Stop crying Cub fans...

jonnylons

I try to be fair about things and welcome any team to kick the Cub's sad azz butts. :monkey _wink Believe me, I've lived in this hell hole, I mean Chicago my whole life and more than realize the Cubs got what's coming to them. If you thought the whole idea of scalping your own tickets wasn't sad enough, just check out their latest scam: :angry

Cubs' season over, but scams go on and on

October 24, 2003

BY GREG COUCH SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Steve Martin used to have a bit in which he said you could become a millionaire and never pay taxes. Never pay taxes, you say? How? Well, when the IRS calls about why you didn't pay up, just say -- and imagine Martin hamming it up -- "I ... forgot.''

Come to think of it, this could work for a lot of things. You could blackmail your own loved ones, and if they catch you, tell them, "I forgot'' to tell you there were other terms you could follow.

And that brings us to the Cubs and their loved ones, specifically season-ticket holders. As we know, the Cubs didn't quite make it to the World Series. But their season-ticket holders already had paid for World Series tickets.

No problem, you think. The Cubs just have to give back the money, and everything is fair and square.

It's not that easy.

The Cubs apparently had no intention of returning that money. When the season-ticket holders bought tickets for the entire postseason, the Cubs sent them a form saying basically that if the team didn't make the playoffs or advance to the World Series, then their money would be "automatically'' applied to next year's ticket order.

Next year's money isn't due until January. So the Cubs would be holding and earning interest on money that doesn't belong to them for three months. Let's estimate conservatively that season-ticket holders bought 15,000 World Series tickets per game for three games. Let's say they averaged $150 a ticket, which was near the low end for Series box seats. Multiply that out, and it comes to roughly $6.75 million of other people's money in the Cubs' pockets.

Want to go to the World Series, season-ticket holders? Fine. But only if you pony up for a $6.75million interest-free loan.

And thanks for your loyalty.

Is that blackmail?

Last month I wrote about this, and apparently a number of season-ticket holders complained to the Cubs. Here's what Cubs fan Gregory Davert wrote to me:

"We called the box office with the same concern as some of your readers referencing them keeping our money. ... They told us that we can get a refund mailed to us or applied to next season's tickets. They said that they forgot to print that on the paperwork.''

They forgot.

Luckily, the White Sox had better memories, remembering to put the refund option on their form.

A few other readers said similar things about the Cubs telling them they "forgot.'' Now, in fairness, it's true that sometimes people do forget things. Important things.

Do you believe the Cubs? Consider this: Season-ticket holder Stephanie Leathers, who saves her e-mails, became upset about this the minute she got her order form, before I wrote about it. So she sent an e-mail to Cubs assistant ticket manager Brian Garza, asking if it was true she wouldn't get her money back.

He wrote back saying it was true.

She wrote again, asking why there was no option for a refund, as in previous years when the Cubs sold playoff tickets. He replied that there was no option because in previous years, most people just sent the money back in.

Looking for an explanation, I wrote to Cubs ticket manager Frank Maloney on Wednesday. He e-mailed back that "in the past, present and future, customers always have the option of being refunded for any game unplayed at Wrigley by check.''

Let's go over the results. Before the Cubs were called on it, they officially told their fans through the ticket office that they couldn't have their money back. After being called on it, they said they "forgot'' to mention that they could get their money back and always were able to.

Whether you believe they forgot or just tried to rip you off comes down to credibility.

But the Cubs' forgetfulness to ticket buyers wasn't limited to that form this year. Cubs fans are as loyal as Labradors, waiting patiently 95 years for a winner. You might know that this year, the Cubs rewarded that loyalty by trying to make a dirty profit from it, scalping tickets to their fans in a bait-and-switch scam at their new shop, Wrigley Field Premium Ticket Services.

Well, over the years, the Cubs have threatened season-ticket holders by sending a form that says if they sell their unused tickets to brokers, they could lose their season-ticket rights. But overseen by Premium is a new business called "Season Ticket Exchange,'' which allows season-ticket holders to unload unused tickets above face value on the Internet.

The operation of the Exchange is somewhat confusing, but the Cubs are either running it or at least a party to it. They apparently collect roughly 15 percent of all sales through the Exchange.

So it's sell to other brokers, and you're punished. Sell through our broker, and it's OK.

Pesky antitrust laws being what they are, the Cubs decided to allow season-ticket holders to sell to any broker this year. But then on a form sent to bleachers season-ticket holders before this year, the threat was still there. Why wasn't it removed?

In the courtroom on the stand in the class-action ticket-scalping suit against them, the Cubs raised their hands and said this under oath:

We forgot.

They seem to forget only things that could cost them money.

They also seem to have forgotten to tell their season-ticket holders that they might be violating Illinois scalping laws by using the Exchange. It's another lawsuit waiting to happen, and the season-ticket holders, along with the Cubs, might be the ones to get sued.

So you can believe that the Cubs honestly have bad memories. But I believe that this was the big and powerful trying to take advantage of the little guy. The Cubs seem to make a habit of that.

But this time, the little guys stood tall together and forced a change.

It can happen. To me, this is a touching story.

But what else are the Cubs doing to their fans? We all have to keep watching.

The good news, season-ticket holders, is that if you have to defend yourself in court against scalping charges, at least you'll have that World Series ticket money to pay your lawyers.

I wouldn't have stuck my hand out to try to catch it because I'd be ducking, but I honeslty believe that had it happened in St. Louis, yes, the fan probably would have been booed but more of the booing would be because the ump didn't rule interferrence, but I also honestly believe that Cardinals fans would not tell him he cost of the WS and they would not throw beer at him.

That Cubs fan as a place in Cardinals or Marlins nation if he wants it. I feel that both our teams fans would treat him good for the rest of his life. ;)

Great post, ST!!!

I love your Kile quote in your signature... :)

I am the one who has the Darryl Kile Fan Club on Yahoo and I have another board name too...David Eckstein's Angel (from the Angels Community Board)

:marlins