and an equivalent first baseman. Pittsburgh winds up the lefty power 1st baseman they want and a quality pitching prospect.