How did it ever happen...

Eddie Altamonte

The lack of position players plagues the whole farm system

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/base...on/marlins.html

For all the pride the Marlins take in their stockpile of pitching prospects, their lack of position prospects has become notable. That led to a .467 combined winning percentage for their six minor league affiliates last year. Only their Gulf Coast League entry managed a winning record, and even that was fairly modest (29-24).

While I'd like to suggest trading Smith, Gonzalez and Choi to support the 2003-5 teams had an impact, it's really been the draft. The outfielders we've picked up are Eric Reed and Reggie Abercrombie clones. Highly specialized or highly talented, but lacking fundamental skills.

We traded a few players several years ago...their loss should be affecting our farm system very little by now. I really have a hard time understanding why this FO can't hit on a position prospect every once in a while in the draft.

I think are main problem is that we are unwilling to part with any of our "talented" pitching prospects to bring any balance to our farm system. For example, look at how we acquired Mike Lowell from the Yanks. Lowell was being blocked by a reigning World Series MVP, and the Marlins had several prospects (most notably Ed Yarnell) that were being blocked by higher ceiling pitchers. Sure, Yarnell was one of our better pitching prospects, but we had nobody at 3rd base. At the time, it seemed like a trade that benefited everyone. Although we acquired Lowell to at least compete for the starting 3B opening, nothing was guaranteed at the time. L

I think are main problem is that we are unwilling to part with any of our "talented" pitching prospects to bring any balance to our farm system. For example, look at how we acquired Mike Lowell from the Yanks. Lowell was being blocked by a reigning World Series MVP, and the Marlins had several prospects (most notably Ed Yarnell) that were being blocked by higher ceiling pitchers. Sure, Yarnell was one of our better pitching prospects, but we had nobody at 3rd base. At the time, it seemed like a trade that benefited everyone. Although we acquired Lowell to at least compete for the starting 3B opening, nothing was guaranteed at the time. L

I would love to see our FO do those kinds of trades, because we know full well we don't have the position players to be a legitimate contender. I think the problem is that most teams know we are thick in pitching and are trying to rip us off because of it (see, Devil Rays). Once teams realize that Beinfest is sticking to what he has perhaps teams will be able to make more even trades with us, like the Vargas deal with the Mets which made sense for both parties involved.

We traded a few players several years ago...their loss should be affecting our farm system very little by now. I really have a hard time understanding why this FO can't hit on a position prospect every once in a while in the draft.

I'm not arguing the FO isn't pitching crazy in the draft, but they did develop Hermida and Willingham.

I'm not arguing the FO isn't pitching crazy in the draft, but they did develop Hermida and Willingham.

Josh wasn't an outfielder

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.